Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Everyone,
I am pretty surprised by it myself, but I seem to have recently become a lever addict! In the last 3 months I've added two 1892s in 357 (winchester/miroku & Rossi), a Henry Big Boy 357, a browning BL22, a Winchester 9422 XTR, and last but not least a very nice condtion little fired 1966 336RC in 35 REM.

I stumbled across the 336RC in Cabelas yesterday and despite knowing very little about the caliber, the manufacturer, etc I decided "what the heck". I don't really hunt, so 30-30 or 35Rem are equally pricey for paper punching - without reloading. Upon discovering that I could use a 357/38 bullet in my 35 Rem reloads while retaining the option to use full house 35rem if desired on pigs/deer etc, I figured - why not?

Now, with a grand total of 20 Hornady LeveRevolution bullets as a seed kit, I'm trying to figure out how to make a good plinking/target round!

I'll be starting a thread soon - hopefully in the right place. I skimmed 20+ pages of the 30-30 vs 35Rem tome and am amazed at the passion...

My questions:

1. Can I transfer over a 357 plinking load directly to the 35 Rem? I've used 125gr PLATED FP with 4.3gr TITEGROUP, standard primers (a 38 SPL +P load) with nice accuracy in the Rossi 92 that delivers 1139FPS from the muzzle of a 20 in rifle. Seemlingly directly analogous to the 336RC 35 Rem...

2. What's another (few) plinking/target recipes? I assume Titegroup is pretty uncommon in a rifle cartridge but it supposedly is case volume insensitive & the 357 Mag case has plenty of empty space - as would the 35 Rem case...Is titegroup ok? (It's the powder I have the most of and as you know it's hard to find anything).

I've heard 9.3 gr Unique w/158gr JHP, or 12.5g 2400 with 158gr JHP but don't have any velocity data? Ideally I'd want it under 1500FPS so I can use my Xtreme Plated bullets without fear of disintegration/leading. Hard cast would be nice but is problematic as local ranges ban exposed lead around here (sigh)...and Hornady XTP gets pricey for plinking...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Todd

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hello from NE Texas. I don't plick with my 35's but with cast boolits they work good. I just recently started shooting pistol bullets in my 35 and they are deadly. I shoot the 180 xtp and light it up with H-335.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Hey Todd,
I can't answer any of your questions, but welcome from just up the road a few miles in Bonham.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
welcome from the central Texas area

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Super Moderator
16,014 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
20,515 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
​Welcome from a fellow Texan in H-town...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome from Mass.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here. John

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the Marlin! If it is lacking a recoil pad, you might want to look for one:biggrin:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Todd,
Welcome from the high plains of Colorado. As you have found, leveritis sets in with surprising speed and once contracted is uncurable. You can treat the symptoms, either by visiting
MO often or procuring more rifles. By the way, we like to see pictures of your lever actions.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Well there are good acknowledgeable folks here that will give you answers. And howdy back from down the road from ya.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello Todd and welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, hang in there and I'm certain you'll start getting answers to
your questions. Wish I had some for you.

From the State of Louisiana!!!
Team 45-70 #1214
John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts