Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been locked out of MO for a while and couldn't get a message to an admin to fix it. For the moment my forum name is reflex264-2. Here is the last 444 I scrounged up. One of the earliest 444s in existence. It goes good with my other first model. I am currently building a custom 444 on a first model. It is getting Treebone wood, Skinner express sights with the quick detach mount and more goodies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have been locked out of MO for a while and couldn't get a message to an admin to fix it. For the moment my forum name is reflex264-2. Here is the last 444 I scrounged up. One of the earliest 444s in existence. It goes good with my other first model. I am currently building a custom 444 on a first model. It is getting Treebone wood, Skinner express sights with the quick detach mount and more goodies.
Nice! Wish they still made butt stocks like that.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bout time you made it back, I’ve wondered how your hunting exploits have went. How was turkey season?
Glad you didn't burn the place down while I was gone! lol
Turkey this year was a bust. I had a nasty staph infection on my leg that I couldn't shake. I got to hunt just enough to say I did it. Last year was awesome. I put one in the record book, killed one with my 1928 Lefever double and another with the 28 gauge 870 I fixed up to turkey hunt with. I have had several great years deer hunting. Most of them by handgun. One with my 450 marlin. One 315lbs monster.

·
Super Moderator
13,545 Posts
Welcome back. I was wondering where you went. I heard your name mentioned (forum handle) a few weeks ago in regards to that video you made 13 or 14 years ago shooting deer out to 300+ with your 1895.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Welcome back. I was wondering where you went. I heard your name mentioned (forum handle) a few weeks ago in regards to that video you made 13 or 14 years ago shooting deer out to 300+ with your 1895.
Good to be back. Yep I was having to shoot deer on depredation permits. They called us crop snipers. About the same time a discussion came up about the effective range of a 45-70. All of the arm chair ballistics experts crawled out of the woodwork. I took all of it I could take. When I told them I shot deer offhand at 300 yards they had a come apart so we proceeded to video the 45-70 in action. It was a horrible job but had to be done. There were over 1000 deer in one square mile eating soybeans like they were going out of style. The one clip that really corked them was the heart shot on a running doe at 247 yards. The video was gory but effective. I shot hundreds of deer over a 10 year span. No way to count them. Not unusual to shoot 30-40 an evening. It provided me with an education in all manner of bullet and cartridge performance that couldn't have been learned any other way.

·
Super Moderator
13,545 Posts
Good to be back. Yep I was having to shoot deer on depredation permits. The called us crop snipers. About the same time a discussion came up about the effective range of a 45-70. All of the arm chair ballistics experts crawled out of the woodwork. I took all of it I could take. When I told them I shot deer offhand at 300 yards they had a come apart so we proceeded to video the 45-70 in action. It was a horrible job but had to be done. There were over 1000 deer in one square mile eating soybeans like they were going out of style. The one clip that really corked them was the heart shot on a running doe at 247 yards. The video was gory but effective. I shot hundreds of deer over a 10 year span. No way to count them. Not unusual to shoot 30-40 an evening. It provided me with an education in all manner of bullet and cartridge performance that couldn't have been learned any other way.
That video was really something, and opened up my young teenage eyes and dispelled a lot of the myths I grew up being taught about lever actions and big bore cartridges. I now shoot BPCR Silhouette, and sometimes after the match we reach on out to 830 yards and 1000 yards with our 45/70's, 40/65's, and all other manner of obsolete, black powder cartridges that the arm chair ballistics experts claim can't make it much past the 100 yard mark.

I hope to see this 444 do some long range shooting. If that's you running the Tennessee Handgun Hunters page on FB, I've watched some of your exploits on deer with revolvers as well. It's neat to see.

·
Banned
20,659 Posts
Welcome back!

Reactions: reflex264

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That video was really something, and opened up my young teenage eyes and dispelled a lot of the myths I grew up being taught about lever actions and big bore cartridges. I now shoot BPCR Silhouette, and sometimes after the match we reach on out to 830 yards and 1000 yards with our 45/70's, 40/65's, and all other manner of obsolete, black powder cartridges that the arm chair ballistics experts claim can't make it much past the 100 yard mark.

I hope to see this 444 do some long range shooting. If that's you running the Tennessee Handgun Hunters page on FB, I've watched some of your exploits on deer with revolvers as well. It's neat to see.
That is me. I handgun hunt 95% of the time now. I use revolvers, automatics and TCs.
Most people only knew what they read. When you are actually out doing it every day it doesn't take long to learn big bullets like to travel too. At the time we made that video I was testing ammo and doing pressure testing weekly. It was hard to read all the posts calling the 45-70 a 150 yard cartridge when I shot a deer the day before at 250 to 300 yards. Very cool that you are shooting BPCR Silhouette. I have a project rifle I need to get back to work on. It will be set up for BPCR. 45-110 with a 28" barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts