Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,
My name is Greg and I live in Eastern Alabama. I don't have a Marlin yet, but I am definately considering getting one to go hunting with and to solve a growing coyote problem out here on the acreage that I live on. I'm new to the board, and just wanted to say hello and ask a few beginners questions. I apologize if some of my questions seem moronic, but I've never owned a higher powered rifle (I have a SAR-1 in 7.62x39, but that's it), and I've never had one with a larger scope(I have a little bushnell scope on my Ruger 10/22), so I'm pretty new to the game of hunting rifles.
Here's my questions....

A Marlin 30/30 was the first firearm I ever fired back when I was about seven or eight. My dad had one for deer hunting and he took me hunting one day and we never saw a deer, but he let me shoot it at a tree anyways. I have a faint memory of having to operate the lever to chamber a new round, and then having to also pull the hammer back manually, so I'm just wondering if that is how Marlins are, or is my memory incorrect, or was his rifle maybe messed up somehow? I would think that when you operate the lever, that it would automatically cock the hammer back.
Secondly, is it pretty easy to put a scope on these things? If I were to use a quick detachable scope mount, when I took the scope off would the iron sights be immediately usable?
One more question. The model that I'm looking at is the 336W. Is this an alright rifle? I don't have a whole lot of available money to invest into a rifle, so it seems like a nice choice. Is there anything I should know?
Thanks everybody, and sorry for making such a large first post, I just have a lot to learn about hunting guns. I have a small/medium sized collection, but it consists of mainly tactical style weapons(Mossberg 500A combat style shotgun, SAR-1(AK-47), Glocks, etc) and I am very new to the more classical side of rifles and whatnot. Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you all sometime!

-Greg

·
Registered
482 Posts
Most any 336 is a very good rifle.

On mine with a weaver rail mounted to the receiver when I take the scope off it gets in the way of the sights. This is fixable. Some mounts are milled so this does not happen, just the mount I have is this way. So that would be something to look for. Also the few times I did this the rifle returned to a 'hunting' zero. Very close to where it was before which is not bad for removing the scope and it's mount. So would expect a return to zero with only removing the scope.

Either your Dad's gun had a problem or you mis-remember. The hammer should stay back when the action is cycled. But it really is not safe to carry it that way and the hammer should be lowered to 1/2 cock for carry. Possible this what you remember?? Cocking from 1/2 cock just before firing?

What is Eastern Alabama?? I'm on the AL/FL line in the eastern part of the state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Auburn/Opelika

Hey buddy,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it a lot. Yeah, I figured I was probably not remembering my experience with my dad's rifle correctly.
I live in the Auburn/Opelika area. It's pretty nice around here. I live on 75+acres but if I drive 20 minutes, I'm in college town, it's pretty nifty.

·
Registered
555 Posts
g_man500a
Welcome aboard its always nice to see someone new here..
I like the 336C but the 336W will do a fine job for you.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
No such thing as a bad or dumb question here except the one you don't ask. There are a lot of people willing to share and answer questions. Welcome abourd.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
What Sure-Shot said and WELCOME again.

Actually, your memory is partially correct. When you cycle the lever a shell goes into the chamber and the hammer is in full cock position. Your Dad had probably then put the hammer to what is called half-cock (safety). From there one thumbs the hammer all the way back and the rifle is ready to fire.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey guys,
Thank you for the welcome. Ya'll seem to have a good group of people here. I look forward to talking to you all more. I have never handloaded before, but I am kind of considering starting it up after reading what some of the people on this board have said about it. I know a little bit about it from some old friends of mine that used to do all that, but not much, so when the time comes, I am sure I will have all sorts of questions. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
g_man,

Welcome. I recently bought a 336W from Wal-Marts for $278. Last week I was in Chattanooga at Dick's Sporting store (I-75 exit 5) and they had a 336A with a scope for $299. I can't remember what type of scope, make and power, but the salesman said it was about $80 for the scope. He said it was provide with the gun from Marlin.

Where in AL do you live? I travel thru AL a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alabama

cmar said:
g_man,

Welcome. I recently bought a 336W from Wal-Marts for $278. Last week I was in Chattanooga at Dick's Sporting store (I-75 exit 5) and they had a 336A with a scope for $299. I can't remember what type of scope, make and power, but the salesman said it was about $80 for the scope. He said it was provide with the gun from Marlin.

Where in AL do you live? I travel thru AL a lot.
Hey There,
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of getting, from Wal-Mart. I wish I could find a deal like that $299 with a scope. Hopefully I'll find something like that when the time to buy comes around. Was that 336A new or used? What is the main differences between the different 336 models. I know that one is stainless steel, but other than that the different model designations are a mystery to me.
I live in the Auburn/Opelika area. Central east side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 336A was new.

From the Marlin catalog the 336Y is a youth model w/black walnut stock, 16.5" barrel, 5 shot mag. The 336SS is Stainless Steel w/black walnut stock, 20" barel, 6 shot mag. The 336C is blued, w/black walnut stock, 6 shot mag. and can also be ordered w/35 remington caliber, 6 shot mag The 336CC is the same but w/ camo design. the 336 W is the has a walnut finish stock with a sling. The 336A is the same as the W without the sling except for the one at Dick's sporting store.

The Y,SS,&C have fold down rear sights.

I've been thru that area several weeks ago. Didn't Aburn win yesterday?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The W gold plated steel trigger and the sling. the hardwood stock is birch.

There is also a 336 Cowboy in a 38/55 Win caliber with an octagon barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Auburn

cmar said:
The 336A was new.

From the Marlin catalog the 336Y is a youth model w/black walnut stock, 16.5" barrel, 5 shot mag. The 336SS is Stainless Steel w/black walnut stock, 20" barel, 6 shot mag. The 336C is blued, w/black walnut stock, 6 shot mag. and can also be ordered w/35 remington caliber, 6 shot mag The 336CC is the same but w/ camo design. the 336 W is the has a walnut finish stock with a sling. The 336A is the same as the W without the sling except for the one at Dick's sporting store.

The Y,SS,&C have fold down rear sights.

I've been thru that area several weeks ago. Didn't Aburn win yesterday?
Thanks for the info!. That definately helps a lot. I think the W should probably suit my needs I guess, if the only real main difference seems to be the wood used on the stock.
As far as Auburn, yep, they put a serious whoopin on Georgia this weekend. Was a really good day to be an Auburn fan, haha. I'm looking forward to the Auburn vs. Alabama game next weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You'll never regret purchasing a Marlin. But you may get hooked, and develop an uncontrollable urge to acquire them. It's called Marlinitis, and it's invariably fatal--to your bank account.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts