Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Mossberg 464 (30-30) to save my 94's and 336's, most of which are still NIB
It's inexpensive and I don't care if i bump/ding/scratch it.
It's lighter and cycles a lot smoother than the other two.
Shoots great also.

The Win/Marlin's will go up in price and will be harder to find in new/great condition.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I figure I will use mine since a good gun that is taken care of will last 100 years or more. I just don't like leaving good guns in a box.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
+1, rhendrix. I own all my firearms to use, I don't make enough money to have the luxury of letting thousands of dollars of unused equipment sit around haunting my safe. Most of the firearms I have were new or like new when they were acquired, some others were not. They all have some use on them, now, though. The receiver on my oldest firearm was made in 1894, and is still in great shape. A firearm need not be NIB or like new to be in great shape. Use and take care of it, don't abuse it, and there's no reason to let a firearm that you would otherwise get more enjoyment out of languish...it can stay in great mechanical shape for a lifetime, even if it collects a little 'character' along the way via scratches and bumps and such. Life is short. Anything that sits in my safe and doesn't get used gets sold...the only reason something would sit around in my safe without use is because I like another firearms that does the same job better. My safe holds two Marlins right now that will keep their place there, probably until I pass from this world.

Sounds like you might have found a Mossberg that you like better than your Marlins, Tin Star. Nothing wrong with that, if that's the case. If you'd really rather be using your Marlins, though, I'd say do it.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Use them and and take care of them. Who are you saving them for anyhow. They will never go up enough in value to make a difference in your life time. Why deprive yourself life will do it for you. USE IT! OR LOSE IT.

TO NY
PS Hey you can makeup a better excuse then that can't you. ???
I want to save my Marlin and my Winchesters. RIGHT! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Good luck with your 464

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My brother bought one (Mossberg 464)for his sons first deer rifle...not an early Marlin but a nice shooting gun none the less..his gun shoots under 2" at 100 and is fairly smooth too...I just got him a load of LeverEvo ammo for his birthday as well as a nice Bushnell scope...I'll get him all fixed up that I'll have a great shooting buddy for the rest of my days

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Got no use for safe queens. I use them, and never abuse them.
If you wear it out, you got reason to buy another.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got one of those a couple of months back - I like it quite a bit myself. Mine's real smooth as well, and hasn't choked on anything I've fed it so far. I put a Skinner Lo-Pro sight on it and removed the factory sight (the factory sight is really my only complaint against it). I still like my Marlins better, but the 464 is a nice little rifle in its own right and well worth the money I spent on it.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Even my high dollar limited edition 1894 in 44-40 sees a lot of use. That's use not abuse.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have lots of NIB because I plan to pass them down to my two daughters.
I do use one win96 and one 336, to hunt with.
Plus several Marlin 60's that get a LOT of use, along with my 1895m.
The Mossberg is for everyday use/carry on the family ranch.
I can do things with it that I would never do with my 94/336.

It rides with me now on the atv, tractor, dashboard, etc. If it gets scratched, dinged, dropped.....I don't care.
It is my BEATER gun...................and I love it.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
How is the extractor on the 464. I heard there was a problem with them at one. Is it still a problem?

TO NY

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've fired 42 rounds (7 tubes full) through mine and cycled snap-caps and dummy rounds through probably another 100-150 times and my extractor seems to be hanging in there like a champ!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like it was the first year batch that had the problems.
Have about 150 rounds through mine with no problems. Got a spare from Mossberg just in case.
The more you shoot it, the better it feels.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Anachronism said:
I've fired 42 rounds (7 tubes full) through mine and cycled snap-caps and dummy rounds through probably another 100-150 times and my extractor seems to be hanging in there like a champ!
Great new. I sometimes shoot 100 rounds in a single day at the range. I asked that question because it was a issue at one time. I even read that some 464 owner would carry an extra extractor with them. I also read that this problem was fix.
Not talking bad about the 464, hell! I like them. They fill in the void of the Win. 94. I just wish Mossberg would make it in a Big Bore like the 444. I would buy one the day it put in the gun shops racks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I read those reports about broken extractors as well. I read somewhere else (can't recall where right off the top of my head) that Mossberg had some heat-treat problems or something of that nature with the first batches of extractors in the 464. I was a bit wary of the extractor and that's why I made myself 6 dummy rounds (no powder and a pencil eraser for a primer) so I could cycle a bunch of rounds through the action while sitting at home. I'd probably have a spare extractor anyway if they sold parts for them through Numrich or MidwayUSA, but I haven't needed one yet (knock on wood). Once all this snow melts and the mud dries up here in arctic Oklahoma I'll be back out putting more rounds through it - I've got quite a backlog of rifles that need some shootin' though. This bad weather gives me way to much time to tinker and change stuff.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Tin Star said:
I have lots of NIB because I plan to pass them down to my two daughters.
I do use one win96 and one 336, to hunt with.
Plus several Marlin 60's that get a LOT of use, along with my 1895m.
The Mossberg is for everyday use/carry on the family ranch.
I can do things with it that I would never do with my 94/336.

It rides with me now on the atv, tractor, dashboard, etc. If it gets scratched, dinged, dropped.....I don't care.
It is my BEATER gun...................and I love it.
My two daughters will inherit my guns as well. And along with them, they shall inherit all the memories we made together with them and my love for them. They will remember me working on them, carrying them, teaching them how to shoot them, and my passion for them. Nicks, scratches, and all. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Anachronism said:
I read those reports about broken extractors as well. I read somewhere else (can't recall where right off the top of my head) that Mossberg had some heat-treat problems or something of that nature with the first batches of extractors in the 464. I was a bit wary of the extractor and that's why I made myself 6 dummy rounds (no powder and a pencil eraser for a primer) so I could cycle a bunch of rounds through the action while sitting at home. I'd probably have a spare extractor anyway if they sold parts for them through Numrich or MidwayUSA, but I haven't needed one yet (knock on wood). Once all this snow melts and the mud dries up here in arctic Oklahoma I'll be back out putting more rounds through it - I've got quite a backlog of rifles that need some shootin' though. This bad weather gives me way to much time to tinker and change stuff.
I believe I read that Mossberg was sending new extractor free to owner of 464 on request at one time.
TO NY

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eli Chaps said:
It'll be a long time before standard model Marlins are worth much of anything.

Shame to have them just sitting around. :-\
We are already reading about people who are looking for a good used or a NIB, made in CT one.
The CT ones will, IMO, command a little more in a few years.
Marlin purist will always demand a CT one over one made in NY.
Time will tell......

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
It'll be a long time before standard model Marlins are worth much of anything.

Shame to have them just sitting around. :-\
You are right, I have no clue why folks do this. Once you are dead and gone, your kids, wife, whomever, will be selling this stuff in a yard sale and you'll have missed enjoying them. It's truly sad. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
to each his own, i couldnt do that, but do what you want, at least you have plenty others to shoot. I have 4 kids so far so I need to buy some more Marlins to pass down, wink wink ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts