Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 8th, 2006
My husband said he is not going to let me go into a gun shop again.

Back in October, I had been to Scheels in Sioux Falls, and they had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy (special edition) in .357/38 special. Now, I’ve been dreaming of owning an 1894 Cowboy since I first saw it in a Marlin flier a long time ago. I’ve seen the model at a few places, but had never seen one in .357.

To be honest, this one was a big disappointment. It just didn’t feel right, and I was not impressed with the “special edition” tooling and additional price. I’d wanted this gun for so long, and when I finally held one in my hands, I didn’t like it.

So we passed, and in November, we found a Marlin 1894 carbine (used) at Cabala’s. This was not the Cowboy, just the regular carbine. It sure felt good to shoulder, and it was about $450 cheaper than the previous one, so I bought it. (Now, this was a week after I bought my Marlin 12 gauge pump shotgun). My hubby and I had an argument about which one of us would actually be buying this firearm (who would fill out the paperwork). This stems from a friendly "you got the last one, it's my turn now" debate. The last one had been in my name, and since my hubby also really wanted to get this one, I wanted him to buy it, but he really wanted me to buy it because I had given him grief about having more guns than I did. End result, I bought the gun, so it was MINE. I loved shooting that carbine, it was the first firearm that I had that I could honestly say I had fun shooting.

My husband fell in love with it too. It’s just so sweet to shoulder and it’s so fun to watch the spinny targets go round and round when you tag them. Not like the two or three revolutions they make when hit by a .22.

Not long after I bought the rifle, my husband showed me a Beretta Stampede .357 revolver. He was interested in getting it for himself, but I fell in love with it. A few weeks later Cabala’s was having a customer appreciation deal – get $100 off purchase over $500, so I talked my husband into letting me buy the Revolver. That was my Christmas present, and I’ve already put a couple hundred rounds through it. Though I’ve had help from my son and husband. We would take the revolver and the 1894 rifle out and take turns shooting them. Hubby reloads, so as fast as I can empty the shells, he can fill them back up for me.

Hubby has been tweaking loads, and found a recipe he really likes for the .357 carbine. He started telling me that if I ever didn’t want that gun, he’d take it. He shot a rabbit with it, and was taking it out on walks, and everything.

I really liked it too, but in the back of my mind I still dreamed of that 1894 Cowboy with the octagon barrel and walnut stock . . . With my husband mentioned again how much he would love to have the carbine for himself, I mentioned that I would like to continue looking for the Cowboy. Maybe one that was not a “special edition” would be more to my liking. My hubby agreed, but he’s not real good at pulling in the reins when it comes to my gun enthusiasm.

We are doing some work on our house, and in January we drove to Sioux Falls to look at floor tile at Home Depot, and son came with to pick up some powder at Scheels. Son drove, and I rode in the back. When we got to Scheels, I could not get the door to unlock, and made a joke about my hubby wanting to keep me locked in the car, as three of the last four times I’d been in a Gun shop, I bought a firearm.

As we walked up to the door I said “I don’t know what your problem is, I haven’t bought a gun yet this year! (keep in mind, this was January 7th) And we’ve never bought one for Scheels either”. I suppose I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

It’s really not my fault that the guns are all sitting out there plain as day! Ok, I’ll admit – I made a beeline to where I had seen the Special Edition before. I guess I just wanted to hold it again, and see if I still didn’t like the way it felt. It was gone – that was ok, but I scanned the rack for anything else with an octagon barrel. There was a 45lc on the upper rack, and then I looked at the lower rack – and there is was. . .

1894 Cowboy Limited in .357/38 special – DARN!!! I picked it up and it balanced just like the carbine we had. It shouldered nice, it looked nice . . . a person only has so much will power you know . . .

I held it close and walked up to where my hubby was standing with my son, looking at other firearms. “Hon,” I said quietly “Look what I found”. He looked at the octagon barrel and new instantly what it was.
He said “That’s it, isn’t it?” And I nodded my head, but said sadly “We really don’t have the money right now though” And hubby, ever so helpful in bolstering my will power, says “We can put it on layaway”. Then the salesman who happened to be hovering near by chimed right it “You’ll have 10 months to pay for it, and if you change your mind in 30 days, you can get anything you put down back.”

Now, how is a girl to resist with support like that?

So, it might be a while before I have money to buy carpet for the new living room, but I sure like my new rifle. No, I didn’t put it on layaway; it came home with us that night.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Does my heart good to know I'm not the only one with no willpower.........

Shum8

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Loved the post, understand the feeling, won't tell, at least in writing, what I have done.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It's nice to see another female, in addition to my wife, who knows of what she speaks when she talks "guns". And welcome aboard the board.

The carpet can wait. You have to set priorities. Besides, you'd just walk on it anyway. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Enjoyable post macymarlin. I wish all you gals that enjoy shooting would get more gals into shooting. Getting more women into shooting is the saving grace of the sport.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Gotta luv a woman that knows what she wants and don't go shopping at forty-eleven different stores to see if grain pattern is nicer or shinnier or if it matches her huntin' clothes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happily Married 39 yrs in June...she shops, I sleep in the car and carry packages :lol: :lol: :lol: works for me

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
A former (and really nice lady) girlfriend enjoyed shooting with me, but always lamented that the wood and different colored thingies didn't match on all the cute guns... :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts