Marlin Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts
NY had a problem start a couple years ago but according to DEC it was stopped,but they’re not exactly always completely right about what they say,although I’m sure they really have the intention to be as honest as you believe them to be.There’s no mountain lions in NY although there is scat,hair ,footprints and many people who think they saw them but they were wrong.People can’t really tell what they are looking at because they have not been properly trained.

Here in LLano county Tx most deer processors, quit taking hogs. IIRC it was too many had rabies. Navaho is right unless you own land here you will have to pay to hunt!

Thats pretty much how it is. And i would add, the main reason hog hunting became profitable here is people living in states that dont have them wanting to come here and hunt them. I havent heard about the rabies thing. I still eat several a year.

I called the meat processor we use in Texas, south of San Antonio. They treat all wild game the same and have no problem taking wild hogs. He said they reject all wild game if it has not been properly field-dressed with the guts, head and hide removed and if the meat is not fresh and clean. The wild game processor I use in Arizona has the same policy.

E. coli and salmonella are the big concerns for contamination to other meats at the processors, he said that’s the reason they may not be taking it. If one hog in a truckload has fecal matter on it, they won’t take any. He said if it’s been “Texas heart shot” do not bring it to them. He said rabies, brucellosis and trichinosis are real concerns when field dressing the hogs not really the butchers.

I take hundreds of pounds of hog meat to the butcher every year. Once the meat is cooked or cured, it’s fine.

I left a message at the place that buys hogs but they have not called me back yet.

Plant Biome Tree Terrestrial animal Adaptation

this is just one feeder. I have 9 stands/feeders spread out across my ranch. This is an every day thing. These are fairly small but we get the big boars now and then too. This is from last year and i beleive i recall we trapped most of these.

The world is truly upside down.

MSN has a positive hunting story, California’s legislator voted 100% in favor, the radical leftwing-nut governor signed, anti-hunters wrote the bill and pro-hunting groups are complaining that it eased restrictions, makes it less expensive and to easy hunt… only in California.

You really can’t make this stuff up.

When you started this post I thought that you were talking about the left wing liberal WOKE brigade, seriously.

The feral pig problem in Australia is just as bad as your left wing woke brigade, in fact their numbers are increasing here too!

Massive shooting and baiting programmes make little effect on numbers. Australia being so vast and most of the country inaccessible aid in keeping feral pig populations high. They spread many diseases so it is not wise to eat them. During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle. Damage fencing. Urinate and defecate in waterways or trough's, passing disease onto cattle. Rut up paddocks, increasing soil erosion when it does rain.
Down further South it is unknown how many thousands of tonnes of grain and crops are lost to pigs. It doesn't help when farmer's and land owners have been victim to trespassers, poachers and generally "cowboy's" who have done the wrong thing in the past. Now they won't let anyone on the place to help rid them of pigs!

When you started this post I thought that you were talking about the left wing liberal WOKE brigade, seriously.

The feral pig problem in Australia is just as bad as your left wing woke brigade, in fact their numbers are increasing here too!

Massive shooting and baiting programmes make little effect on numbers. Australia being so vast and most of the country inaccessible aid in keeping feral pig populations high. They spread many diseases so it is not wise to eat them. During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle. Damage fencing. Urinate and defecate in waterways or trough's, passing disease onto cattle. Rut up paddocks, increasing soil erosion when it does rain.
Down further South it is unknown how many thousands of tonnes of grain and crops are lost to pigs. It doesn't help when farmer's and land owners have been victim to trespassers, poachers and generally "cowboy's" who have done the wrong thing in the past. Now they won't let anyone on the place to help rid them of pigs!

Massive shooting and baiting programmes make little effect on numbers. Australia being so vast and most of the country inaccessible aid in keeping feral pig populations high. They spread many diseases so it is not wise to eat them. During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle. During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle. Rut up paddocks, increasing soil erosion when it does rain.

They spread many diseases so it is not wise to eat them

All i can tell you is, if this is the case i should be dead... because ive been eating them since 1991...4 or 5 a year.

During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle.

Not if you put it in a trough high enough the pigs cant reach it. which is about waist high.

Damage fencing. Urinate and defecate in waterways or trough's,

show me a hog that can urinate in a 3 foot high water trough....a pond yes. Maybe in Australia its the same thing?
Here they wander around until they find a spot they can go under the fence. Many farmers are drifting away from barbed wire and starting to use 4" square wire netting to keep them out.

Down further South it is unknown how many thousands of tonnes of grain and crops are lost to pigs.

in the US, at least in Texas, the high damage areas are using arial shooting by helicopter to help with this.

It doesn't help when farmer's and land owners have been victim to trespassers, poachers and generally "cowboy's" who have done the wrong thing in the past. Now they won't let anyone on the place to help rid them of pigs!

Im glad you brought that up, because i wasnt going to.....
Here in Texas, in the 2000's around the time the tv show "American Hoggers" was hot, we had a huge upkick in "good ol boys" running hog dogs. Problem is, down here, the land is criss-crossed with fences and a lot of it is smaller ranches. Dogs wont stop at the fenceline, they just keep on the hog. so what do the good ol boys do? they just whip out a pair of fencing pliers and cut the fence... and keep going behind the dogs.... next fence, the same thing. Then one day the landowner is missing a cow or two, or more.
This crap is a big reason people down here dont want anybody on their land down here. Its the same old thing... one group of fools ruined it all.
I personally am responsible for a group like this being hauled to jail. when they got done paying fines and doing their time they sold their dogs and decided to persue other passtimes.
Im not saying everybody that hunts with dogs is like this, i know its not the case. But here in my state, land ownership is a sovergn thing, and respecting it is something were taught from a very young age. Our ancestors fought a war down here for our right to own this land and we wont tolerate any disrespect of that. and were leery of outsiders to this day. Most of us honestly prefer to deal with our problems on our own.

All i can tell you is, if this is the case i should be dead... because ive been eating them since 1991...4 or 5 a year.

During the dry season when cattle have to be fed supplements the pigs eat it all before the cattle.

Not if you put it in a trough high enough the pigs cant reach it. which is about waist high.

show me a hog that can urinate in a 3 foot high water trough....a pond yes. Maybe in Australia its the same thing?
Here they wander around until they find a spot they can go under the fence. Many farmers are drifting away from barbed wire and starting to use 4" square wire netting to keep them out.

Down further South it is unknown how many thousands of tonnes of grain and crops are lost to pigs.

in the US, at least in Texas, the high damage areas are using arial shooting by helicopter to help with this.

It doesn't help when farmer's and land owners have been victim to trespassers, poachers and generally "cowboy's" who have done the wrong thing in the past. Now they won't let anyone on the place to help rid them of pigs!

Here in Texas, in the 2000's around the time the tv show "American Hoggers" was hot, we had a huge upkick in "good ol boys" running hog dogs. Problem is, down here, the land is criss-crossed with fences and a lot of it is smaller ranches. Dogs wont stop at the fenceline, they just keep on the hog. so what do the good ol boys do? they just whip out a pair of fencing pliers and cut the fence... and keep going behind the dogs.... next fence, the same thing. Then one day the landowner is missing a cow or two, or more.
This crap is a big reason people down here dont want anybody on their land down here. Its the same old thing... one group of fools ruined it all.
I personally am responsible for a group like this being hauled to jail. when they got done paying fines and doing their time they sold their dogs and decided to persue other passtimes.
Im not saying everybody that hunts with dogs is like this, i know its not the case. But here in my state, land ownership is a sovergn thing, and respecting it is something were taught from a very young age. Our ancestors fought a war down here for our right to own this land and we wont tolerate any disrespect of that. and were leery of outsiders to this day. Most of us honestly prefer to deal with our problems on our own.
As usual Navajo, well said.

A rifle with night vision and a suppressor seems to be the way to go to rack up numbers outside of trapping them. The ammo bill would put a hurt on you though.
Lot's of Texans on this forum could provide more info, in fact most of the southern states are infested, southern Missouri has plenty but nowhere near the problem they have become further south.
The problem is they reproduce so fast they are spreading their territories like wildfire. They cause millions of dollars in damage every year.
Well, a lot of "ranches" are struggling in Texas.
Mostly because the kids inherited the property but don't want to actually ranch.
Then the developers start developing new gated neighborhoods when they can get someone to sell.
That makes property tax go up and the "ranch" owners start looking for alternate income streams.
That's where hunting lodges come into play.
Borrow some money to put in a ranch house and advertise.
Some of these folks charge north of $500 to hunt pigs then charge a fee on what you shot by pound, THEN they add fees to clean it and pack it. Honest to gawd I have no idea where folks come up with the cash to "go hunting".
When they expanded a highway headed over towards Houston they bumped the speed limit to 80.
Bif bang boom. First couple of weeks saw people running into piggies that ran out from the fields.
It was so bad they put a $20 bounty on them and all you had to do was hand in the tail.
So you'd think all the farmers would be happy to have hunters come in and take care of teh pig problem they've been crying about for years - right? Well, they were but they wanted to charge hunters $200 to hunt their land.
I'll guarantee the piggie problem could be reduced but the greed of the landowners is the stumbling point.
Most people are unaware that 98% of Texas is private land.
There was some real abuse of land claims back in the old west.

Reactions: utvolsfan77

Mate here in Australia the pigs will eat anything and during drought times/Summer they'll eat rotting carcasses of anything hence why the vast majority of pigs are shot and left because you don't know what disease they could be carrying that and the smell is horrendous.
There is now the big threat of swine fever coming in from Asia and if this gets into the commercial pig industry it'll destroy it in very short time plus any other disease the pigs can carry so attempting to eat any feral pig is not a smart thing.

I've shot heaps of pigs and there's times when you can smell them before you see them especially the boars.
Australia is one of the driest continent on Earth although at this time you wouldn't think so as most of the country is just wet thanks to unseasonal heavy rains but having said that about 12 months ago we came out of 1 of the worst droughts for a long time that went for probably 2 years or more so the pigs will be now breeding like flys along with Kangaroos, rabbits, goats and just about everything else.

What he's referring to in regards to pigs doing their business in the water is that the vast majority of farms and stations here have dams where the cattle and sheep come in to water and pigs because they can't sweat will wallow in the dams during the Summer months and also do their business in the water as well.

As for trespassing here in Australia it can be a huge problem along with stock theft as some farms can be up to 500,000+ acres and the stations can be up to a couple of thousand square miles in our North so any trespassers that cut fences and hunt illegally or steal stock may not be discovered for a fair while.
Those pig doggers who cut fences etc generally get caught after a while and the fines can include losing the vehicle, guns if they have any and the dogs plus a trip to court.

It's getting harder and harder to get access to farms to hunt these days thanks to the idiots who do the wrong things and to get access now is it's not what you know but who you know and word of mouth.

In regards to fences even when the farmers put up a electric fence wire it's been proven that a pig will still go under/over a electric wire and squeal just as they hit it and still keep going but there's now a lot of farms starting to put up exclusion fencing on the boundaries that will stop everything from getting into the crops and then the farmers will go around and shoot all feral animals inside the fence.

Great meat for sausages and for smoking as long as it does not have any "Bovine Turberculosis" or any other disease that can pass to humans.

Reactions: utvolsfan77
Well, a lot of "ranches" are struggling in Texas.
Mostly because the kids inherited the property but don't want to actually ranch.
Then the developers start developing new gated neighborhoods when they can get someone to sell.
That makes property tax go up and the "ranch" owners start looking for alternate income streams.
That's where hunting lodges come into play.
Borrow some money to put in a ranch house and advertise.
Some of these folks charge north of $500 to hunt pigs then charge a fee on what you shot by pound, THEN they add fees to clean it and pack it. Honest to gawd I have no idea where folks come up with the cash to "go hunting".
When they expanded a highway headed over towards Houston they bumped the speed limit to 80.
Bif bang boom. First couple of weeks saw people running into piggies that ran out from the fields.
It was so bad they put a $20 bounty on them and all you had to do was hand in the tail.
So you'd think all the farmers would be happy to have hunters come in and take care of teh pig problem they've been crying about for years - right? Well, they were but they wanted to charge hunters $200 to hunt their land.
I'll guarantee the piggie problem could be reduced but the greed of the landowners is the stumbling point.
Most people are unaware that 98% of Texas is private land.

Nowhere near like what went on in the Oklahoma land rush... and them people didnt fight a war with Mexico on their own for their land rights.

Mate here in Australia the pigs will eat anything and during drought times/Summer they'll eat rotting carcasses of anything hence why the vast majority of pigs are shot and left because you don't know what disease they could be carrying that and the smell is horrendous.
There is now the big threat of swine fever coming in from Asia and if this gets into the commercial pig industry it'll destroy it in very short time plus any other disease the pigs can carry so attempting to eat any feral pig is not a smart thing.

I've shot heaps of pigs and there's times when you can smell them before you see them especially the boars.
Australia is one of the driest continent on Earth although at this time you wouldn't think so as most of the country is just wet thanks to unseasonal heavy rains but having said that about 12 months ago we came out of 1 of the worst droughts for a long time that went for probably 2 years or more so the pigs will be now breeding like flys along with Kangaroos, rabbits, goats and just about everything else.

What he's referring to in regards to pigs doing their business in the water is that the vast majority of farms and stations here have dams where the cattle and sheep come in to water and pigs because they can't sweat will wallow in the dams during the Summer months and also do their business in the water as well.

As for trespassing here in Australia it can be a huge problem along with stock theft as some farms can be up to 500,000+ acres and the stations can be up to a couple of thousand square miles in our North so any trespassers that cut fences and hunt illegally or steal stock may not be discovered for a fair while.
Those pig doggers who cut fences etc generally get caught after a while and the fines can include losing the vehicle, guns if they have any and the dogs plus a trip to court.

It's getting harder and harder to get access to farms to hunt these days thanks to the idiots who do the wrong things and to get access now is it's not what you know but who you know and word of mouth.

In regards to fences even when the farmers put up a electric fence wire it's been proven that a pig will still go under/over a electric wire and squeal just as they hit it and still keep going but there's now a lot of farms starting to put up exclusion fencing on the boundaries that will stop everything from getting into the crops and then the farmers will go around and shoot all feral animals inside the fence.
The American south west and Australia have far more similarities than differences. Including climate, ranches/stations/farming and the issues facing them.

Feral hogs are feral hogs. Down-under they might have funny accents, but they are the same. All pigs wallow in mud to stay cool. All ranches have cattle ponds and water holes. We call dammed up water for livestock “tanks”. Pigs are a little smarter than most livestock. They’d rather not defecate where they eat, drink and sleep. Cattle, horses, birds and sheep are pretty stupid. They will defecate while standing in the water they’re drinking. Fish do it, too. I’m not saying pigs don’t pollute the water. Most pig feces gets into water from rain runoff. 110° heat will grow all kinds of nastiness in water. With or without feral hogs.

Maybe our hogs take showers more than they do in Australia, but I’ve hunted hogs by smell alone. Nearly all hogs I personally shoot get carted off to the butcher. Heck the Germans prefer the biggest nastiest boars for their sausage. Every mud covered, urine soaked, flea infested, tick riddled, carrion eating hog I am going to eat gets thoroughly scrubbed down with soap and water before I stick a knife in it and I wear gloves.

I bring home 400 to 1200 pounds of hog meat home every year that I share with friends and family. Nobody has gotten sick. My butcher is extremely intelligent and very well educated. He holds a couple of masters degrees. His shop always gets top marks from health inspectors. He says there is virtually no risk of cross-contaminating other meat if all equipment cleaned between butchering a different species and don’t “box” meat of the same species. Just like he’s required to by law.

Trichinosis, tuberculosis and brucellosis, just like all the food we eat, if it’s handled and prepared properly before consumption it is safe to eat.

The American south west and Australia have far more similarities than differences. Including climate, ranches/stations/farming and the issues facing them.

Feral hogs are feral hogs. Down-under they might have funny accents, but they are the same. All pigs wallow in mud to stay cool. All ranches have cattle ponds and water holes. We call dammed up water for livestock “tanks”. Pigs are a little smarter than most livestock. They’d rather not defecate where they eat, drink and sleep. Cattle, horses, birds and sheep are pretty stupid. They will defecate while standing in the water they’re drinking. Fish do it, too. I’m not saying pigs don’t pollute the water. Most pig feces gets into water from rain runoff. 110° heat will grow all kinds of nastiness in water. With or without feral hogs.

Maybe our hogs take showers more than they do in Australia, but I’ve hunted hogs by smell alone. Nearly all hogs I personally shoot get carted off to the butcher. Heck the Germans prefer the biggest nastiest boars for their sausage. Every mud covered, urine soaked, flea infested, tick riddled, carrion eating hog I am going to eat gets thoroughly scrubbed down with soap and water before I stick a knife in it and I wear gloves.

I bring home 400 to 1200 pounds of hog meat home every year that I share with friends and family. Nobody has gotten sick. My butcher is extremely intelligent and very well educated. He holds a couple of masters degrees. His shop always gets top marks from health inspectors. He says there is virtually no risk of cross-contaminating other meat if all equipment cleaned before butchering a different species and don’t “box” meat of the same species. Just like he’s required to by law.

Trichinosis, tuberculosis and brucellosis, just like all the food we eat, if it’s handled and prepared properly before consumption it is safe to eat.

Butchers here in Australia can't sell any meat or cut up any meat unless it's got a food authority stamp on it otherwise there's big fines and possible closure of the shop.

On the bigger farms and stations the dams are called tanks as well and on some of the larger stations a tank run may be up to 200 klms long just checking pumps, windmills, pipes etc.

The stench from the boars is more noticeable during Summer or droughts and yes pigs are a lot smarter than most other animals and we face the same diseases as well but now the threat from Asia of Swine Fever and also foot and mouth disease is a real big worry.

Butchers here in Australia can't sell any meat or cut up any meat unless it's got a food authority stamp on it otherwise there's big fines and possible closure of the shop.

On the bigger farms and stations the dams are called tanks as well and on some of the larger stations a tank run may be up to 200 klms long just checking pumps, windmills, pipes etc.

The stench from the boars is more noticeable during Summer or droughts and yes pigs are a lot smarter than most other animals and we face the same diseases as well but now the threat from Asia of Swine Fever and also foot and mouth disease is a real big worry.
I know Australia has had major issues with feral and nonnative species. I don’t know if it’s the unique environment, few natural predators or the combination that can cause population explosion of biblical proportions.

I was reading the other day about the threats posed by swine fever coming from Asia. It is a major concern for farmers. To make things worse, several of our most corrupt politicians have declared war on pig farmers and cattle ranchers. Plant-based alternatives to bacon is one of the product these corrupt politicians and billionaire cronies have heavily invested in. If swine fever does show up in America or Australia, I would suspect the same people that brought us the Fauci flu.

I know Australia has had major issues with feral and nonnative species. I don’t know if it’s the unique environment, few natural predators or the combination that can cause population explosion of biblical proportions.

I was reading the other day about the threats posed by swine fever coming from Asia. It is a major concern for farmers. To make things worse, several of our most corrupt politicians have declared war on pig farmers and cattle ranchers. Plant-based alternatives to bacon is one of the product these corrupt politicians and billionaire cronies have heavily invested in. If swine fever does show up in America or Australia, I would suspect the same people that brought us the Fauci flu.
It seems that the Australian conditions suited a lot of the feral species that were introduced. Rabbits and foxes were bought across from England for the landed gentry to hunt and they exploded in numbers. Camels were bought in with the Afghan handlers to help open up the vast desolate areas of Australia with the explorers.
Goats, pigs and buffalo were bought in to feed and help those in our far North with farming and food. The cattle were also bought in for farming and food and when a remote community failed to survive these animals were turned out to fend for themselves same as dogs and cats,
In our fresh water Trout both Rainbow and Brown along with Redfin(English Perch) and the pest of the waterways European Carp were also introduced and competed with our Murray Cod, Yellowbelly(Golden Perch) and Catfish.
So as you can see we have I suppose a bit to both thank and hate the English for BUT we fishermen and hunters have no shortage of game to hunt and fish to catch.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.