Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
TNhunter, we had gone for years with a guy outside of Savannah but he sold out had other issues and disappeared. We then tried a place near Wrightsville. We had a good time the first time and the last time we were VERY disappointed...so we are trying a new to us place in Toomsboro Ga. We will see how this works out.
I may likely be using the same guy you tried near Wrightsville. The owner has become a good friend over the years. We time our hog hunts to be 2 weeks or so after deer season closes, figuring most areas are no longer being hunted hard and all the neighboring properties have ceased feeding the deer and hogs.

Navajo, I respectfully think you missed my point. I obviously am willing to pay for a pig hunt, however my point is I question if the problem is as bad as advertised. If the alternator on your truck goes out and your friend offers to help you change it ,and he is willing to give you the parts, do you tell him no he can't help you unless he pays you your mechanics going hourly rate??? Around here if you have a real problem and someone offers to help... we say Thanks friend. Miht even offer some food and a barley pop as a thank you. If it's a business no problem, it's a business but the whole om my it's a problem, it's a problem no you have to pay $500-600 per person per day. We may continue to disagree and that's ok,, as long as we respect the other persons opinion.

Navajo, I respectfully think you missed my point. I obviously am willing to pay for a pig hunt, however my point is I question if the problem is as bad as advertised. If the alternator on your truck goes out and your friend offers to help you change it ,and he is willing to give you the parts, do you tell him no he can't help you unless he pays you your mechanics going hourly rate??? Around here if you have a real problem and someone offers to help... we say Thanks friend. Miht even offer some food and a barley pop as a thank you. If it's a business no problem, it's a business but the whole om my it's a problem, it's a problem no you have to pay $500-600 per person per day. We may continue to disagree and that's ok,, as long as we respect the other persons opinion.
how bad the problem is depends on who you ask here. As far as those hunting ranches you were dealing with, to them it’s definitely a business. You pay the going rate or choose not to that’s how it is.

as far as asking for help, first off, that’s just not our way. Another problem is most of the land here is privately owned. People for the most part are not just going to allow hunters on their place to shoot hogs. Most of it has been in the family for generations. Hunting them has gotten to be a year round pastime the past few years I’ve noticed. People used to rage over the destruction they cause now they share pics of the ones they shot over the weekend. Honestly it’s like we’ve just learned to live with them. They’re never going away so we might as well. People talk about eradication but they know that’s all a bunch of hooey.

Navajo, I think we are actually reading the same chapter if not necissarily the exact same page. I think pigs are a destructive problem and I agree with not letting JUST ANYBODY on a family owned ranch (I grew up in Montana) and get it. But in this case the outfitters were exploiting the" it's a problem, it's a problem" angle not the" it's a business, it's a business." I don't begrudge anybody using THEIR land to offset the taxes, cost, payments ect, my balderdash meter was just smelling something that wasn't a rose (yellow of course). The places we have gone in Georgia clearly state "it's a business". I appreciate a reasonable discussion of this topic with you sir.

Navajo, I think we are actually reading the same chapter if not necissarily the exact same page. I think pigs are a destructive problem and I agree with not letting JUST ANYBODY on a family owned ranch (I grew up in Montana) and get it. But in this case the outfitters were exploiting the" it's a problem, it's a problem" angle not the" it's a business, it's a business." I don't begrudge anybody using THEIR land to offset the taxes, cost, payments ect, my balderdash meter was just smelling something that wasn't a rose (yellow of course). The places we have gone in Georgia clearly state "it's a business". I appreciate a reasonable discussion of this topic with you sir.

yes i think were' on the same page. it all comes down to the almighty dollar pretty much. i own a ranch here and have loads of hogs on it. 9 stands and feeders on it. 85 acres i own and 250 i lease next to it. i could offer it up for day leasing if i wanted to, but i just hunt it myself and once in awile i let a friend hunt. I get management tags and its registered wit parks and wildlife as MLD land. ive managed this place for now 17 years and the deer get better every year. But the hogs are a constant thing. Trapping is the most effective tool ive found.
The deer will tolerate females and pigs but a large boar is the worst. when i get one of those i have to just hunt him until i get a chance to take him out. i generally use sow in heat scent and i eventually works.
i have so many here i have literally shot them out my window.
one of the things that keeps me from day leasing is the liabilities involved. thats a whole other deal. i may someday need the money bad enough but for now ill leave things like i have it. i will say one thing.... its a lot to take care of and i can understand why the price is high from where i stand. corn is higher than its ever been. so is fertilizer and seed for planting food plots....diesel and so on.
i hope my earlier post didnt offend you. you seem life a genuinely nice guy.

A rifle with night vision and a suppressor seems to be the way to go to rack up numbers outside of trapping them. The ammo bill would put a hurt on you though.
Lot's of Texans on this forum could provide more info, in fact most of the southern states are infested, southern Missouri has plenty but nowhere near the problem they have become further south.
The problem is they reproduce so fast they are spreading their territories like wildfire. They cause millions of dollars in damage every year.
Believe it or not, a wild boar slashed the belly of a fine horse on a farm in a neighboring county near me some time back. The Sheriff's dept investigated it thinking a PERSON had done it but come to find out it was one of the boars that had been feeding with the horses!

yes, i think were on the same page. it all comes down to the almighty dollar pretty much. I own a ranch here and have loads of hogs on it. 9 stands and feeders on it. 85 acres i own and 250 I lease next to it. I could offer it up for day leasing if I wanted to, but I just hunt it myself and once in a while I let a friend hunt. I get management tags and its registered with parks and wildlife as MLD land. I've managed this place for now 17 years and the deer get better every year. But the hogs are a constant thing. Trapping is the most effective tool I've found.
The deer will tolerate females and pigs but a large boar is the worst. when I get one of those I have to just hunt him until I get a chance to take him out. I generally use sow in heat scent and it eventually works.
I have so many here I have literally shot them out my window.
one of the things that keep me from day leasing is the liabilities involved. That's a whole other deal. I may someday need the money bad enough but for now, I'll leave things as I have them. I will say one thing.... it's a lot to take care of and I can understand why the price is high from where I stand. Corn is higher than its ever been. So is fertilizer and seed for planting food plots....diesel and so on.
I hope my earlier post didn't offend you. You seem like a genuinely nice guy.
This may be an ignorant question but what does "MLD" stand for?

A mature male hog is by far more intelligent than any other animal on North America than any deer, elk, moose, or your dog or cat.

They learn very quickly and change habits thusly. Killing a 25-50-125 pound hog is great, but not really difficult. Taking down a 200-225-300 or 400 boar is much more different.
I hunted on a ranch in SE Texas and we sat in little towers where the ranch told us to sit and wait. Along with Hogs, they had exotic animal of a variety of types, one of them being Red Elk, as I recall. We were told NOT to shoot the Red Elk unless we were prepared to pay the several thousand dollars for the animal. It grew dark, and the hogs started to filter into the feeding area. Tell ME they aren't smart! The big boars came in with the others, and the boars very methodically placed themselves on the far side of the bigger exotics like the Red Elk, keeping the exotics between them and the towers while they ate. Talk about a boring hunt. You could shoot hogs right there, and they would drop, and the others barely left the area. Some never bothered moving at all. They were used to it. Some would always drop at feeding time; that was just normal life for them. The Red Elk barely lifted their heads when the rifles barked. The boars knew the Elk were never shot.

Two things here. 1) I don't think Texas has as BIG a problem as they say BECAUSE...I have a group of 13 hunters who have been to Georgia multiple times hunting pigs. We were together at the Harrisburg Pa sportsman show and we offered to :fill the camp" as many hunters as they wanted/could handle BUUUT because we were going to take all available space for however many days they would allow, we wanted a substantial discount from the &500-600 a day per person. Nope Nope Nope. We asked many outfitters and all had the same answer. Seems a little odd that you have a HUGE problem but when a group of experienced outdoorsmen offer to help you out with this problem, for a reduced fee, that you can't agree to it. How big a problem do you really have, then? When people come over to help me clean my garage I don't usually charge them much.
By the same token, I will be down in Georgia again the first week of January with a suppressed 1895 and a AR(same suppressor) in 458 Socom. Gotta be daytime hunting though as it is a deer/pi combo hunt.
I think you’re right on this one. There are a lot of places where “nuisance” hogs are cultivated with bait and food to support a lucrative hunting guide business. They are certainly pests, but many people have been “managing” them for profit.

yes i think were' on the same page. it all comes down to the almighty dollar pretty much. i own a ranch here and have loads of hogs on it. 9 stands and feeders on it. 85 acres i own and 250 i lease next to it. i could offer it up for day leasing if i wanted to, but i just hunt it myself and once in awile i let a friend hunt. I get management tags and its registered wit parks and wildlife as MLD land. ive managed this place for now 17 years and the deer get better every year. But the hogs are a constant thing. Trapping is the most effective tool ive found.
The deer will tolerate females and pigs but a large boar is the worst. when i get one of those i have to just hunt him until i get a chance to take him out. i generally use sow in heat scent and i eventually works.
i have so many here i have literally shot them out my window.
one of the things that keeps me from day leasing is the liabilities involved. thats a whole other deal. i may someday need the money bad enough but for now ill leave things like i have it. i will say one thing.... its a lot to take care of and i can understand why the price is high from where i stand. corn is higher than its ever been. so is fertilizer and seed for planting food plots....diesel and so on.
i hope my earlier post didnt offend you. you seem life a genuinely nice guy.
Hey Nav, Long time no see Buddy, Since our SC trip in '15! You need to get your FFL to sell you an auto conversion kit for them hogs. a Liability waiver/consent form will resolve most of the liability issues, but, then again, anybody with a mercenary lawyer can file a lawsuit. I'm down on the Devils River full time these days. Hope everything else is good with you.
Skip

Reactions: utvolsfan77
Hey Nav, Long time no see Buddy, Since our SC trip in '15! You need to get your FFL to sell you an auto conversion kit for them hogs. a Liability waiver/consent form will resolve most of the liability issues, but, then again, anybody with a mercenary lawyer can file a lawsuit. I'm down on the Devils River full time these days. Hope everything else is good with you.
Skip

Good to hear from you Skip. Not much has changed, im just older and fatter.

The cultivation often happens unintentionally. In Texas, its legal to feed corn, and everybody does it. And not everybody puts hog wire around their feeder.

Exactly. Shooting not hunting.
On many ranches it is. On a couple ranches several exotics would hangout around feeders with people around. On one ranch, I had fed the American bison by hand a few times. You could give them a good scratch behind the ears like cattle. After that they’d follow me around like pet dogs. They had a sable that would beat the world record by at least a couple of inches. We could drive within 3 feet of it.

However, It is not always the case. On one ranch we have hunted hogs very heavily for 11 years, the whitetail and exotics are very skittish. One night I spied a bull eland with a night-vision scope. I’d never seen any on that ranch so the next day I asked the owner and ranch manager when they got the new addition. They both swore the last eland was shot 6 years before.

One year at another ranch, we were given the opportunity to take kudu for $400 each, the 4 trophy animals were $1200 each. We were pretty determined to get a couple. In the two weeks we were there hunting and trapping hogs, we never saw any kudu day or night.

Cultivated, yes. Not always just shooting.

Here in LLano county Tx most deer processors, quit taking hogs. IIRC it was too many had rabies. Navaho is right unless you own land here you will have to pay to hunt!

One guy I worked with shot 5 times & killed 35 hog's at a feeder, he was shooting a 10 ga mag with 00 buck!!!

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.