Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hunting the Most Destructive Pest in America

6K views 94 replies 39 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
The American south west and Australia have far more similarities than differences. Including climate, ranches/stations/farming and the issues facing them.

Feral hogs are feral hogs. Down-under they might have funny accents, but they are the same. All pigs wallow in mud to stay cool. All ranches have cattle ponds and water holes. We call dammed up water for livestock “tanks”. Pigs are a little smarter than most livestock. They’d rather not defecate where they eat, drink and sleep. Cattle, horses, birds and sheep are pretty stupid. They will defecate while standing in the water they’re drinking. Fish do it, too. I’m not saying pigs don’t pollute the water. Most pig feces gets into water from rain runoff. 110° heat will grow all kinds of nastiness in water. With or without feral hogs.

Maybe our hogs take showers more than they do in Australia, but I’ve hunted hogs by smell alone. Nearly all hogs I personally shoot get carted off to the butcher. Heck the Germans prefer the biggest nastiest boars for their sausage. Every mud covered, urine soaked, flea infested, tick riddled, carrion eating hog I am going to eat gets thoroughly scrubbed down with soap and water before I stick a knife in it and I wear gloves.

I bring home 400 to 1200 pounds of hog meat home every year that I share with friends and family. Nobody has gotten sick. My butcher is extremely intelligent and very well educated. He holds a couple of masters degrees. His shop always gets top marks from health inspectors. He says there is virtually no risk of cross-contaminating other meat if all equipment cleaned between butchering a different species and don’t “box” meat of the same species. Just like he’s required to by law.

Trichinosis, tuberculosis and brucellosis, just like all the food we eat, if it’s handled and prepared properly before consumption it is safe to eat.
Nope. You're incorrect.
Aussie pigs don't have funny accents, they speak fine proper English.
It's the American ones that no one can understand. :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.