Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have been away for a while. Work work work and hopefully it is slowing down. Lots of traveling looking after two sites, Melbourne, Brisbane.

I have prioritised and here I am. I need my Marlin fix again.

Was out west in Jan on a property and went spot lighting and blow me down in the whole hour we were gone...not one set of eyes even looked at us. No pigs, nothing.

On the quads we came across a dam paddock about an acre and a half. We counted over fifty dead roo's in the paddock. They had died of no water. Dam was dry. There were 17 under the D8 dozer dead. Five roo's were still alive but did not have the energy to jump the fence. They just stood there and looked at us. as we approached they did not move, they did not have the energy. We humanly dispatched them. It was mind blowing to see that.

Hope to get more happening. Just booked a hunt at Ballandean Station for my annual Fallow Doe Hunt late July.

Thing are looking up.

Cheers,

Hunter

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome back. I enjoy the threads from Aussieland. You boys down under sure have a different variety of animals to hunt. Is it always that dry or is it the time of year? Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The state of Qld has 80% of the land area in a state of declared drought. The north has had two cyclones come through dumping rain while the south has had intermittent rain. It is a land of contrasts. The animals are like no other. Most run, but here some hop. Camels now hunting deer with 5 camel in sight is unreal. These are used by farmers to stop dingoes and other wild dogs. But these lookout towers on four legs show the deer where we are and they will stare at you for a long time. In some parts of Australia the camels are pests.

Australia is a top place.

Reactions: vrkar10

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Welcome back Hunter. Didn't happen to notice a Boeing 777 parked out there somewhere, did ya?

Reactions: curan and Macoz

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Trust me Hunter,no rain in them cyclones. We were predicted to have 400mm(16in)from cyclone Hadi,we got 2mm. Just days of bloody wind. Driest I have seen it in march for a long time.

·
Premium Member
15,421 Posts
welcome back

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No 777 out this way.

Down here Macos I have a friend with cattle and the bull jumps over the fence to get to the feed on the side of the road. Amazing how something close to 800kg can jump a fence. I got 20mm of rain and he got three spits of rain on an area of the Sydney Morning Herald in 20 minutes.

The world is going to pot.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Gday Dave, where ya bin man, holidays, jail or just bustin ya butt. We came back from down south last weekend and from Coonabarabran too Warwick they have had good rain in the previous week, hope it got out your way. Been pretty quiet on the hunting front here for the last 4 or 5 months, have ya nailed anything with the 444 lately.

My dog hunting mad mate has shot 7 dogs last month out near Wivenhoe Dam, hasn't seen a Stag worth taking so far.

Good luck with your deer hunt in july.

GUS

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Gus, Been busting my gut. I am looking after two servo's One in St George and the other in Roma. Up down up down and I was getting a bit worn out. I have had on trip out west. Took the 222 and the 444. The 444 excelled once again. Animal left to right at about 80m. I knew he was there and he broke cover at full pace. The 444 had a mind of its own. It just seemed to lift up, reasonable lead and it went bang. nose skid marks no kidding were 3m long. It was a through and through as I was using solids. That close at full speed ahead , L to R, magic.

Just heard that they opened the boxes for deer down Glen Innes way a few weeks ago and in one week they got 2400+ deer in the box. They are there.....some where.

Seen three large dog prints around on of the dams. I have the trail cam out with new batteries, 16gb card so hopefully may get a pic or two.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Great to 'hear your voice' back on MO, Dave. Still happy to do a 444 Hunt with Gus sometime when the dust settles?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Dave, don't shoot all the game, I'm hoping to come up that way in September.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Hey Dave good to hear you are still having fun with the 444, Wags still seems hot for a trebble with the tripple fours :biggrin:, sounds like we might have to make room for Mark (OZ) with the 375 as well, after all he is an EX QLDER. We could have a QLD, NSW, K1W1 cup hunt, kinda like a state of origin but bigger.:biggrin:

No wonder you have been a bit quiet latley, bet ya know the road between Roma and St George well by now, you are probably getting more roos with the bull bar than you will ever shoot. Any how have fun keep in touch. Let us know how the trail cam goes.

GUS

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the pigs get a bit bigger and more of them we will see what can happen. No use having a hunt when the animals are just starting to recover from the drought. Although dams are full now the boffins reckon we have some time to go before we come out of it. My dream is an Annual (limited size) MO hunt of some kind. One can only have so many people when you have bits of metal screaming at thousands of fps and can reach a vast distance. Safety is everything.

The property has goats which Uncle nick took his largest to date (at the time) some were over 36". Pigs have tusks the size of power poles.....OK big ones. It also has some endangered Wallaby species. Dingo's are on the move with three new set of prints been seen in the last two weeks. Wedgies abound.

Oh to be in the west.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
We could have a QLD, NSW, K1W1 cup hunt, kinda like a state of origin but bigger.:biggrin:

GUS
So. I am a QLDer living in NSW, Dave is a Kiwi living in Qld, Oz a QLDer living in Tassie, and you Gus? Are you a cockroach in Canetoad country?

Reactions: Oz
1 - 20 of 23 Posts