Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried this powder ( Hogdon Hybrid 100 V ) and had a good results ? I have tried it in .338 Win Mag in a couple loads because it was supposed to have a good safety margin with max loads being compressed. My test loads with Hybrid 100 so far have shown high pressure very early and no where close to a max listed load even following the recipe to the letter. :hmmmm2: The load data I was using is from the Winchester web page. It shows a max load of 70 gains ( compressed ) at 46,000 CUP pressure and this powder is supposed to have the lowest pressure of those listed. I got pierced primers and smoke coming out of the bolt at 67.5 grains. I checked case length and I marked the bullet when checking seating depth to make sure they weren't running into the lands. I also encountered early high pressure when I tried Hybrid with a 210 grain Swift bullet. I have just started reloading for this rifle but some of my loads were good right to the max with IMR 4831

·
Banned
52 Posts
I've used it in 338-06, 30-06 and 6.5 CM with good results.

You didn't state the bullet weight.

Why you would use a WRA website for a Hodgdon powder is odd.

A max load is a max load in the test rifle. What does your rifle do with factory loads ? What is your rifle ? Have you chronographed the loads ?

The max 4831 load has higher CUP w/210gr bullet than 100V. Are you 100% sure you are loading 100V ? Call Hodgdon.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my experience with Hybrid is a good example of why you should NEVER go straight to a max load. I hit the wall early with a load that should have had a good safety margin. I've run into this before where I encountered early pressure signs with a load that SHOULD have had more room to go. If I had tried a max load with Hybrid in my .338 it could have been scary. :help:
Never tried that powder but don't understand why people start at the max loads. I usually find best accuracy somewhere in the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.