Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in this! I use two inch wide straps to hold my machines on my trailer. I always put a twist on each side so it dosen't vibrate in the wind while driving. Now I did have straps fail on me already! Only due to the sun deteriating the straps!
Watch this 13 minute video and watch the action!

your thoughts on this!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
330 Posts
Interesting video! Have heard DOT war stories from all over, and some states, California being one of them, often has some retard that shouldn't be wearing a badge, trying to assert his authority, telling drivers they should NOT twist straps. Most drivers simply promise them they won't ever do it again, and keep on doing it.

When hauling loads of live honey bees across the country, you are required to net them, and a set of nets, even a cheap set of nets, is $750 to $1000 dependent upon trailer length and options such as, end flap configuration, D-Rings, Velcro corners, quality of materials used, etc. A good set of nets, you can drop $1000 on each half of the net pretty easy. Straps fluttering in the breeze, will cut a net in a heartbeat! Likewise, they will wreck a set of lumber tarps, it just takes a little longer. Not to mention they will drive you crazy humming in the breeze back there for thousands of miles.

The knot result wasn't the least bit surprising, anyone that fishes knows the knot is the weakest point in the line, and the most likely point of failure. That's why we tie all of those funky knots on our hooks. I was however surprised by the reduced tensile strength of the wet strap, but the water maybe allowed the fibers to slide easier reaching the breaking point. I don't know, that one was weird.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It's all about bend radius of the fibers. There is little bend radius in the twists. the straps broke where they started to bend around the cam of the ratchet. No surprise with the knot. Most knots create large strength losses.

It would be interesting to see results with dirty, worn straps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was interested in this! I use two inch wide straps to hold my machines on my trailer. I always put a twist on each side so it dosen't vibrate in the wind while driving. Now I did have straps fail on me already! Only due to the sun deteriating the straps!

your thoughts on this!

ca'jun56
Everything I was taught in H.R.S.T. Master course...high line rescue when a fireman...my fishing days on tuna boats...knots suck when line strength is paramount. That’s why u ONLY used certain knots on loads.

I always put a twist in my straps too. I can’t stand the singing!

I‘m that guy at HD or Lowe’s or COSTCo in the parking lots...whose ALWAYS..helping folks secure their loads. Normal people do not know lines, knots, tensioning..etc..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wet straps can slip, as well as, break (a little) easyer. On camlocks or ratcheting tiedowns I put at least one half-hitch around the strap and lock mechanism. It acts as a sort of self-tightening knot when they slip.

I don't mean to hijack the thread or get off topic, but it is pertinent to securing a load properly. When hooking up trailer safety chains, cross them under hitch so they form an X under the ball. If the hitch comes loose from the ball, the trailer tongue will drop and be caught by the crossed chains in stead of dropping straight down to the road surface.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My biggest takeaways from the video are: It appears he could only get to 50% of the rated working strength tightening the ratchet by hand, good to know. I was impressed with the amount of stretch the straps have and the repeated shock load the jack could withstand. He has a great shop with very cool heavy duty tools. Most importantly, it's fun to break stuff!

·
Registered
96 Posts
In Australia if you have 1 twist in your ratchet straps you will get fined X amount of $$$$'s per twist as they are a weak point in securing a load be it on a semi trailer or a car trailer if you get pulled over by the Road and Maritime Services Inspectors and they are vicious mongrels.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am assuming "machines" mean ATVs. I don't trust straps much when hauling ATVs so I don't twist straps and I replace straps frequently.

I know that you know this but If I am hauling something like a tractor, I use chains and binders on all four corners. I use 4" straps to hold down implements attached to the tractor.

Regardless of what you are hauling, it's a good idea to get out of the truck and check how things look back there after you travel a few miles.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Well I didn't see a "Coke Machine" coming! I don't know how the drivers and roads are in your area or how far and fast you travel on said roads. S.C. drivers are pretty bad and the roads here are awful. I secure a load on a trailer with the idea that a panic stop will occur. Obviously you have to use straps for you loads. I would inspect said straps frequently. I would not have twists in my straps and honestly I would use at least two straps. I have had straps fail and if it's dark outside you may not learn about it until something bad has happened.

·
Super Moderator
33,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I didn't see a "Coke Machine" coming! I don't know how the drivers and roads are in your area or how far and fast you travel on said roads. S.C. drivers are pretty bad and the roads here are awful. I secure a load on a trailer with the idea that a panic stop will occur. Obviously you have to use straps for you loads. I would inspect said straps frequently. I would not have twists in my straps and honestly I would use at least two straps. I have had straps fail and if it's dark outside you may not learn about it until something bad has happened.
I feel your concerns "white cloud"!
I drove 18 wheelers late 70's early 80's, learn to strap down loads from older drivers. These big drink machines are 800 lbs, so I'm carefull to strap them down. As for my chains, crossed and always check tail lights before I hit the road! I go about ten miles and stop and check my straps! You never know what will come loose! Louisiana roads are bad!

ca'jun56

Reactions: Darkcloud

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Here in S.C. they upped the gas taxes so they could fix the roads. Now the roads look worse than ever. My "towing nightmare" is having something come loose and kill somebody in another vehicle.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts

your thoughts on this!

ca'jun56
Interesting and solidifies what my dad taught me... 1 twist per side (no hum and no vibration) and no knots...

We were JUST discussing this out here in White Sands NM, while readying pallets of equipment for transport on the Missile Range this past week. Discussion included a couple very seasoned OTR drivers who came to the very same consensus as Scorpiusb's Dad taught him. I thought I learned something then, and just had it solidified for me here. This site is truly a wealth of all-around general knowledge and information. One of the reasons I truly love visiting each day - just never know what we will learn or have confirmed for you.

Great Post Ca'jun!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here in S.C. they upped the gas taxes so they could fix the roads. Now the roads look worse than ever. My "towing nightmare" is having something come loose and kill somebody in another vehicle.
My wife's cousin (he introduced me to her) was killed when someone hauling a refrigerator, secured with clothesline, had it come loose and hit him on his motorcycle. It was the second time that jackwagon had caused a major accident while hauling a trailer. The first time, he paralyze a mother when the trailer he was towing came loose and struck the family. He didn't bother to hook up the safety chains because he was "only going a few miles". The judge sentenced him to 20 years in jail with a minimum 15 years served for killing my wife's cousin.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don't worry much about the OTR guys much. They are generally very professional. It's the "jack wagons" that scare me. I usually tow our tractor about 150 miles a week when it's not hunting season. I have learned to assume nothing when dealing with other drivers. We are hopefully going to have our barn/bug out location finished this summer and I can leave the tractor down there.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had a two year old 6000# nylon sling part on me Sunday. NOT in a worn spot either. Was useing the four wheeler to relocate(drag)some large locust posts. Hooked if on the tow ball and looped it around the post. Busted right at the loop pass through. Was on smooth road. When in doubt pitch that nylon.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Good info Cajun, thanks for posting it.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
330 Posts
Everything I was taught in H.R.S.T. Master course...high line rescue when a fireman...my fishing days on tuna boats...knots suck when line strength is paramount. That’s why u ONLY used certain knots on loads.

I always put a twist in my straps too. I can’t stand the singing!

I‘m that guy at HD or Lowe’s or COSTCo in the parking lots...whose ALWAYS..helping folks secure their loads. Normal people do not know lines, knots, tensioning..etc..
I'm a commercial beekeeper, secure loads day in day out, dozens of times a day, some days. Every time I get a new hire, I'll catch an hour or two in their first few days on the job, and give them rope tying lessons. Show them how to tie a Trucker's Hitch, let them tie it, they smile, tell them to do it again, they smile all over again, tell them to do it again, then I'll walk off and sit in the shade with a cool drink in hand, and tell them to keep tying it until I get tired of watching them. Somewhere along the way, they'll start getting cocky, and think they got this. At that point, I tell them to close their eyes and tie it. They usually look at me like, is he for real? Like they suspect I'm joking. And, then I tell them all the same thing. You frequently move bees in the dark, you have to be able to tie that knot in the dark, now close your eyes and tie the knot, until I get tired of watching you!

Had one former employee come back 15 years later, told me he thought I had lost my ever lovin mind when I told him to tie that knot with his eyes closed, then said, "but you know what... I can still to this day tie that knot in the dark. I use it all the time!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts