Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of y'all used the HSM 32 cal. 115 gr. .313 bullets in in your 32-20 loads?

Any suggestions on other available bullets?

T.S.

·
Super Moderator
25,860 Posts
I have used Hunters Supply .312 115 gr non-GC boolits in the wife's 1894CL 32-20 and in my older pre-Mod 10 Smith wheelguns. Accuracy is very good and the price wasn't bad. However, I haven't needed to buy any since this new very expensive Brandon economy came into effect.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Never tried those,I use the 100gr flat nose from Rim Rock in my .32s&w long from a rifle at low speed, competing against 32-20 and bigger choices in pistol cartridge lever action silhouette.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. I appreciate your guidance. Jay, my truck sports a big "Let's Go Brandon" decal on the back window and I have a "Let's Go Brandon" cap ordered.
I have high hopes for the mid-term elections if the Communists don't manage to steal it.

Regarding the 32-20, I have a Marlin 1894CL in that chambering as well as a Savage 23C Sporter. It's a fun little cartridge. A couple days ago, I took delivery on a Colt Police Positive Special with a 6 inch barrel DOM 1916. It is in great condition. I thought it might be a nice companion to the rifles. Given the scarcity of ammo, I have decided to add the 32-20 to my list of rounds I load.

Thanks!!

T.S.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Have any of y'all used the HSM 32 cal. 115 gr. .313 bullets in in your 32-20 loads?

Any suggestions on other available bullets?

T.S.
Save the cases. The 32-20 is a good reason to start reloading if you do not already. You will not save much money. However, you will shoot about 5 times more for the same expense.

GT Bullets for me when I buy retail bullets for reloading. 100 gr and 115 gr HP's.

Great little cartridge. Tip: Shotgun powders like Alliant Unique, Herco, & Blue Dot or the IMR equivalent powders are your friend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven’t used the HSM cast bullets but I have used some by XTREXE. 115gr round nose flat point sized .313. One of those pills over a 5gr charge of unique and my 1906 vintage 1894 is happy! 32-20 is the cartridge that got me in to reloading and while I haven’t loaded a ton of rounds, it’s still been a fun experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,012 Posts
I haven’t used the HSM cast bullets but I have used some by XTREXE. 115gr round nose flat point sized .313. One of those pills over a 5gr charge of unique and my 1906 vintage 1894 is happy! 32-20 is the cartridge that got me in to reloading and while I haven’t loaded a ton of rounds, it’s still been a fun experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5gr unique works great in my 92 winnie rifle. its 109 yrs old and well worn. but shoots great. for some odd reason it shoots better with lp primers.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Haven't tried HSM bullets for my 32-20, but other HSM bullets have served me well. I bought 100 gr .312 wadcutters from Matt's Bullets last time I ordered any for my 1894 CL, and they shoot fine.

Just for kicks I slugged the barrel on my 2005 32-20 CL, and I measured it at .308". :unsure: Anybody else find a .308 barrel on their 30-20?

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
142 Posts
Haven't tried HSM bullets for my 32-20, but other HSM bullets have served me well. I bought 100 gr .312 wadcutters from Matt's Bullets last time I ordered any for my 1894 CL, and they shoot fine.

Just for kicks I slugged the barrel on my 2005 32-20 CL, and I measured it at .308". :unsure: Anybody else find a .308 barrel on their 30-20?
My 1990 model ( ballard rifled) and my 2004 model (sort of micro grooved?) both slug .3115-.312". Both prefer cast lead over jacketed for accuracy!
We don't have HSM in Australia. Commercially made cast lead projectiles makers that make good .32-20 include Hawkesburry River Bullet Company and Westcast. Both look to be the same mould, just different colour coatings. Both 115gn.
Best accuracy is obtained around that magic 1200-1250fps mark. I obtain this with the now unobtainable AP70, you would know this powder better as Unique.
My luck was in as recently I have become the new custodian of a genuine WRA .32 WCF hand loading tools! Included in this bundle is the genuine WRA mould for the .32WCF in great condition too! This mould drops out projectiles like little lasers. Where ever the barrel is pointing when the trigger is squeezed that is where the projectile goes!
Automotive tire Green Wood Hat Cork

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have a .312 115 grain mold for .32-20. I use 2400.

Reactions: Texas Shooter
1 - 14 of 14 Posts