Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot since I was 8 or 9.I love to hunt and shoot my .22 rimfires but I deer hunt with my 336 in 35 Rem. that I have had since 80. Killed numerous deer with it and took it hog hunting last winter and did not get a shot, good day for the pigs. The reason I posted is that one of my friends just bought a beautiful 1894, 44 mag , octagon barreled with highly grained blonde stock and forearm. The rifle is a 70's era gun that was part of a gun collectors estate and the fit of the wood is great. Did Marlin produce these guns with high grade stocks or is this a high grade replacement? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Super Moderator
16,009 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello Skwer, Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America." "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania. Your friends gun was manufactured in 1973 and there was only 2957 of them made, therefor they are collectors items that are worth more if it is in the original condition. We need to see a picture of the stock and forearm to help determine if the stock is original.

Coyote222

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
I have shot since I was 8 or 9.I love to hunt and shoot my .22 rimfires but I deer hunt with my 336 in 35 Rem. that I have had since 80. Killed numerous deer with it and took it hog hunting last winter and did not get a shot, good day for the pigs. The reason I posted is that one of my friends just bought a beautiful 1894, 44 mag , octagon barreled with highly grained blonde stock and forearm. The rifle is a 70's era gun that was part of a gun collectors estate and the fit of the wood is great. Did Marlin produce these guns with high grade stocks or is this a high grade replacement? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to Marlin Owners Forum from NC!

To answer your question:

The fit , finish, and actions of the original "Marlin made Marlins" (which one can easily ID by the JM stamping and a serial# check) , *have always* been very nice, and well fitted, with smooth working actions. All the way back to the cowboy days.

It's the new "Marlins made by Remington", after Remington bought out Marlin Firearms (often referred to as "Remlins") that suffer the poor fit of the stocks as well as a few other major problems. I hear Remington is supposed to be slowly improving quality of the Marlins ("Remlins"), but from what I've read on here...much too slow to make us "JM stamped" Marlin owners happy.

Please post a picture using photobucket or such so we can view it. It's fairly possible that the previous owner installed custom stocks or such. A Marlin of 1970s vintage would have been a nicely fitted, well working firearm though. Can't tell unless you post pics.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to MO. Don't forget a picture or two of your .35 as well.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Your .44 sounds like a great rifle, would like to see some pictures.

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts