Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TomTom lets you put four lines of text on a welcome screen that appears every time you power the device up. They also let you put a four digit numeric passcode on the device. Without that password the device will not do anything except show the customized text on the welcome screen.

So I password protected mine, and the welcome screen says:

This device belongs to
My Real Name
Reward if found
My real phone number

I think putting a price on that reward might discourage someone from calling the number, because they might not like the number. I think that just saying "reward" would get someone's curiosity up enough to call, and once you have their phone number you have at least something to give to the police if they don't like your reward price, or if the deal goes south.

I think the password can be defeated on a TomTom, by reformatting the device and reinstalling the TomTom software, but that destroys the map, and TomTom doesn't give those away. I haven't tried this, and I have no desire to because it takes HOURS to reformat and reinstall a Tom Tom. It's also entirely possible that the password would survive a reformat, but I don't know. I'll look on their website and see.

Oh... also it's not a good idea to set your real address as "HOME" in your GPS. ESPECIALLY if it's not password protected. I have heard of thievs stealing GPS devices from parking lots at events such as little league ball games, because they know you won't be home for a few hours, and now they have directions to your house. I use an intersection on my street as "HOME". I don't care if anyone goes there while I'm at a ballgame.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked the TomTom website. It looks like your password will survive a reformat, but a savvy crook will probably still try. So while you are installing the password, be sure to backup your map (which you REALLY should do anyway) or else you'll have to buy a new one. You can also do a backup of your entire device which backs up the map and the TomTom software in the same file. As far as I can tell, you can't extract the map from the device backup, so it would be wise to do both. Both backups take a very long time, but it's worth it if you ever have an issue (and I have).

Even if you don't get the device back, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you've spoiled it for the thief. He won't even be able to pawn it after that.

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
I got a TomTom that I have never used . . never go anywhere I haven't been already & know how to get to again.

·
Super Moderator
12,738 Posts
I got a TomTom that I have never used . . never go anywhere I haven't been already & know how to get to again.
That's the best part about a GPS - just head out for parts unknown and you can always get home. When I'm on my bike I like exploring and the GPS makes that worry free. You can also load points of interest (POIs) for all sorts of cool stuff - there's some for waterfalls, tourist attractions, famous restaurants (like the ones on that roadside cafes web site that rates road food). It's a blast to explore with these things!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I turn mine on and switch it to the "2D" view, which is essentially an overhead map. I hardly ever use it for directions, and even when I do I don't follow them until I get close to where I'm going. I know my way around too. ;)

I just like maps. I like having one that's always folded to the right place. I also like exploring different routes and new roads. I like to take back roads, and I loathe traffic. So if I see so much as a backed up stoplight, that's all the excuse I need to turn off of a street and try a different one.

What do you think of my recovery plan? If you stole it (not that any of you would steal it but), would you call the number and try to claim the reward? Be like "I found this on the side of the road, and it says to call you..." ?

·
Super Moderator
12,738 Posts
I would - if teh thief can't get it to work he probably *would* pitch it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.