Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, although I am not new to shooting, I am new to leverguns. I just purchased a new Spikehorn and wanted to know if I can safely use
Remington Corelokt 30-30 Hollow Points in my rifle. I know you cannot use pointed bullets in tubular magazines but their shape is not really pointy, although more so than the usual FP and RPs. I'm asking because I bought the box with the rifle thinking at the time that they were of the other more rounded profiles. Ofcourse, I can always load only one in the mag for a total of two in the gun but I would still like to know. By the way, they are 170gr. Thanks for your help..... :) H

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I am not familiar with the size of that hollowpoint, many are safe in the lever, to be sure go to the manufactures home page (for the ammo) as they will generally have that type of information listed. The key is you don't have such a sharp point that recoil cause a discharge in the mag tube, bigger the hollow in the point the less likely that could happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HP bullets

Should be ok I've shot many PMC 150gr HP's and Sierra 125 gr HP's without a problem over the years in a marlin 30aw 30-30. But I would still check Remingtons web site to be sure.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
As the vast majority of rifles chambered for .30-30 are lever actions, I seriously doubt Remington would load a round unsafe for use in such rifles without plastering warnings all over the box. However, as already suggested, it wouldn't hurt to check with Remington.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....

Thanks for the help. I can't seem to find that info. in their website but perhaps I'll give them a call. Pisgah does make a lot of sence, though. You see I would even try to exchange it at Bass Pro just to be on the safe side but it's a good 30 miles away and not really worth the trip just for a $13 box. In any case, I'll let you all know how the rifle shoots in a later post......

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I can't see the opening of the cavity in a hollow point being as large in diameter as the primer of the following round. I suggest that you load 1+1 until you get more information. That's the way I load the 150 gr in my .35.

SS

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've used that round in my 336, never had a problem, doubt you'll find any factory 30-30 ammo that won't be safe in any lever action.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
>I've used that round in my 336, never had a problem, doubt you'll find >any factory 30-30 ammo that won't be safe in any lever action.

Yeah, it's sort of like US factory-loaded 8mm Mauser ammo. There are so many old Mauser rifles out there, in so many varying states of repair and bore diameters, that it's all woefully under-loaded. No one wants their ammo blowing up some yahoo's old mismatched beater of an M98. With the .30-30, no one wants to be blowing up leverguns with pointy bullets stacked in a tube. Of course, some companies, like Garrett, nake a market by selling loads that might very well damage some guns in which they will chamber, but they go well out of their way in notifying the user exactly which guns their ammo should and shouldn't be used in.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Good Ammo.. Safe as all other 30-30 ammo

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well, looks like I'd learn to research before I spout off. The pics I see of this round look, as Gunjunkie and others, say to be completely safe in your tube loaded rifle. I had in mind a fully jacketed projectile.

SS

·
Registered
566 Posts
I shot some of the Remington 170 grain hollow point corelokt ammo at antelope in Montana and have to say the bullet is stoutly constructed as it sailed thru two of them leaving exit hole slightly bigger than bullet diameter. One went in a rear hindquarter, out the front and thru the jaw and out the nose of a 100 pound antelope. Might be designed for bigger game.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rickt- That's why I don't use them anymore, didn't notice any real difference from regular 170 corelokts.
Switched to W150PP, noticed a differece then! I suppose the 150 corelokts would do as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Before I started loading for the 30-30 I shot a bunch of deer and pigs with the 150 crain Corelokt and a few with the 150 grain Winchester power point. It sure seemed to me the 150's are way quicker killers on deer than the 170 grain bullets. That is just my experience. Favorite 150's to reload are the Speer and Hornady and I let the rifle decide which one it likes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts