Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been virtually non-existent in Oklahoma. I usually fish off the dock for mine at about 6-10ft. about this time of year I can usally haul in a dozen or so on any given morning. I've caught 5 in the last 2 weeks and only 2 were keepers! I heard a "fishing story" from my neighbor that 4' depth has been ideal crappie fishin so far....they pulled in 2 dozen. I have my doubts....

Maybe it has been the colder than normal weather. Spawn should start around here in a few weeks and I'm hoping to fill up the freezer! keepers are over 11" for me. (state law is 10")

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I dont usually fish for crappie, but I will catch one every now and the on a pike spoon in deep water. I rarely find them shallow.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Boy I miss fishing for them. My BIL was a crappie fanatic, probably because it was a good excuse for a trip to the reservoir near the house. We'd go around the time the first poke leaves came out. Those were some of the best tasting fresh water fish I've ever had. We'd use small shad darts and fish around the drop offs. When you'd find them it was usually good for a bit before they'd quit. We had some good suppers those days.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh yes ----somebody said the magic word CRAPPIE---weather done got nice---Reelfoot lake is calling my name---gotta check out my boat & motor-----gotta make hard choice between fishing & going to range & testing all these new cartridges I've loaded up!!!-----I hear a voice in the background (MY MRS) reminding me that yard is covered w/ clover & needs mowing--that trees got a lot o broken limbs that need sawing-----gotta go into my selective hearing mode!!---Reelfoot lake has 10 in size minium but 3 yrs ago state stopped any commercial fishing in it & 10 in. can be tiny on good days now!! YES YES YES ya gotta love it when things come together!!!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Lake is a little muddy right now. Would like to go soon as it gets right. Been awhile since I fished reelfoot. Glad to hear the fishing is getting better. May have to try it this year.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
They are under about 6 inches of ice. It's bad ice though so it's hard to say for sure what going on out there. It will be a while before anyone goes fishing. After we have liquid water again it will be 3-4 weeks before we can get at them.

M

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
My son and I are gonna stay a few days at Lake Norfork next week-end and drown a few worms and scare the heck out of some minnows. Hopefully, we'll get some action with crappie and bass...and no telling what else....maybe a walleye...even might luck into a striper...wouldn't that be wild..!!

I'll let y'all know when I get back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here in MN the ice is still heavy. I would guess about 10 to 14 days depending on temps before we have open water. When the water is about 55 degrees they come in shallow to spawn and you catch a ton of em. I can't wait

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.