Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I'm invited to go on a free cow-elk hunt on private land with my brother- inlaw this Dec, in New Mexico.
But i've only been able to shoot at 100yrds where i live. Iron sights i'm dead on, the gun is truely amazing. Brother-inlaw
said i need to practice at 200yrds. I can use his scoped 30-06 and shoot alittle before we go. But i'd sure like to take the
GG incase i could get a close shot. I know she'd go down and it would be nice being taken with my rifle. I would never take
a shot that i thought i could only wound the animal. Would my 405GR aimed at the top of the shoulder hit a kill spot at 200yds
or would it depend on the angle,shooting down or up. I'd have to buy a hard case and go through any airline bs. What do you think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I load a rem. 405gr. to about 1700fps out of my GG. With a 2.5 X fixed power tasco, I sight in 2" high at 100yrd. I'm down about 10" at 200 yards. This puts hits at 50 yd. around 2.5" high. I'm sorry to be a little vague on the details, but the 2.5X scope is the reason. However, it has served me well from 5-160 yards so far.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Whatever load you choose, practice and learn how your gun shoots, and the drop out to 200 yrds. Any 400gr bullet at that distance will make elk soup. 6-12 inches of drop (depending on load) shouldn't be hard to place into an Elks vitals with practice.

Good luck.

·
Banned
244 Posts
getting close to elk really isn't a problem. I've been hunting them with traditional archery equiptment for the last 20 years and get closer than 20 yards quite often. Use your hunting skills, play the wind and you can easily get inside 100 yrds.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would raise your 100 yard zero up to 2.5" inches or so and you should be about 10" low or so at 200. Shouldn't be too tough to make solid hits on elk with a zero like that out to 200. Practice as you can and try to find some place to practice at 200 to verify your 200 hits. Scotty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts