Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've gotten the fuel lines all changed and two new gas tanks installed, on to the clutch! It's been slowly losing clutch pressure again and we gotta figger out why. Btw, the pressure plate is less than two years old. Yeah something ain't right down there:hmmmm:

I've been wanting to swap the mechanical linkage on my SM465 4spd in my 74 Chevy to a hydraulic set up. The factory mechanical linkage just sucks. Unless I can magically find a factory hydraulic set up from a junk yard, I'll have to go aftermarket. One option is a hydraulic throwout bearing. The disadvantage to that is the adjustment is done with shims. So if there's ever a need for adjustment, the transmission and transfer case have to come out..... no easy feat being that the transfer case is 300lbs alone:ahhhhh:. Another option is a Novak adapter.... just curious if anyone has ever used one of these kits before with good results.

Hydraulic Slave Cylinder Retrofit for Chevrolet Engines

Oh the "fun" of having an old truck:biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I thought about going the the hydro clutch rout on my 84 chevy I have been restoring. I ended up rebuilding the stock pedal assembly with new bushings available at napa. The clutch rod holes that engauged the pedal were all worn oval so I drilled them oversized and used car door hinge bushings. Now my clutch pedal operates silently and smooth as glass. It took me a afternoon to do and around 15 bucks in supply. The whole purpose of my truck build is to make it bullet proof and simple so that no matter what it will come back from a off road adventure. The 292 six 465 trans and 205 case were top of the list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I built a Shelby Cobra replica 15 years ago and it is still on the road. I used a Tilton Racing hydraulic t/o bearing that is still in fine working order. I do not remember using shims to setup the unit but the initial setup is crucial as is a stop adjustment on the pedal so you don't over stroke it and pop the seal. With an 11" Centerforce dual friction clutch, the pedal is like a VW bug; very light and smooth.

Build site:Cobra Project Page

Roscoe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts