Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

can anyone with a Zane Grey tell me how much it weighs and how this compares to a standard 336 or 375.

Is the octagon barrel heavier or lighter than the standard round one?

thanks,
Nigel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I never held a Zane Gray but I used to have a 336 Octogon which were said to have been made with leftover Zane Gray barrels. The octogon was more heavy than any other Marlin that I've ever held. I couldn't imagine carrying it hunting when the regular 336 is so much lighter.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Henry Bowman said:
I never held a Zane Gray but I used to have a 336 Octogon which were said to have been made with leftover Zane Gray barrels. The octogon was more heavy than any other Marlin that I've ever held. I couldn't imagine carrying it hunting when the regular 336 is so much lighter.
Henry,

Yeah, I found that to be true also........
The 30 CAL Octogons are quite heavy compared to the std 336's.........although, the 336's are usually a bit shorter, too. But the Octogon 30's DO hang and swing great offhand..........just a bit heaver for a days walk in the woods.

Now, when you compare the 45-70 Guide Gun to something like a 1895 LTD III or 1895 CBA (same 18.5" barrel lengths) the GG, with its round barrel will be heavier by a good amount.

I never cared for the GG, althought it IS a great thick brush hunting rifle. The LTD III and the CBA are just lighter and more pleasing to my eye........And everyone knows..........."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Kid Sopris said:
about 6 3/4 lbs for std. 336, approx 7 lbs for the ZG
6.12 Lbs for my CBA...........

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts