Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advise on the best way to throw or catapult my 35 Rem at a deer and kill it. Because I cannot find any cartridges.

Can't find them in stores. Went to gun show a few weeks ago and cheapest box was $72.

I sent an email to Georgia Ammo...they replied (paraphrased) "we hear you...check back in 3 or 4 years".

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Wanna sell that 35 Remmie? I have plenty of ammo and brass for mine and could use another.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Cabelas just had it. It was $50+ a box. Crazy times. Even fired brass is going for $1 a piece. 35 REM comes in seasonal batches. Winchester was fairly recently. Hornady did a batch of their FTX in the October timeframe and it was all over the place until it sold out. You just got to jump on it when it comes in the seasonal runs.

Reloading is your friend but 35 REM components are tough right now. Those components are typically seasonal too so grab them when you can.

· Registered
77 Posts
I am looking for advise on the best way to throw or catapult my 35 Rem at a deer and kill it. Because I cannot find any cartridges.

Can't find them in stores. Went to gun show a few weeks ago and cheapest box was $72.

I sent an email to Georgia Ammo...they replied (paraphrased) "we hear you...check back in 3 or 4 years".
I'd suggest the baseball bat method. Get more pounds energy delivered, compared to throwing it. Hide behind tree close to game trail, and then swing, so butt stock connects to head. Grip the barrel and magazine tube tight. Swing like you are aiming for left field.

/sarcasm

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd suggest the baseball bat method. Get more pounds energy delivered, compared to throwing it. Hide behind tree close to game trail, and then swing, so butt stock connects to head. Grip the barrel and magazine tube tight. Swing like you are aiming for left field.

/sarcasm
I wish I could switch hit.

· Premium Member
3,595 Posts
I have three 35 Rem Marlins and enough components and ammo to last me 30 years. I'm prepared. If I wasn't prepared, I would firm 35 Rem cases from 308 and use readily available 180 grain .357 handgun bullets.

However, for $72 a box I would just buy them to save the hassle and save the brass. Is it the principal of not paying $72 a box to keep you from using your 35 Rem? I remember buying my first box of 35 Rem in 1993 for $11 a box. Gas for my truck was .80 a gallon. Gas has gone up 400% since then and I still buy it every week which is over $70. Heck, eggs have gone up 200% in the last couple years, but I still buy a dozen a week.

· Registered
8,061 Posts
The best always costs a little more.

It's out there. Don't get discouraged. Keep looking. It'll be all the sweeter when you finally find some.

I don't have a 35 Rem, but I can imagine if that happened to my 44 Rem Mag or 45-70......

· Registered
Loved to experiment and shoot a variety of guns.
6,243 Posts
There wa an individual that made 35 Remington brass from 308 brass. Looking at dimensions it might require a bit of turning at the base or the head. I ran into the 35 ammo shortage a few years ago and still buy the Hornady Lever cartridges when I need 35 ammo from a store. Now I just reload it. Primers are not so easy to get right now. So reloading may not be quite the panacea some claim, but I also learned to stash away primers. Good luck.

DEP

1 - 20 of 40 Posts