Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you hunt with a 45 Long Colt Cowboy?

If so, please share experiences.

Thanks,

Sights

Reactions: Maverick

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Haven't actually hunted with one but have shot a few things. Put down my bear, head shot and didn't recover the bullet. Have put down a few horses and cows, all head shots. Oh, and an elk that my 1 ton Ford didn't kill. The only bullet I've recovered was a pass thru on a draft horse, again head shot. The old Colt can be loaded from mild to wild, making it awfully versatile. 300 or so grains travelling something over 1000fps will not slow down quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer, even elk with a .45 Colt. I'd punch most anything as far as I could hit it. Saying that and meaning out to 100 or so yards. If you can hit your target the cartridge would do it's job. Good luck, Steve.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Im most definitely gonna hunt with my 45 Rossi this deer season. Looking at tang sites to put on it and gonna practice practice practice this summer. I can put on my Gilly suit and get within 50 yards of anything around here. Looking forward to it. Mine is a Cowboy as well. I say just go out and do it. Grab ya some Winchester 250gr HP and shoot for the lungs. Nothings going very far with a 45 hole though both of em.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
WAIT A MIN......DID SOME ONE SAY THEY SHOT THIER BEAR????

Hayden.
Years ago, long and unglamorous story. It was not long for the world, the 45 to the back of the head just shortened things up a bit. I like quick and clean. Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have not owned mine long enough to hunt with it yet. Still developing loads for it.

Having said that......

Knowing that the .45 colt in a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk with a 250-320 grain SWC at 1000-1300 fps will cleanly take just about anything you point it at in North America, adding another 200-300 fps or so in the rifle, I would not hesitate to try it on any non-dangerous

game inside of your rifles effective range. It just kills all out of proportion of it's size. Great combination.

I am leaning toward the 250 Keith bullet (RCBS-250-KT) for deer and general shooting. The 280 grain RCBS (RCBS 270-SAA) for heavier stuff. Both hit like freight trains even at the moderate velocities they are launched.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I have taken 7-8 deer size critters, 1 bobcat and 1turkey with my 45 CB X 24". When I get back to my desktop I will post some pics. If I remember!! Plenty of power. Lee 255 and unique. Bobcat at 6 feet, turkey near 100 yards. All else in between. My favorite!!!

Papalote

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
300 or so grains travelling something over 1000fps will not slow down quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer, even elk with a .45 Colt. I'd punch most anything as far as I could hit it. Saying that and meaning out to 100 or so yards. If you can hit your target the cartridge would do it's job. Good luck, Steve.
Steve's spot on here.

It's always put a thumpin' on whatever I hit with it and penetrated from here to Sunday . . .

B

·
Registered
210 Posts
By 45 colt cowboy, do you mean a cowboy style gun, such as a SAA (or replicas), ruger vaquero, or a lever action, in 45 colt, or do you mean with a cowboy action load?

Yes and sort of, to both.

A deer, that wasn't dying quick enough for my taste with a cowboy load and my ruger vaquero, from just out of hoof range. A deer at roughly 7 yards, with the same vaquero, and a black powder handload topped off with a 250gr cast lead flat point (doesn't get much more real cowboy than that).

And a snapping turtle, and a beaver, with a friends rossi 92. I think those were shot with a smokeless handload pushing a 250gr hornady xtp hp.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Bobcat at 6 feet.......I wanna here that story!!

Hayden..
I was sitting in a box blind, deer hunting. Cold and windy so I started to close the north window. Decided against it. A few minutes later I saw the cat coming in the distance. It walked up to the blind. I stood up and put the muzzle out the window. Just point and click sending a 300 grain cast boolit into the cat. I guess the wind worked in my favor. Being a sheep ranch, cats catch boolits as often as possible. 20+# Tom cat. I'll post a few pics later. Maybe a new thread. The 45 cowboy is plenty for my needs. The ruger Bisley also has taken a wt deer.

Papalote

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Cooool! You know here on our Ranch, I catch'em on the game camera every once in a while but I sure cant call them in. Its fun trying though. I had a Lonely Female Coyote Howl going the other night and got mugged by 10 deer. Go figure.

Hayden.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I wanted to deer hunt with my Rossi Trapper in 45 last year but tagged out with the 30-30 Texan first. My hunting handload is worked out with a Lee 300-452 that weighs out at 308gr with a gas check and alox. A hefty charge of Lil Gun under that bullet pushes it at around 1475fps from the 16" barrel. With that meplat and speed, point blank is about 100yds. After that it sinks like a rock in the pond. Since all my opportunities have been under 100yds it should be fine to use but the 30-30 is my preference for some reason.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would think .45LC would be an excellent round for whitetail especially in places with fairly thick cover that afford shots less than 100 yards. Ohio comes to mind now that they will allow pistol caliber hunting rifles. The 1894 in .44 mag is another great choice.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I would think .45LC would be an excellent round for whitetail especially in places with fairly thick cover that afford shots less than 100 yards. Ohio comes to mind now that they will allow pistol caliber hunting rifles. The 1894 in .44 mag is another great choice.
I practice with mine by shooting clays set out on the berm behind the 100 yard range, 120 yards from the bench I can consistently shoot them. I have yet to recover a boolit. Last year I shot a wt doe in the neck at about 40 yards. I heard the boolit ricochet, zinnnngggg, having enough energy to bounce off the tx hill country dirt. It is my favorite rifle to shoot plus is cheap to shoot.

Papalote

·
Registered
12 Posts
When shooting for fun I like using bowling pins as they are very resilient. 9s, 38-357, 40s&w, 45acp knock them around pretty good.
My 1894 cowboy ltd 45 colt is going to hunt mulies this year. A good dose of H110 is putting the Sierra 300 gr jsp out at 1640 fps, and when they hit the bowling pins it's all over. Knocks them back about 20 feet and usually in three or four pieces.
I can't imagine the deer tough enough to stop that slug and within sensible range may try it on elk.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When shooting for fun I like using bowling pins as they are very resilient. 9s, 38-357, 40s&w, 45acp knock them around pretty good.
My 1894 cowboy ltd 45 colt is going to hunt mulies this year. A good dose of H110 is putting the Sierra 300 gr jsp out at 1640 fps, and when they hit the bowling pins it's all over. Knocks them back about 20 feet and usually in three or four pieces.
I can't imagine the deer tough enough to stop that slug and within sensible range may try it on elk.
I'm shooting the same bullet at near 1400 fps, and I figure it'll do the trick. I can't stand the pain with that 300 gr. bullet going any faster. My Rossi trapper is awful light, and it has a steel butt plate. I'm just wussing out in my old age, but if I don't have it in the right spot on my shoulder, it's gonna cause a bruise,.....a really big bruise (you know, that aspirin I take everyday).

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've killed a pretty nice little eastern whitetail buck with a .45 Long Colt Colt's New Frontier shooting a hardcast 260 grain LSWC over 20 grains of 4227at about 30 yards.
Also took a doe with a Colt's Peacemaker in .44-40 with blackpowder handloads, at about 50 yards.
Both shot through with minimal meat damage and went down pretty quick, though the doe was hit a little low, and needed a finisher when I got up to her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.