Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When Obummer got elected the First time I decided it was Time to Start Reloading Seriously.
Bought more Dies & a New Press, Powder, Primers, Molds & Bullets.
Decided I Needed to Have At Least 250 rounds of Loaded Ammo for Each of my Firearms.
Bought Some: 22LR, 22WRM ,9mm, 30-30, 308 & Whatever I could find at a Reasonable Price.
Reloaded Some: 357, 444, 30-30, 308 & Started Casting Boolits for the Center Fires.
Thought I was Good to Go. Then......The SOB goes & gets Re-Elected:ahhhhh:

Then I Decided that I needed at Least the Components "On Hand" to have 500rds Per Rifle & Pistol.
Spent a Lot of Time Cruising the Internet & Local Shops. Buying Brass Here & There.
Buying Powder, Primers & Lead when I could Afford them.
Well.... I'm Almost there. I Finally have all the brass I Need, Except for One Gun.
Can't Find Anymore .444Marlin. Just Bought the Last 20 cases I've Seen in a Looong Time, right here on M.O.
So, Y'all Keep an Eye Out, Won't Ya? Anyway I Do Have about 200 rounds of Ammo already Loaded 4 It.

Now Y'all Tell Me, How Much is enough? :hmmmm:

UncleSarge58

Reactions: 444GunSlinger2

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I don't know there's EVER ENUFF!?!??

MORE in my way of thinking...#!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I feel you will know how much will be enough when you get to that point. If you are in doubt then you need to keep stock piling. In a serious situation you would go through more than 250 rounds in just one day. I like to have a minimum of 1000 rounds for each caliber gun I have. I feel comfortable with that amount. I think it is a individual thing and he or she should decide that for himself.

Best of Luck and happy loading
Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aint That the Truth.
Almost forgot that I Still have to get some More 223 Ammo, Brass & Bullets.
Traded a .410 Bolt Action Slug Gun for a Mossberg SSi-1 Single Shot Varmint Rifle, the Day before I left Town 4 Work.
Been Outa State for 3 Months & Haven't even Shot it yet.
So far Ive Ordered 100rds Hornady Brass, 100 55gr BTHP Bullets, The Dies & a Mold 4 It.
Now I Need More MORE Stuff 4 it Too :vollkommenauf:
Hope I can Find Ammo 4 it when I get Back.
US58

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Im way behind then.... I only have 500 starline brass for the 45-70
a few hundred for the 35 Rem
Maybe 200 for the 7mm Mag
1000 for the 44 Mag

But I gots lots of lead, primers, powders and time!!! I dont need to have 1000's of loaded rifle rounds laying around.
Pistol rounds... now thats another story. Im behind on 45acp and 9mm but I pick it up when I can

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also Want Express My Sincere Gratitude & Thanks To All of You Marlin Owners for Helping me along.
Thanks Y'all :tee:

Happy Easter

UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
I have piles of brass but it never seems to satisfy my insatiable need for more. I have two lots coming in the mail as I type. 458 Winchester & 45/70. I'm about to push the "buy now" on some more 38 special. My range buddy has brought me thousands of fired 45 ACP brass. Probably the shortest supply I have is for the 45 Colt but what I do have will last my lifetime.

When I find a deal on brass I pull the trigger. Some people buy Starbucks coffee every day - me, I buy components and buying brass is the fun one for me. I'm good with powder & primers and Purdy much on bullets / boolits.

Never can have too much as Dan mentioned above!

1895gunner

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Dang Gunner, I wish I knew someone that would bring me 1000's of 45acp range brass!! you got a good friend there!!!

Doc

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Yeah you can never have enough for your guns.

.22 I'm all set for a long time.

BBs ditto, Pellets need a few thousand more only .177 but I'm getting them.

Now the way I changed my ideas of what I needed.

7mm/06 wildcats had 2 bolt actions in this cal one deer rifle with heavy tapered bbl. One target varmint with heavy varmint wgt bbl. 500 rds for each gun and enough components to reload them 4 times. I sold both guns and components, invested the money in some other needful things. So now I don't need 7mm anything.

38-55 336 Cowboy 24 inch octagon bbl. Peep sights and fire sight front. 700 rounds of brass all loaded with 250gn cast and all light loads. 250 rounds of 250gn Jacketed bullets made by member Stone Fence. All loaded. Sold gun and all components.

Bought a 30-30 and a lot of components with the money.

.357 1894 Cowboy 24 inch octagon bbl, peeps and firesight. 1200 rounds of ammo all loaded and 2000 158 gn Winchester bulk jacketed hollow points. 4000 small primers.
Sold it and bought more 30-30 and .32 Special components.

When I sold the .357 I decided I no longer needed a .35 Remington so that went also.

Now I'm down to only 2 cals I load for and more components than I believe I need for the rest of my life. I shot my last deer at over 300yds with the 30-30 and knew I was going to kill it with one shot.

I still have my .32 special which I will keep. I have now over 1500 rds of 30-30 loaded and enough components to load them several times. Can't think of a thing I can not kill with the two of them.

I do have 2 30-30s and am in the process of adding one more .32 special so I have a pair of each.

The .32s I have over 500 loaded and plenty of components to load them more. I have a 1000 rds of cast ordered for them. Plus the jacketed I have on hand.

I have 4 .22s two shotguns and a BB gun, pellet rifle with a pellet pistol on it's way. Need more ammo for the pellet guns. But that's available at WalMart in 250 round tins.

I want one more BB gun, and 24,000 more BBs.

My sling shot I can find ammo for by looking down. So now I'm lean on guns but flush on all things needed for them. Sometimes I make plans.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I'll be called a dirty rotten crazy hoarder if I list how much brass I have accumulated over the years. It hasn't been easy or cheap, and I've been doing it a long long time including bringing home coffee cans full from the range beginning years and years ago. I'm talking the 80s and early 90s. I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I've spent sorting and prepping and cleaning brass, but it has, at the very least, been hundreds. if not a thousand hours over the decades. It brings me great joy and peace. Like whittling for a reloader.

So my answer is ... you can never have enough brass. Worse yet, you'll need all of the reloading components to reload that brass at least ten times! ... and that's where you can become obsessed if you're not careful.

:flute:

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Had a good friend that died with over 20,000 rounds. He was happy when he passed away.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Hello everyone...my name is wally and I am a brassaholic...

not only do I have hundreds of cases for the calibers I own (thousands for the pistols) but I have a large number for calibers I not only dont own but have never owned.(dies to) All in the name of trade goods.

After tonight - only eleven more steps....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
When you fill up the ammo cabinet, just think "I need a spare cabinet just in case I run out of the first Cabinet." The spiral begins. Theres plenty of storage underground. Te He. :ahhhhh:

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
You need as much Brass as your paranoia will allow!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.