Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to long guns. I have a new 795 which was cleaned prior to the initial range visit.
I have mounted a scope on the rifle. Is there any way to take down the rifle for cleaning without removing
and remounting the scope? What is the consensus of 795 owners?

Also, is it the consensus that the bore is generally not to be cleaned per the manual? Or do most folks exclusively use
a bore snake? Is it really harmful to use a cleaning rod from the muzzle end?

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... There will be some experts along to help you out shortly...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome racpc50. I like the bore snake and only clean the barrel and action as well as I can without a tear down until its had a lot of rounds thru it. I've never had to take the scope mounts off for a cleaning.
And yes it can damage the crown if you use a rod and cleaning from the muzzle towards the breech pushes debris and dirt into the action/trigger group.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had mine for over a decade.... I've never cleaned the action and hardly clean the bore. That thing just runs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The scope and mount don't affect cleaning at all.

I know the manual says don't clean the bore, but I'm just weird that way. I want a clean bore on everything. I use a bore snake since you can't use a rod on the 60/795, but if you wanted "the best of both worlds" You could get an Otis kit - it's a cable that pulls regular brushes and whatnots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for contributing some great information and fast too! I am doubling my knowledge every time I read a forum post.

I look forward to giving back in the future.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I am a newbie to long guns. I have a new 795 which was cleaned prior to the initial range visit.
I have mounted a scope on the rifle. Is there any way to take down the rifle for cleaning without removing
and remounting the scope? What is the consensus of 795 owners?

Also, is it the consensus that the bore is generally not to be cleaned per the manual? Or do most folks exclusively use
a bore snake? Is it really harmful to use a cleaning rod from the muzzle end?
Modern rimfire ammo does NOT need barrel cleaning after every range trip. Corrosive/errosive priming is long in the past. One of the NRA mags had a recent article where they took a new rimfire, used a bore scope on it before running a cleaning rod down it ONCE. Once was enough to cause visible damage when it was scoped afterwards. They had photos.

Leave off with the bore snake, too. I've had barrels on surplus rifles that have had the lands worn off using pull-throughs, they pick up grit and just erode the bore at the muzzle, you could drop a loaded round in up to the shoulder.

Clean the blown-back crud out of the action, sure. Leave the bore alone unless you get crap ammo that leads it up. Solution there is not to buy crap ammo.

Smallbore target shooters hardly ever clean their bores, it takes too long to get the barrel settled back in to what it was doing before it was cleaned. You don't need to do a detailed strip on the action every time you shoot it, either. Just causes wear. Mop out what you can get with a patch, put it back in the case and go scout up some ammo for the next session. Don't obsess over it. The bore isn't going to rust up, the wax lube gets vaporized and blown into every crack in the barrel. Barn guns can be wrecks outside but usually the bores are shiny. Clean the bore and the wax goes away. Do it once when you get a new gun to get the factory grease and crud out and seldom afterwards.

Stan S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts