Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. Just traded for a new 1895 GBL.

I'm also new to the lever guns. My only rifle experience is with military type rifles.

My new gun is a Remington issue. I will soon find out if it's a keeper.

Here is a pix.

Can't decide if I want to go with the pistol, scout type scope, or with just the Fire Sights.

·
Registered
162 Posts
True Grit said:
I am new here. Just traded for a new 1895 GBL.

I'm also new to the lever guns. My only rifle experience is with military type rifles.

My new gun is a Remington issue. I will soon find out if it's a keeper.

Here is a pix.

Can't decide if I want to go with the pistol, scout type scope, or with just the Fire Sights.
Welcome to MO... you've come to the right place. Plenty of opinions here on after market sights. You just have to poke around a bit.

BTW, great looking gun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome! Nice looking rifle you got there. You've found the best one stop place for Marlin info on the net!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be glad to post some close-up pix of the gun if anyone would like to see the quality of the Remington fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Welcome to MO Mr Grit.
Warning!!! These Marlins are highly adictive. They are also known to follow you home. There is no cure for Marlinitis.
Your new rifle is A beauty.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Mr Grit, ya got a really good looking rifle there. Ya need to listen to old Gater there, he is correct about them Marlins. I have had to (almost) stop poking my head into any gun store as they will follow you right out the door. Shoot I'm still paying for one but yet I'm already looking. Stopped in two gun pushers on the way home from work today...... just to take a peak to see if there were any bulls eyes staring back at me.

Welcome to the family.......

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
True Grit said:

Decisions, decisions! Welcome to MO's!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Being a military rifle guy, you may want to strongly consider peep sights for the gun. I'm an old vet myself and take to peeps very well and put them on most all my lever guns.

There is a huge variety of makers and models out there these days so you have a lot of choices. Williams, Skinner, XS, Brockman's, WWG, and more.

A lot also depends on what your conditions and intent for the rifle will be. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Gaterskiner said:
Welcome to MO Mr Grit.
Warning!!! These Marlins are highly adictive. They are also known to follow you home. There is no cure for Marlinitis.
Your new rifle is A beauty.
That's no joke either! I had a pair of LTD III's hidden in the back of my "do not touch" safe since '99 and as soon as I found this site I've discovered 3 STP's and an STBL hiding in there too! To make matters worse I'm having a custom build done and I can't sleep anymore. About all I think about is that custom Trapper!
Welcome aboard, you've just discovered your long lost family.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with Eli, peep sights give you a quick and accurate sighting system (if you have the eyes for it). Peep sights add nothing to the weight or bulkiness of the gun and keeps it in perfect balance. I use the xs ghost ring sights and am very happy with them. They improved my accuracy as well as my target acquisition speed. Their front sight post has a white strip down the center that is much more visible in low light than Marlin's brass front sight. My front sight is the last thing that disappears in the woods during fading light and that happens when target acquisition has already shrunk to less than 25 yards.They are plenty strong and I see no need for wings as they would just obstruct vision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Howdy Again,

I should preface this by stating that I was at the gun store to purchase a new Ruger Scout 308. I just happened to see this Marlin GBL. I thought “Hey, maybe this would be a great Scout gun.” I purchased it totality on impulse as I simply thought it was beautiful. This is not my normal nature as I’m almost OCD.

I did not know of the New York /Remington change. This just happened to be a Remington build edition.

What you see is what I got. I took some close-ups for you more experienced guys to comment or criticize. I will have to wait a week or so to report on how she functions and her accuracy.

Note the screw by the safety button was about to fall out. Also, there is some cardboard “burn” marks on the top of the receiver.

What say ye?

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you were looking for a Scout gun when you bought it then by all means make it a Scout Gun. Put a good Scout Scope, Burris Scout or Leupold Scout, (I like the Burris better but that is my opinion and what I went with) on it. I know many say that a true Scout Gun has to be a bolt action but I think that is because that was the original one. Personally I think these new Marlins, GBLS and SBLs, are the perfect scout rifle. They are quicker than a bolt action and every bit as dependable. As a matter of fact you can lever a 2nd round into the chamber without removing the rifle from your sighting position. This is not done as easily or as smoothly with a bolt action so I think the little big bore levergus are more suited to be a Scout Rifle than a bolt action is. Don't get me wrong I really like the Ruger Scout but I did like the Frontier that was replaced by the Sout better.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
True Grit :)
Welcome to MO. I also have a GBL.
But mine looks a bit different than yours.
Buddy you got a screw loose. :eek:

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
True Grit, welcome to Mo and that is a good looking rifle you have. 8) Last night I finally went to see the new release of True Grit. ;D ;D

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the little chatter marks on top of the receiver and I'd just tighten up the screw. :)

I know you're interested in putting a scout scope on it, and it would be a perfect platform for that application, provided you weigh the pros and cons of the setup and decide it is right for you. It is a great a setup for the right applications but it does have it's limitations.

Just a little background on the Guide Gun and the GBL/SBL concepts and the adaptation of the scout scope...Guys like Jim West of Wild West Guns and Jim Brockman of Brockman's rifles had been cutting down people's standard 22" short mag tubed guns to 16-18" for years. If I'm remembering right, the original "re-introduction" of the 1895 (which was/is a reworked 336) was done on the straight grip platform and then somewhere along the way they converted the "standard 1895 to pistol grip. I might be wrong on that but I think that is right. At any rate, guys who hunted thick stuff, steep stuff, rode horses, flew planes, or what have you and who loved the power and versatility of the 45-70 were sending their guns to these guys to have them lopped off to make them handier for their applications.

The custom market for this modification must have proved robust enough that Marlin at last decided to offer a version of it as a catalog production item, that being the 1895G. The Guide Gun was so popular it remains in production today, along with the GS, and I'd hazard to guess it outsells the standard 1895 by a fair margin.

Now, the GBL and SBL concepts were essentially designed right here on MO by MO members. I don't know all the details and time lines but a fella by the handle of ORHunter, a former Marlin employee started soliciting feedback and two other members, Reflex and I have to apologize here as the other name escapes me, but those two put together their versions of a blued and stainless carbine with laminated stocks, 18" barrels, and full mag tubes. Their builds along with the feedback generated here in response to ORhunter's inquiry more or less led to the production of the rifles you see cataloged today. Pretty cool huh? :) If you think about it, even the 1895G came about because of Marlin owners, of course not MO forum folks (it didn't exist then) but owners and enthusiasts all the same.

Now, to address the scout scope and scout rifle...I'm not going to say I fully understand exactly what the late Col. Cooper fully intended for subsequently controversial Scout Rifle but my understanding of it is that is was to essentially be an all-around general purpose hunting rig. A carbine that compromised in some areas but excelled in one: Jack Of All Trades. It had to be light for all day carry in rough stuff, pack enough punch to take down a wide assortment of game and at varying distances, reliable, able to snap to the eye but also be able to take shots at a distance, and so on. Obviously, within each one of those specific things, there are going to be compromises so this idea, at least as I see it, was to try to give the hunter/shooter the most flexibility to adapt to any situation as possible.

When talking about the Scout Rifle, many will invoke the old cliche, "Jack of all trades but Master of none." I reckon that is fair but it's important to remember that this is an accepted reality in the Scout Rifle and that it's intent, again as I view it, is to be the Master of versatility.

Col. Cooper had some pretty strict guidelines for the Scout Rifle and this is why a Marlin lever gun will NEVER (or at least should NEVER) be a true Scout Rifle...

1. Bolt action (.308Win preferred) - A solid reliable action but more so, it allows for the use of spitzer bullets. Again, trying to take advantage of varying ranges and the .308Win chambering being a good compromise in recoil, punch, range, etc.

2. Less than 6.5lbs fully dressed - Probably the single hardest of the specs for folks to meet. I can only guess he was thinking about guys humping the rifle all day in rough terrain and the all of a sudden an elk stands up at 20yrds or a mule deer at 200. Less fatigue and more prone to be in the hands I reckon.

3. The long eye relief scope of low power. Good for snap shooting and acceptable for longer distances. Again, a compromise setup.

4. Overall length no more than 39" or 40" as I recall with a barrel around 18 or 19".

5. Bipod. I can only assume his idea was to help the hunter with longer range shots. But a Marlin should NEVER have a bipod put on it. It should be against the law! ;D

Backup sights and all that were recommendations but I don't think one if his specs.

I might be wrong of some of what I wrote there but I think I'm pretty close. The Scout concept is not for everyone but for those who appreciate it for what it is, it is a great concept. My scout scoped 336W is exceptionally well suited for my conditions and wouldn't set it up any other way. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
"Col. Cooper had some pretty strict guidelines for the Scout Rifle and this is why a Marlin lever gun will NEVER (or at least should NEVER) be a true Scout Rifle..."

Well I guess that settles it. If Col. Cooper and Col. Eli say the Marlin levergun should NEVER be a true Scout Rifle than by God I guess it isn't. I still think the short lever gun is more suited to be a scout rifle than a bolt action rifle ever will be but that is just my opinion and I am not as knowledgable as Col. Cooper and Col. Eli. ;D

But on the other hand, if I want to call mine a scout rifle then I guess I will. It is light, quick, easy to carry and can cycle a shell faster than a bolt action ever will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts