Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it has Rifling..The only known original that mine is copied from had Rifling too..The original was found in a Barn in Kansas..Only one known to have survived..My barrel section is from a 40mm Bofors from WWII..They are the perfect donor section..As the original was a 1.5 inch bore..40MM is really close to that..

Glad you liked the videos..They are not great..But I am no cinematographer..Lucky I can even spell it,LOL Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks

Here is a photo of the original it is built off of..Some fellas in Wisconsin built a copy too..They actually went and photographed the original and got measurements and such..They were very helpful with drawings, photos and such to aid me along..

This is not a well documented Gun at all..I have some newspaper accounts, and a original copy of Hughes Confederate Patent and some patent drawings too..The South made as few as maybe 9 of these is all..

I have one newspaper account where they claimed they fired this little Gun up the Tennessee River..I suppose they had spotters to see the projectile land, they claim it went three miles..Heck of a trajectory I suppose..I am somewhat skeptical it could do this..But that is what they claimed..

He was ahead of his time when he Patented this..Not only was his Breech Loading design pretty innovative...He had the idea of it being water cooled too..The jacket over the barrel is hollow and you could fill that space with water through a hole in the top..

I will include a rear sight I machined too..It just sits in a pin hole on top the rear of the Breech..And a photo of its 1/3 scale little Brother I built..It is .50 caliber and Rifled..

I actually won a award for both of these builds..Not really a joke..But it is called the cupey doll award..Very coveted award if you know what it is,LOL
Wheel Plant Cannon Tree Wood
Wood Gun accessory Metal Fashion accessory Cylinder

Wheel Cannon Motor vehicle Road surface Vehicle

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I have an old Meteor can. When the Dupont plant blew up this was one they imported.

Reactions: bgasper1964

·
Registered
245 Posts
Neat videos! Question on the loading sequence' what is the powder charge in? I looks like a soda can but how would the flash from the cap set it off? Then it looks like the hammer flies forward under hand power alone, so there is not a spring driving it forward?

Thanks for posting!

~Kees~

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The charge is wrapped in simple aluminum foil..You run a prick down the nipple..Piercing the charge. Then place the cap on the nipple..It is Lanyard fired with a slap hammer..I can also remove the nipple and use friction primers with the lanyard..But they are kinda expensive..Musket caps are much, much cheaper..

Here is a video of the loading sequence..The foil is a fake charge, just filled with flour for demo purposes..I shoot 1.8 ounces of 1f as the charge,,The bolt (projectile) is if I remember right is like 1.9 pounds..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Steve..I use that powder yet..Till it is gone anyway..

Jack where do you reenact at?

If you can see in the video of the loading sequence..You will see a thick black ring on the Breech Pin towards the front end..What that does is when you fire it..The head of the Breech pin steel piston in front of the rubber ring gets forced rearward ..Momentarily compressing and expanding the rubber ring and sealing the chamber momentarily, preventing gases to escape......Then the rubber obturator of course relaxes and piston goes back forward after firing, and you can open the Breech again..Very innovative and brilliant idea for the times that Hughes had there to seal a Breech Loader....

I have copys of his original patent drawings here too..

Here is a pic of the Breech assembly that may explain better than my words can on how it works..

It was a fairly complicated system to copy, for the simple operation it has to perform,,....That is only the front half of the whole Breech pin..The whole Breech assembly has around 17 parts total..

Wood Household hardware Hardwood Auto part Metal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts