Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Times being what they are, I need to sell some guns I just don't use. One that I am thinking about selling is a 1971 Marlin Saddle Ring 336, chambered in .30-30
It is in good shape, has a new Pentax 1.75-5X scope, and shoots well.

I have no idea of what to ask for it though. At a recent gun show, Marlins were going for anywhere from $300 to $700, and of those, none seemed as nice as mine.

Can I get an idea here, of what to ask? Looking for a fair, but reasonable price point.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not a very good source of info on gun prices but I'm in the process of buying a '68' SRC in similar condition for $384. Total will be $400 after tax. Seems some members find these Texans for quite a bit less in southern locals but I never see the prices mentioned.

A lot depends on your location and a willing buyer but I'm thinking that you wouldn't be out of line asking $500 with scope and mounts. Members who have vastly superior Marlin knowledge should be along to put me in my place.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I would need more pics.....close ups, but from that pic alone I'd be willing to give $400 for it without the scope, rings, mount...

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
From what I can see in your pic..it looks in very good shape. You wont have a problem selling it..

I feel the uncontrollable desire to purchase it myself ;D got marlinitis Bad!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, what you say makes sense. If I decide to sell, I'll ask around $450.

I appreciate the help. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Just remember, it's "kosher" to sell a rifle for $100 "less" to a Marlin Owner than the price you would to a stranger on Gunbroker! :-*

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Mannlicher said:
thanks guys, what you say makes sense. If I decide to sell, I'll ask around $450.

I appreciate the help. ;D
Did you get my PM? If you're going to sell it for $450, I'll take it at that price. OK? Get back to me.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Mannlicher said:
Times being what they are, I need to sell some guns I just don't use. One that I am thinking about selling is a 1971 Marlin Saddle Ring 336, chambered in .30-30
It is in good shape, has a new Pentax 1.75-5X scope, and shoots well.

I have no idea of what to ask for it though. At a recent gun show, Marlins were going for anywhere from $300 to $700, and of those, none seemed as nice as mine.

Can I get an idea here, of what to ask? Looking for a fair, but reasonable price point.

Best wishes to you.

I don't know where some of the people get such low cost Marlins that I have seen mentioned on this forum. I am talking about ones in fair to very good condition not some rust pile with the wood all messed up either.

When you see used Marlins for sale up here in MT, ID, WY and WA state, in 'farm/lake country' in the Midwest or on the east coast where I grew up that are owned by a man or woman who takes excellent care of their personal property with pride, the Marlins go from $450. and UP. THIS was before the notice of the CT plant closing too! It depends on the style, the year, the caliber, condition, etc. of course. You do not see used 'cheap' Marlins or Wins or whatever. The CT ones are in HIGH demand now - I know this for a fact from our gun store owner/friend. Used or new - people are asking for them at their gun shows and at their store.

When MM sold his used Marlin 336 (Walnut/blued.) in a 35Remington caliber that he had for many years... the man did not dicker with the price even though we sold it on consignment. In fact, he still sees the man who bought it at that store and at our range and the man's friend said that if the one man did not BUY IT that day, he would buy it himself! The two of them shoot it at our range. Plus he bought some of MM's ammunition too. Factory ammunition not his reloads. I think that he even bought some of the 35Rem brass, dies and reloading stuff that MM was selling for that specific CALIBER too.

I never bought a used gun so I can't judge this on my personal basis... I am going by what I have SEEN in person in 3 different parts of the country though when it comes to prices! I have sold several firearms when I Downsized On Purpose, I did Not 'have to sell them', when I moved out west to a much smaller place, remarried later on from being a widow lady and I/we consolidated firearm calibers and due to my hand arthritis and I NEVER lost money selling a handgun or rifle. I never owned a shotgun.

Best wishes to you again. I hope that things work out for you in all areas of your life.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Catherine said:
I don't know where some of the people get such low cost Marlins that I have seen mentioned on this forum. I am talking about ones in fair to very good condition not some rust pile with the wood all messed up either.
I suppose it depends on the area you live and where you look. I just handled one while in Maine on Monday........it was a SRC Texan .30-30 in pretty good shape for $350. I almost bought it.......probably should have.

A lot of times I've got my best deals through a friend of a family member. I got a lot of great deals that way....... I once bought a SRC Texan in very good condition for $125 from a guy my dad knew.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I'm with Catherine on this topic. I do have a pawn contact that does not retail firearms, but lets me cherry pick between trips by the wholesaler. Now, don't misunderstand, I do not buy many-only the occasional one that I have a "need" for. Otherwise, the local market is strong for used but not abused Marlins, especially the harder to come by items like Octagons, saddle rings, pre-crossbolts and hard to find calibers. Even older plain old 336C (RC) .30-30s in nice used condition bring good money. I have made what I consider fair deals at gun shows on two Marlins in the last few years, but certainly no steals. I disagree that it is kosher to discount your merchandise $100 just because we are members of Marlin Owners, Just be fair. If you are selling because you need money, you and your family deserve a fair price. Just do not wait until things get urgent and you need to settle for a sale to some dealer, pawn shop, or some friend who happens to have a couple of hundred stashed away for opportune moments. Good luck, Jack

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian in FL said:
Did you get my PM? If you're going to sell it for $450, I'll take it at that price. OK? Get back to me.
Brian, yes, I did get your PM, and replied.

Sam

Catherine and Jack, Thanks for the kind words and sentiments.

I am selling this one because I promised my wife, in a fit of appeasement, that I would stop just stockpiling Marlins. I don't need to sell it really, but the money will pay for putting a Surefire light and mount on one of my 1911's. I need a good light on a good hand gun for my back woods camping trips. It would be nice to actually see what is going 'bump in the night'. ;D

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Catherine is right on the money for this part of the country, Montana. I see real beaters covered in rust with the wood messed up for 275 to 300. Anything in good shape is 400 plus as a start. Makes me wanta come visit some of you for a week or so. ;D Promise not to leave with a "family member" packed. :eek: ::) ;D DP

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
If you want to come visit us in NE Florida, just let us know. We've got a guest bedroom that hasn't been used yet. 8) :D

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Very Kind of you 2 kids, Brian. Not sure I could take the humidity. 33 years in Montana, I guy gets used to the dry air. If I head your way, you can see what I look like at the Post Office, second row, third from the left. :eek: ;D Sure would like to come and play with some of you guys and gals at your shoot, sound like fun. Just to let the cat out of the bag, Two Dot has set up a Lever Shoot over here in Billing, MT. the weekend after Fathers Day. That's the weekend after the Quigley Shoot over by Forsyth, Mt. DP

·
Registered
76 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Very Kind of you 2 kids, Brian. Not sure I could take the humidity. 33 years in Montana, I guy gets used to the dry air. If I head your way, you can see what I look like at the Post Office, second row, third from the left. :eek: ;D Sure would like to come and play with some of you guys and gals at your shoot, sound like fun. Just to let the cat out of the bag, Two Dot has set up a Lever Shoot over here in Billing, MT. the weekend after Fathers Day. That's the weekend after the Quigley Shoot over by Forsyth, Mt. DP
dpe.ahoy,
you live in Billings? I grew up there. Grade school, jr. high, and high school. In the past, I haven't had a chance to get back there, but my sister and her husband recently moved back into the house we grew up in so I plan to head west more often.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Give a shout out when ya do, always good to meet friends Face to Face. 8) There's a few of us in the area. Out here, in the area means with-in 300 miles. ;D DP

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
While not the least expensive, the cleanest older Marlins I've found in the last 4 yers have come from the North East.
My guess is that they care for them well when they bring 'em in from the snow, and pack 'em right for storage through the non-hunting months.

Unlike here in Texas and other parts of the country where they remain daily ranch tools for many of us, seeing daily use and /or carry, year 'round.
That's no excuse for abuse of a gun of course, but we do have tendency to put some careful miles on 'em.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brian, it was a treat to meet you and your wife today. Thanks for everything.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
It was nice meeting you too, Sam. Heck, it's always nice to meet a member from here. I hope you can make it to the gathering. You'd meet one heck of a lot of good people there.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
six_gunz said:
I would need more pics.....close ups, but from that pic alone I'd be willing to give $400 for it without the scope, rings, mount...
The price of 400. that six gunzs would offer is about right up here in NE PA as well. But like as already said location and how bad some one wants a strait stock 30/30 will factor in to the price good luck with your sale. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts