Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance on picking up a sweet genuine Marlin for a good price. But the guy I'm buying it from doesn't know what model it is because he bought it used. How can you tell if it's a C, CS, W or whatever?
Thanks for the help,
Joe

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
Look on the barrel--the model designation should be stamped there along with the caliber and where the rifle was manufactured.

Reactions: JAM61

·
Registered
9,455 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has the "JM" stamp on it, but the guy who has it says there are no model #s on it. I looked at my son's who has a 336 AS and I didn't see the "AS" stamped on his.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
It has the "JM" stamp on it, but the guy who has it says there are no model #s on it. I looked at my son's who has a 336 AS and I didn't see the "AS" stamped on his.
I'm unclear who you mean by his. Is that your son's or the man who has the gun for sale? You say "there are no model #s. If there are no model numbers, how do you know it's a 336?

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
If the gun is a 336 AS, it has a birch stock, and is the same as the 30 AS, and the Glenfield 30 AS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is. Sorry for the confusion Plumber. This guy on armslist has this for sale. We know it's a 336 and has "JM" stamped on it but we don't know if it is a "AS" or "W" or any of the other models. So I looked on my son's 30-30 (I know it's an 336 AS) to see if it has it stamped on the barrel but it doesn't. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
JAM61.
That is a 336 C. Most of them were only marked as 336. Before 1969 they were marked 336 RC. That one looks to be in very good condition.:biggrin: Hope you get it.

The AS, and W have birch stocks, and don't have a grip cap, and white line spacer, this one is walnut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts