Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about gps units but recently purchased an Garmin Etrex 20 and Hunt onX map for my state of West Virginia. I've been hunting some private land for a couple years and never have been sure of the property lines. There are other house surrounding it and some of the locals are used to hunting it without permission. So I got this set-up to figure it out this year. The Hunt onX maps show private property lines and even lists the names of the land owners. I haven't had much time to mess with it, since I had to go back out on the river for 28 days right after I got the gps and map. The map itself works like a charm. I'm pretty disappointed in the unit, though. It seems awfully primitive for something that costs $200. Only certain units are compatible with the map software and this was one of the less -expensive units. Like I said, though... need to spend some time with it and figure it out. So far, it works well for telling me where I am in relation to the property boundaries.

Any of you have experience with this gps or the map software? I plan on using it to post the property next year, but I'd like to get the most out of it.

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
How did the software work out for you? I want to upgrade my old Madgellen GPS. It works great but I want something map capable and also lake maps.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worked out pretty well. Did exactly what I needed it to. Like I said earlier, I'm pretty disappointed in the gps unit itself. Very hard to read and looks like technology from the 80's lol! I hope the more expensive units have better graphics and I hope the map software looks better on a nicer device. Wish I could tell you more, but I won't be upgrading it any time soon. It works for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.