Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Marlin CB 45/70 gov't lever action marlin rifle. It has the 26" tapered octagon barrel

Unsure of it's date of manufacture. Not an old antique though. FWIW It has the red plastic cap that's visible in ammo slot when/where you slide the cartridges in toload the ammo tube.(I'd like to make an aluminum one as a modification)

Is there a date on the rifle somewhere or way to look up serial # and tell? I think it's a 2001-2011 model, but unsure. Scope may be covering the info?

Reactions: cajunjohn

·
Banned
97 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If its a CB the serial # will be on the left side of the reciever take the first two numbers subtract from 100 ie example 93 minus 100 = 7 you have a 2007 YOM

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know you said you think it is from 2000, but this may help you if it is older.

Marlin Manufacture Dates
It gave me 1883 on one (wrong one) . And I 'm pretty sure they'd not invented red plastic that far back. LOL So tried the lever action one, and it came back as "No match was found for 98"

Reactions: comanche8f

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If its a CB the serial # will be on the left side of the reciever take the first two numbers subtract from 100 ie example 93 minus 100 = 7 you have a 2007 YOM
That's where mine's SN is and this sounds more like mine's production date. According to this method it was manufactured in 2002.

I looked up when 45/70 CB Gov't with 26" octagon barrels were made in somewhat recent years (2001-2011) and the smooth forestock and rear stock plus the rifle is in *excellent/like new condition* led me to believe it was in the 2001-2011 range

So 2002 it is!

Thanks , I really appreciate it. I never really knew for sure the exact production date.

NOW...to figure out how hard or easy it'll be to make an aluminum or SS replacement for that red plastic thingamagig. Funny, I don't even know what to call it , but going to try & make one. I have an old lathe. Maaaybe I can make one.........

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Have fun with your lathe but you can get one in stainless for about $15.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have fun with your lathe but you can get one in stainless for about $15.
Well by all means PLEASE tell me where to get one at.

Sorry for the late reply but somehow I logged out, and forgot my username just enough to spend @ 2 hours trying to get logged back in.

In my defense my username for this site is very much similar to the one I use on another gun forum,

Seems I was typing in the username *for that other forum's* username. Whew...I think I've been working too hard lately...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I bought a red anodized mag tube follower for my 35 Rem. off ebay. I wanted one that was recessed in the end for FTX bullets. The one for the CB is different from the 336 follower.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there MM -- I've run a bazillion rounds through Marlin levers with the plastic follower. Never an issue. They are red or orange for a reason and it could save you some grief someday. Makes it pretty easy to see an empty mag tube at a glance...

View attachment 98525

Best regards. Wind
Good point. But I think I'd still prefer a metal one. I' will look to see if they have a red anodized aluminum or similar metal one for the 45/70 like biggog found for his Remy

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beartooth Mercantile.... Brass would be easyish to see...

BloodGroove4570
Thanks BloodGroove4570. I'll be ordering a SS one this week from them. For 12 bux, it'll probably be cheaper to buy it rather than spending 3 hours making one. My lathe is an old all hand/eye lathe.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Beartooth Mercantile.... Brass would be easyish to see...

BloodGroove4570
That's where I've gotten mine. Like Wind, I too am not a big fan of "new and improved" parts. I waited on this one until my wife's Texan became disabled due to a plastic follower split in two. Then both of the Texans, mine and hers, got new metal ones. Not too worried about my newer Marlins, but both Texans are from the last century.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious,, I'd wondered about the Man Date of my 444S.. where's the ser# on that one? It's one of the older Micro-groove's ? Not on the barrel or reciever?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hey there BFPGW, be carefull, I'm from the last century too, from before the half century mark. I need to get woith you sometime when wife and I come to Columbia to visit son and his family. Take care, John.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Curious,, I'd wondered about the Man Date of my 444S.. where's the ser# on that one? It's one of the older Micro-groove's ? Not on the barrel or reciever?
Can't be too hard to find, it's not a big rifle. Receiver, upper tang, lower tang.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Hey there BFPGW, be carefull, I'm from the last century too, from before the half century mark. I need to get woith you sometime when wife and I come to Columbia to visit son and his family. Take care, John.
I'm from the upper half of the last century, just barely. Annie's Texan is only a couple years younger than me. Thankfully none of my parts has broken, yet.

Would love to meet up but note, I'm in Boone Country, not Boone County. Columbia still isn't far. We bird hunt in Higbee.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wild West Guns makes some followers that are anodized red. If you are dead set on getting a metal one their alum red ones might alleviate any safety concerns.

Wild West Guns Mag Follower Marlin Lever-Action Rifle 44 Remington Mag
Thanks the idea of one colored red does sound like a good idea.

I'm wondering which expands and contracts the most in ambient temperature swings the most.... stainless steel or aluminum ?

Maybe the SS one will last longer, but may wear the tube more? Whereas the aluminum one would wear, but exert less wear on the tube?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts