Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am pondering taking a chance on a new one hoping things have gotten better with them, my question is:

How can you tell when it was manufacturered? For example "MR71" would mean?

Is anyone having good or bad luck with recent 336C's?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Good luck is had when all the right things are checked prior to laying down your cash. With Remington production rifles you need to look it over with a fine tooth comb like you would with a used rifle. Browse the Marlin Rant section here to collect a list of flaws to watch for.

You can decipher the Remington manufacture date codes from a link within the marlinowners.com thread pasted below. The link doesn't include the current year but it is alphabetical so you can determine for yourself the newer year to letter code easily.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-years-manufacture/9065-remington-dates-mfg.html

Good luck in your search. The good ones and pretty good ones are out there but they do require sifting through a few lemons to find the one you want to take home.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With Remington production rifles you need to look it over with a fine tooth comb like you would with a used rifle. Browse the Marlin Rant section here to collect a list of flaws to watch for.
Is there a quick summary of flaws to look for somewhere?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I haven't looked at any new ones recently, but many say they are getting better for what that is worth, and a lot of folks have had no issues as well. Personally, I would prefer to handle one first-hand if possible before opening my wallet from some of the stories I've read/seen just to be safe. As others have mentioned, the "rant" forum has info and pictures of what to look for better than I can explain; most of which seem to do with wood fit and/or canted sights, etc. That said, my .35 rem is probably my favorite lever to use, and goes along with me to camp/hunt each year either as the primary or back-up rifle. Good luck to you, and think you'll like the caliber too...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't mean this to be trite, but there are just too many good deals on JMs out there to buy a new Marlin, IMO. I've heard they've gotten better, and I'm sure there are some fine new ones being made, but I wouldn't trade my '81 SC model of the used rack for 2 new ones. Is there a reason you are looking for a new model over a nice used one?

·
Premium Member
24,628 Posts
I would agree with the prior post.
There are many earlier 336's of fine quality made by
original marlin staff who took great pride in their work.

These can be had at much cheaper prices than a new MR.
I currently own 14,none were purchased new, and all of them
are fine rifles.
You may even be able to buy two of these for the price one
new one would cost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a couple of bad experiences buying used; it always seems like even if I look something over I'll miss something. I prefer new so I have the backing of the company to repair/fix it if it doesn't work properly although I realize that is dependent on how decently the company takes care of its customers. With that said, I do realize that there are some exceptional used deals out there.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I set out on a mission to find a previously owned 336 .35 Rem this morning and the first stop gave me the choice of a 1950 336A in decent condition but d&t'd with scope. Was pretty nice looking but my second option was a 1983 336CS scoped in very nice condition for $20 more. The shop opened at 10 am and by 10:50 I was on my way home with a VERY nice 336CS. Don't mind the crossbolt safety at all and it was in great condition (with character, of course).Yesterday I scored a 1996 336CS in like new condition in .30-30 so I'm back in action. I have .30-30 ammo (that's why I had to buy the rifle) but in three places, I've come up short on .35 Rem. No rush. Deer season doesn't open until Nov. 15.

If the 1950 model hadn't been scoped, I'd have gone for it for collector's value. Still thinking about going back for it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've had a couple of bad experiences buying used; it always seems like even if I look something over I'll miss something. I prefer new so I have the backing of the company to repair/fix it if it doesn't work properly although I realize that is dependent on how decently the company takes care of its customers. With that said, I do realize that there are some exceptional used deals out there.
I get your logic. Thing with firearms is many of the companies are not producing at the quality they used to, without paying a premium. Not just Remlins. Also, I've heard about as many bad stories about customer service as I have problems with manufacturing. Do what makes you feel best, as that's all that matters. Don't know if it matters at all to you, but JM Marlins will be much more sought after for a long time if you look to sell. Two of my Marlins were off the used rack and I've had no issues. I suppose you take your chances either way, but I'm not sure I would factor in factory repair service and warranties in my decision.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Being that we are at the end of July, the OP has time to look for a JM Marlin 35 REM. Patience is in order. If you are not buying the rifle to hunt this season, you have even more time.

I would urge you to looke for a used JM Marlin first before running out a buying a new Remlin. One of the worst things that can happen is you get a Remlin and it has to make several trips back to the factory to try to get it right.

Check Gunbroker.com and Armslist.com and search in your State first. 35 REMs are not always available every week so take a little time to try to find one. Also look for Estate Auctions and local gun shows where you might find a JM Marlin 35 REM that is a keeper.

If you are unable to find one within a few months, you can always looke for a new one later. New guns provide instant gratification but take your time, its your money.

Mike T.

PS I bought all my Marlins used, every one works great and are worth more to me than any new Remlin you can buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I set out on a mission to find a previously owned 336 .35 Rem this morning and the first stop gave me the choice of a 1950 336A in decent condition but d&t'd with scope. Was pretty nice looking but my second option was a 1983 336CS scoped in very nice condition for $20 more. The shop opened at 10 am and by 10:50 I was on my way home with a VERY nice 336CS. Don't mind the crossbolt safety at all and it was in great condition (with character, of course).Yesterday I scored a 1996 336CS in like new condition in .30-30 so I'm back in action. I have .30-30 ammo (that's why I had to buy the rifle) but in three places, I've come up short on .35 Rem. No rush. Deer season doesn't open until Nov. 15.

If the 1950 model hadn't been scoped, I'd have gone for it for collector's value. Still thinking about going back for it.

I have a 1950 336 in 35, same deal (drilled and tapped on top). But worse, someone else drilled and tapped the side for a side mounted scope at some point. Shot it with iron sights at 50 yards, still a 5 shot group I could almost cover with my thumb. Great rifle, but it's a beater at this point unfortunately. Picked it up last month for $250, so not too upset. Just wish it would have been treated better in it's life.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 1950 336 in 35, same deal (drilled and tapped on top). But worse, someone else drilled and tapped the side for a side mounted scope at some point. Shot it with iron sights at 50 yards, still a 5 shot group I could almost cover with my thumb. Great rifle, but it's a beater at this point unfortunately. Picked it up last month for $250, so not too upset. Just wish it would have been treated better in it's life.
Nothing wrong with a $250 rifle that shoots that good and you don't mind beating around with. I have much more expensive rifles that don't shoot as well that are too nice to take outside. LOL. I bet your rifle is happy to have finally found a good home:)

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Forgot to mention that a previous owner also inscribed his d/l # or ssn (don't remember which now) on the left side of the receiver too.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Some people are plain stupid. Fortunately the JM Marlins that I have bought have had better treatment than that. In some cases never fired, and other cases, fired but cleaned and treated with respect.

People that trash their guns probably beat their dog too.

Mike T.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Don't do it!Why would you take a chance on getting a lemon,when a good used Conn Marlin can be had for the same price,or even less?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Think of it . For as little as 350. to 400. dollars you can buy a gun with history . Buy an original and true Marlin if you can. I would say from my experience 50 % of the used marlins out there where hardly even used. Maybe they where pulled out for deer season and a week later put back in the rack. Just look around and you will find a winner. Good luck.
PS. I'm sure some of the new remlins are OK, But I wont buy one because of how the workers where dumped by Remington.

Reactions: RevDerb

·
Registered
658 Posts
I read where all you guys see these good deals on JM marlins and get green with envy and irritated at the same time. $550 dollars for a heavily used specimen is not a good deal. And that is all I see on gunbroker. If I'm wrong, please pm and set me straight as to where to find these good deals at. I'll buy at least 4 or 5 of them before I stop.

To the OP, I don't own a remlin. The ones I've handled, including this years models are not anywhere in the vicinity of the Marlins in finish or function. Some are so rough it literally frails my nerves to cycle them. And that excuse for a finish is far from what is needed to protect that gun for a lifetime. However, the fit seems much better in stock in-letting and such. Good luck and God Bless

1 - 20 of 28 Posts