Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know if you shoot it then you clean your sidearm but I haven't fired my carry weapon for a while (S&W.40 Shield) and am about to give it a little tlc of cleaning and lubing. So how long will you let your carry gun go without cleaning. Dust, lint etc seems to find its way into a daily carried sidearm in field forest and city or it does into mine.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
I typically only really clean it after shooting, or if It was a particularly sweaty day. However I do keep a can of compressed air (like is used on PC fans & keybords), on my dresser where it spend the night, and I blow the dust bunnies out of it frequently. I use Q-tips on the sights at the same time.

Now my yard gun, well, it doesn't get cleaned near enough. Dust from mowing and stuff accumulates until I notice it, then the Bianchi nylon paddle holster goes in the dishwasher. Good reminder, it's due.

·
Super Moderator
26,012 Posts
Well, my answer is influenced somewhat by CV-19, in that I don't get to shoot as often as usual. I usually shoot weekly and clean and lube after. Now, once a month and rotate the mag every month.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Daily carry pistol, the Kimber micro 380. I give it a good wipe down and light oil once a week generally. just to keep the dust and lint out. when it gets use at the range, I clean it thoroughly when I get home. I try and keep it as clean as possible, but I do switch out different pistols from time to time and depending on how Im dressed.
All my stuff gets immediate cleaning after a range trip, and i keep all my stuff cleaned, oiled and ready to go for whatever the occasion may be.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
My guns get cleaned right at the range after my shooting session. After I get home I wait a couple of days for more fouling to leach out of the barrel and then I swab again. Make sure you aren't juicing it with too much oil if it is your carry gun because the oil can seep into your mag and contaminate your primers. You don't want that on a carry gun. Always use fresh ammo---shoot up old ammo and reload your carry mags with fresh stuff. Your life may depend on it.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
I'll usually give it a wipe down every week or so...more frequent if caught in rain or particularly sweaty day. If it's taken to the range, it gets cleaned immediately when I get home, just like the rest of the guns!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll usually give it a wipe down every week or so...more frequent if caught in rain or particularly sweaty day. If it's taken to the range, it gets cleaned immediately when I get home, just like the rest of the guns!
"What he said" for me. How often do you people shoot up your carry ammo and replace with fresh? How is this going to change given the ammo situation.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
My everyday gun gets a quick wipe at the end of the day and a better cleaning once a week if it gets shot or not. I have a few boxes of my favorite defense ammo, and reload to approximately the same specs for practice rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
My carry gun (Glock 30S) gets wiped down about once a week, but a thorough cleaning might only happen every six months or so. Don't see the need for more. I will generally only shoot 3-400 rounds between cleanings so it doesn't get terribly dirty.

My carry ammo gets used/replaced every year.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Almost never, (Glock 19X, S&W .380 EZ, Ruger Talo 1911 45 ACP and DW 15-2 .357 mag) wipe and go.

Reactions: JW/OK

·
Registered
39 Posts
The ones I carry or keep ready are treated like a hammer, drill, phone, belt, etc. They may get stripped and oiled once every 2 years. If they get shot or are nearby when I’m cleaning something I have shot I may wipe them down with a dirty oiled rag. Everything in the safe better look 100% spotless and better then new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Every time I take it to the range.

About 2 years ago I took a shooting course. We shot about 600 rounds a day for three days. Out of about 40 shooters, including the instructors, I was the only one who stuck around to clean my handgun at the end of the day.

I rather got the idea that the instructors, who would shoot 1000-2000 rounds a week would rarely clean their guns. I mean thousands and thousands of rounds between cleanings. They shot either Glocks or S&W M&Ps with complete reliability.

And I learned that if you're going to shoot that much, the rails and slide need to stay lubed if you don't want a stoppage....

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
621 Posts
cleaning the gun is not only a matter related to cleaning, but above all to the optimal functioning of the parts, and the only way to check their condition, the tightness of the screws, if any, etc._
it is like cleaning the motorcycle in detail: in practice it's a check-up.
if we transfer the concept to a self-defense carry gun, I don't think it's ever wasted time_

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Often. I want it inspection perfect, clean and oiled 24/7/365. I switch out the ammunition two or three times a year. Old Navy habit, I may need that handgun someday. If not, the owner and equipment is ready.
When I go to the No 10 saloon, I always sit with my back to the wall.

Reactions: wilecoyote

·
Registered
4 Posts
I EDC a G19. If I go to the range... which is usually at least 1x a month I’ll give it a field strip cleaning. If I don’t shoot it I’ll just wipe it down with some ballistol. Honestly with a Glock I feel this is overkill but I like cleaning my guns.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My GP100 357 SS----only when used......tehehe......the cylinder will develop burned on lines of carbonaceous material that will make it hard to insert or remove spent casings if you don't scrub the cylinder with a brush and solvent......I'm not as much a fan of barrel cleaning though...just like with my rifles.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts