Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I froze a big chunk of fresh ginger almost a year ago, wacked off a hunk, thawed it out, minced it and it was just the same as fresh. It hardly lasts 2 weeks in the fridge. Nothing like fresh ginger in stir fry (in the cast iron skillet :) )

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Tubby,
I thought when I read your Subject line that you were going to divulge a secret that only "Fred Astaire" knew about. He always just washed her with that nice smelling soap and then sprinkled her in all the right places with a special powder. And man, was she "fresh".

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Did you package it a special way when you originally froze it. I am surprised that you didn't loose the real flavor during the year long period.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had it doubled wraped in a plastic bag. I'm surprised,too. I thought it would be all mushy after it thawed. Probably not quite as crisp as fresh, but almost. I was thinking that I could just use a grater on the frozen piece and not even worry about thawing and mincing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
T3, You gave me the idea...... I might put mine in tupperware though. Think it would seal much better! Thanks for the good idea!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sasquatch said:
T3, what are some of your favorites in said stir fry?
Brown seseme oil, garlic, soy, ginger, red pepper to taste, and whatever.....I don't have recipes. I've been using the spice Old Bay lately....very good on everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts