Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions. I was looking at the Glock 30 or maybe a Sig but dont want to spend more than $600.

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
The Glock is a good gun. Time to time I carry a Glock 21. Believe TTT on the big-bore forum still has a Glock 36 single-stack in .45 ACP and likes it.

I much prefer my 1911's, but that's probably just a personal thing. The .45 is a fine old cartridge, still going strong after nearly 100 years. Accurate, easy to shoot and reasonably powerful.

I carry one daily. You can still find excellent base model Dan Wesson and Kimbers for $600 - $750. A good used DW, Colt or Kimber could also be affordable. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
M700 said:
The Glock is a good gun. Time to time I carry a Glock 21. Believe TTT on the big-bore forum still has a Glock 36 single-stack in .45 ACP and likes it.

I much prefer my 1911's, but that's probably just a personal thing. The .45 is a fine old cartridge, still going strong after nearly 100 years. Accurate, easy to shoot and reasonably powerful.

I carry one daily. You can still find excellent base model Dan Wesson and Kimbers for $600 - $750. A good used DW, Colt or Kimber could also be affordable. Regards, Guy
It's been very servicable and reliable (G36) and easy to carry. I have considered trading (or getting another) due to not carring for the trigger and the resulting accuracy....Having said that, I've shot several grouse with it and it's accurate enough. Been considering a 1911 or a S&W .45acp revolver or even a .45acp/45LC BH.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M700 what about the springfield 1911's a guy told me that might be the best for my buck?

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Springfields are popular. Not my first choice. Had one. It was a good gun, the slide eventually cracked, but I don't know how common that is with them. Most people I know with Springfield 1911's are happy with them. After all, Rob Leatham, one of the world's best pistol shooters uses Springfields.

My Dan Wesson is the most accurate 1911 I've ever used. My Kimber is stone reliable and reasonably accurate. The Kimber has seen years of hard use. Have had a Colt Officer's model (small version of 1911) for 20 years. It's still a good shooter.

I'm no 1911 expert, have been carrying them for 25 years, on duty and off. Marines & cop stuff. I prefer a good solid steel-frame full size 1911 and tend to avoid the low budet jobs.

If you take up the 1911, it's best to get someone who knows their way around them to show you how to get the most out of it. They can shoot very, very well.

Semper Fi, Guy

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
http://www.armscor.net/

Excellent gun,, under 350 here in Pa.. and shoot good.. mag built heavy like Wilson Combat..

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have as many 45's, as I have Marlin rifles.

I have twelve Colt 45's. Three of which are series 80's. The other nine are series 70's, four of which are Gold Cups. I also have a SA TRP Operator in 45ACP.

I worked for King Gun works for three years, I was the counter jumper. King Gun Works are one of the better known 45 smithing shops in the US.

I have been friends with Jim Hoag, a noted 45 gunsmith, for over 45 years.

Jim has modified nine of my 45's for me. And, they can really take a work out.

If you go to http://www.1911forum.com/ and do a search under Jim's name, you will get more than 150 hits. Guns magazine had a list of the top ten 45 smiths, and Jim was #5. Jim isn't on the Internet.

James W. Hoag, Gunsmith
8523 Canoga Ave.
Canoga Park, CA 91304
1 (818) 998-1510

You can mention my name if you want to, but he will probably charge you extra. LOL ...

Bill

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I guess what everyone, including me, has forgotten to ask is: What do you want to do with this .45?? If you can see/use the sights on the GI Springfield, your're good to go if you just want a tin can blaster or full size personal protection. Either Glock .45 is just fine for that, too (tho the sights are much better). If you want to do target or speed work, or better sights or ????....the sky's the limit. I'd be real happy with the Sig P220.....that's a real fine weapon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All of my 45's have had Bomar adjustable sights installed, as part of preparing the firearms for serious social occasions. The SA TRP Operator came with a Bomar, rear sight, installed.

I chose the 1911 style auto because of my experience with them, and the availability of spare parts. Such as when our economic system, goes south ...

Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would use it as a gun to take in the field just in case I run into anything in the woods. Also maybe to have in the car on trips for self defense. Would probablly not be used in the home for defense because I have a young daughter and one on the way and dont want anything to happen so it will remain unloaded in a safe while at home. Also would love to have a handgun to go shoot at a range every so often.

·
Registered
455 Posts
jojo said:
I would use it as a gun to take in the field just in case I run into anything in the woods. Also maybe to have in the car on trips for self defense. Would probablly not be used in the home for defense because I have a young daughter and one on the way and dont want anything to happen so it will remain unloaded in a safe while at home. Also would love to have a handgun to go shoot at a range every so often.
I understand your concern about fireams and little children. When around children, in a home, the firearm is always on me, or in the safe. And, at night, it is at hand, but carefully kept away from where a child would have access to it.

Protecting your home, is one of the best reasons for having a firearm handy. In my area, violent home invasion robberies, are a daily occurence.

Bill

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stillwater- You and I must not be too far apart in the " Far West"

Do you ever shoot out at San Gabriel Gun Club? Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Dave in LB said:
Stillwater- You and I must not be too far apart in the " Far West"

Do you ever shoot out at San Gabriel Gun Club? Maybe I'll see you there sometime.
We are almost, in each others hip pocket. I live in Carson.

Yes, I shoot at the San Gabriel valley Gun Club quiet a bit.

Do you work at large, chain (T) gun store in Signal Hill?

Bill

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes that would be me. I take it you've visited a time or too in the last year +? :wink: I hope we treated you right. By the way what made the connection to me and the store? I'm betting a little picture to the left side of the monitor.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Dave in LB said:
Yes that would be me. I take it you've visited a time or too in the last year +? :wink: I hope we treated you right. By the way what made the connection to me and the store? I'm betting a little picture to the left side of the monitor.
Dave:
No, it wasn't your picture, it was a post you made some time ago.

I know who you are now. You were showing a pistol to a guy, who acted real interested. And then walked out. You then said he does that all of the time. That has been about a year or more ago.

I will drop in, in a couple of days, and we can have some laughs together.

Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
jojo said:
jojo....

Sounds like a Springfield Mil-spec, like I have, would be just right for you. Unlike the WW2 mil-spec, it has large easy to see sights, large ejection port, beveled mag well, and other upgrades that the GI version doesn't have. It isn't made for competitive shooting, but is a good starting place if you ever desire something to build on. Since it is basically made to "mil-spec", it's a very dependable shooter.

Although I have other more powerful handguns for woods carry, it ought to be a great carry gun for those road trips you speak of. The 45acp wouldn't be my first choice for dangerous game like bear, but if that's what I had, I'm sure it could do the job in many circumstances.

It will group reasonably well at the range, but nothing to brag on this forum about.....good enough to feel pretty good about, though.....and fun!

As far as having it in the home for self defense, you ought to consider a quick opening lock box for it. I have a couple of these boxes in my home, and kids running around here all the time! I feel safe about my loaded hanguns in the home. They aren't that expensive, and the safe feeling you'll have in your gut is well worth it!

The price of a Springfield Mil-spec is probably around what I paid for mine several years ago......$425

hog

Here it is....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a SA GI 45 WWII edition. Like it real well. Know some folks that have upgraded it. Shoots well and got it for around $415 . Got it due to my dad was in the Pacific and saw alot of close combat (Army machine gunner) and out of 600 and some he was 1 of 3 to come back alive and in relative one piece. He had mentioned several times when his machine gun jammed and being over run using this to get out alive. He always spoke well of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for your replys. Hogship that springfield looks like it might be the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts