Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the chaos of ammo supply and world events and political dirty pool..........what have you decided to maintain as a supply of 30-30?

Of those that reply......let me know....who's is ready made and who loads.

Lastly.......what do you take away from the 75c price/shot for commercial loads (Win, PPU, Rem)available currently through Gunbot..fair...good or excellent? :hmmmm:

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
Since I don't reload--I have stashed away 15 boxes of Winchester Super-X and Hornady LE 30-30 loads. 30-30 and 308 Win have been hard to find in my area for the past year. I think 15-20 bucks per box is a fair price for factory ammo unless its a specialty load (like Buffalo Bore). Due to todays economy and how the media isn't reporting on rising prices (called INFLATION)--I don't think you will normally find 30-30 ammo cheaper than Walmart prices these days.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
About 400 loaded rounds and enough components to do another 1500. For factory rounds it sounds about right.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Since I don't reload--I have stashed away 15 boxes of Winchester Super-X and Hornady LE 30-30 loads. 30-30 and 308 Win have been hard to find in my area for the past year. I think 15-20 bucks per box is a fair price for factory ammo unless its a specialty load (like Buffalo Bore). Due to todays economy and how the media isn't reporting on rising prices (called INFLATION)--I don't think you will normally find 30-30 ammo cheaper than Walmart prices these days.
The Walmarts near me usually have a box or two of Super X on hand for about $16 a box. Remington and Federal are a bit scarcer there. The LGS's around here usually have 30-30, but they usually charge about $22 a box.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
The Walmarts near me usually have a box or two of Super X on hand for about $16 a box. Remington and Federal are a bit scarcer there. The LGS's around here usually have 30-30, but they usually charge about $22 a box.
I used to think that Walmart carried "stock" items--even in ammo offerings. My central VA area Walmarts carry Win Super-X 30-30s. I have stopped in sothern VA Walmarts and they are carrying Remington and Federal brand 30-30s. Pretty strange! My LGSs charge more too--Rem Corelokts at 20 bucks are about lowest priced 30-30s in my area.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Every time I go to Walmart I go to their Sporting Goods Department and see what they have. 30-30 ammo has been available this spring, but its not coming out of their ears. One of the guys that works in that department told me that when they get a shipment of 30-30 ammo, its usually gone the same day. Certain brands last long because we all have our preferences.

I have a sufficient amount of factory ammo for range practice. I really can't afford to buy anything else right now, no job. I am trying to keep $$$ close to the vest.

Mike T.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Hand loads all. 1100 rounds. Enough material to reload them again.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I try to buy a box or two when I see a brand/bullet weight that my 30-30s like. I don't buy the store out of its stock--unless all they have is one box. Hopefully when I get back from Afghanistan next month--the ammo situation will be better. 30-30 ammo was very hard to find during late 2012 and into 2013 in my area at least. I bought a LOT of factory ammo back in the summer of 2012--just in case Obama won the election. I remember what happened to my local area ammo supply in early 2009. Bare ammo shelves everywhere.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a couple of hundred rounds, 1/2 Leverevolution and 1/2 a mix of Winchester and Remington. I'll pick up Corelokts when I see them. There is a bunch of Monarch 170 gr 30-30 at the Academy a mile from my house, but I'm holding off for better practice fodder.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
about 600 loaded, with enough components to load about 1000 more. still looking for more components all the time. dont know how much is enough, but I try to make sure I wont run out.

·
Premium Member
12,155 Posts
There is plenty of 30-30 at any gun and ammo place from small to large in this area. No 35 Remington around here at all that I have seen. The smaller shops have 22LR ranging from 6 cents a shot to 10 or 12. For most rifle or pistol ammo you can find it easy enough. Prices have gone up a little over a few years ago but so has gas and everything else because of the fuel prices. I was in Gander and they had two racks about 4 shelves high and maybe 10 feet long full of 45 acp. It made me chuckle as I know they will be having a sale on that before long. I also have plenty so I didn't buy any. Around here you can get all you want of most anything other than 22lr at the big stores and maybe 22 mag. as I have not seen it anywhere although have not look for it either.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I got about 25 box's of Winchester super x 150 gr, about 25 box's of Remington core lokt 150 gr. and about 3 box's of PPU 150 gr but I do pick up the winchest super x when ever I can from gunbot to wally world or my local big box or LGS

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
About 60rds Factory Ammo & Same Amount of Handloaded Ammo.
Lee 170gr RNFP Mold & 25lbs Pure Lead, 20lbs of WW & 20lbs of Linotype.
250 Brass, 500 Primers & 3lbs H-4198, 3/4lb IMR 3031, 3/4lb Trail Boss & 1lb LVR.
Need to Get More Powder [About Out of BL-C(2)] & Gas Checks (Have about 300 left)
Other than That, I'm Pretty Much Set.
Can Always Use More. No Such thing as Too Much.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I haven't had hardly any trouble finding 30-30's compared to 22LR's around here in SW Virginia. I usually am able to find a box or two about every other trip to WM, Sportsman's or Gander, but even when there is a 3 box limit, I'll still only buy no more than 2 per visit. I buy US Made Ammo only and will pay $20 or less per box. I probably average about $18 per. As of now, I have no plans to Re-Load. I really don't shoot a whole lot of 30-30's like I do 22's.

Bill

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I used to think that Walmart carried "stock" items--even in ammo offerings. My central VA area Walmarts carry Win Super-X 30-30s. I have stopped in sothern VA Walmarts and they are carrying Remington and Federal brand 30-30s. Pretty strange! My LGSs charge more too--Rem Corelokts at 20 bucks are about lowest priced 30-30s in my area.
Nothing surprises me about Wally World. We have two near where I live. The closer one never has any gallons of drinking water. All they ever have is distilled water. Today, though, I was at the other store, and I needed some distilled water. Do you think they had even one jug of it? Heck, no. Lots and lots of spring water and drinking water, though!

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Have less than a box of factory ammo, and just a few hand loads at the moment but have the components to load "several" hundred. Powder, primers, and boolits. Probably a little over a 150 cases, all tumbled and ready to go.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I think I only have three boxes. .30-30 is a sight in and hunt deal for me. No recreational target/plinking. I may have used a box in the last two years.

I shoot an air gun at home. Shoot a few .22s for fun. I'm not a hoarder but I have a good supply.

Reactions: Catherine
1 - 20 of 64 Posts