Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day Marlin Family.
I'm 63 years old and been right handed all my life. But my right hand lost a lot of power.
So now my trigger finger is very very weak. I need to lighten the trigger pull. I bought it
brand new last tax year.
I had it done with my other older 3030 long time ago, but done by a gunsmith.

Is it something I can do in which I will need instructions on the how to's.
If not what is the going cost of having it done?

Thank You For Your Time
Cevin

·
Super Moderator
16,832 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

Depends on how handy you are... There is a lot of information in the gunsmithing forum... Or you could do what I did and install Ranger Point Precision triggers... Fairly easy to do and a crisp 3.5 pound trigger pull was the result... You can get it even lighter if you install the lighter hammer spring that is included with the trigger... It has been reported to come in at 2.5 pounds...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If it's a new 336, i.e. Remlin, you'll find that replacing the trigger will help a lot. I used the WWG happy tune kit to replace the trigger, ejector, and follower. I also replaced the loading gate with one from RPP making it much easier to load.

PS Welcome aboard from Delaware.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Another trick that has some merit is to cock it and put a lot of pressure on the hammer while working the trigger. May help lighten the pull a bit. I also bent the triger return spring on my old one to help adjust the trigger. Nothing wrong with the other ideas either.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
33,067 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Hello and Welcome from SC Pennsylvania!!! Good luck on a lighter trigger pull!!

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
good info in the gunsmithing forum. I did a couple myself that came out nicely

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I believe that if you choose to buy a replacement trigger or do the job yourself I would polish the contact point on the hammer. Most trigger jobs I have done on Marlins the notch on the hammer is rough and polishing the notch on the hammer can improve the trigger pull. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Go here and read some of the posts.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/basic-triggers/

Me personally, my favorite method is the second post down on the sticky note list "sear fix to lighten trigger pull". You need a couple basic tools but even buying a set of triangle hone stones is far cheaper than buying an aftermarket trigger and for the price of the stones you can do every marlin you own.

Reactions: Lever Jac

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just put the Ranger point trigger in my New 336XLR. I purchased it with the lighter hammer spring. I did stone up the sear slightly to clean it up and installed. I have a nice 3.0-3.5 pound trigger pull now. I am very pleased. I have done my own trigger job on my 1895 and it came out well to but you have to take your time and be patient. If the cost isn't prohibitive, I really like the Ranger point trigger. The lighter hammer spring helps allot in my opinion. Good luck whatever your choice is and enjoy. jwingman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts