Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I settled on standard loads for most of the calibers I load for, I find I've been loading bigger and bigger batches. Monday is usually one of the days I always go to the range, but it's been raining since last night, so I stayed in today and loaded ammo. I usually load anywhere from 200-400 rounds per session, but since I had a lot of components on hand, I loaded a thousand 38's, a few hundred 44's, and some 7.7 Jap. And yes, I don't plan on doing this very often....my right arm is like jelly! :shock:

So when you load, are you usually limited by time, quantity of components, or do you quit after a set number?

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I have 6 primer tubes each large and small for the SDB, so generally I make 600 in a sitting and move on. Rifle ammo goes across the Pacific Super C and I will process the brass in batches then charge and seat bullets as I need them.

My record is 1,800 .45ACP, 600 .38 and 500 .357 in a day.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I dont do pistol rounds, just rifle. I also meticulously weigh out each charge, seat bullets within .001 or less.....wont even get into case prep stuff (though not crazy picky about some details).

So with all that considered I probably do a box within an hour or so and then quit for the session.

Typically, I decap, size, check length etc and recap....then the second stage is just weighing charges and seating bullets. Pretty much kept to 2 steps for sanity sake.

perferator

·
Registered
355 Posts
Most of the time it's 100-500 rounds for me, with the majority being 357 magnums.

I've been debating getting a Dillon 650 or something in the Dillon line close to that, but just haven't made the jump yet. This Rockchucker is wearing my arm out! LOL!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Perhaps 100 rounds (couple of boxes) unless of course I've been lazy ... then it might be 3-5 boxes. I use a Lyman 310 tool, aka Tong Tool. I load about 50 an hour after cleaning and inspecting. Slow, but then it seems to keep pace with my shooting ... besides I like being able to take the tool to the range, with my powder scale, powder trickler, Lee powder measures, some primers and a pound of powder and load some modifications of what I've been shooting. This is really easy with the Lyman 310 tool ... bought one, and a set of .38 special/.357 magnum dies for $53 on ebay ... This is a kick-back and relax sort of tool :D

Never in a hurry Hook686

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
You guys are hardcore!! :lol: I am a new reloader and use a Lee Turret. So far I don't load less than two boxes (40 rounds) at a time for the rifles. I did load 100 rounds for my .44 mag one Saturday afternoon and, like Papajohn, my right arm was like jelly. I shouldn't have bought that 100 round box. :wink: Guess I gotta get into reloading shape. :lol:

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
For my .308 Winchester I load in batches of 100 - 500 at a time. I do it in stages though, prep brass, size and prime one day, charge and seat on another. At the end there's quite a bit of .308 ammo ready for the range. Almost all of it is loaded for use in match shooting. Only load a little hunting ammo for the .308 every year. I shoot a fair amount of .308 every year.

All of my other cartridges are loaded in much smaller batches. Sometimes as few as 20 or 40.

FWIW, Guy

·
Registered
463 Posts
I do about 100 rounds for a match, then while I'm at it, I'll load 20-30 rounds for hunting or just plinking. Or sometimes I'll load 5 rounds just to test a load,( I live 6 mi from the range) , then use up my plinking rounds.
Then it starts all over again! Ain't life grand! :wink:

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also loading on a Lee Turret, have been for 20+ years. And like many of you, I process brass in stages, tumble it, deprime it, then take it to work in gallon freezer bags to reprime on an Auto-Prime while I'm stuck at the desk. Back at home, I drop powder and seat bullets in batches of 80, all my loading tray holds at once. I attached a piece of rubber tubing to my press, and the loaded rounds are dropped in to slide down and into a waiting ammo can. I average around 250 rounds an hour with pistol loads and .223, less with others. I insist on checking the powder charges in each round, or each tray, under a good light to make sure they're uniform. Nothing puts a crimp in your range session like getting a slug stuck in the bore! (It's also highly embarassing.) Since I adopted this system, I've had NO problems with my handloads. It's still a lot of work, but I typically shoot 400+ rounds of pistol ammo per trip. Can you tell I have no life? But I sure do get to shoot a lot, and I'm a MUCH better shooter than I used to be!

Papajohn

·
Registered
184 Posts
I m still fairly new to the reloading game but really enjoy it.
I have dies for 38/357 and for the 45-70 so far, and generally do
batches of between 20 - 50 at a time. At this stage, I am still
being very meticulous and weighing every charge, and using a
single stage RCBS press, so I am slow, but trying to be very consistent.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is only Wednesday and have loaded 500 rounds of 45 colt so far. Have 350 rounds for the 444 Marlin sized sitting there. Have 500 rounds of 45 ACP sitting in the tumbler now. It is a busy week, had a real good shooting session with 5 others Saturday. I do 200 - 300 at a session with the progressive press, 100 at a time with the single stage. And this includes casting, sizing, lubing the lead bullets.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a single stage Lee and usuallload 40 rounds at a time .Between clening,prepping and loading about 4 hours of straight workclean andprep one day and load the next.Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I load between 20-100 rounds every time. If it's for the 45-70 I might only do 20 rounds, but for pistol cartridges I usually bump that up to 100 rounds per session. I have a couple of Lee single stage presses sitting side by side and just take my time. Sunday afternoons are a good time to find me reloading. I'll have the NASCAR race on the TV in the garage for background noise. Beats the heck out of meditation as a means to relax and regroup.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Depends on a number of factors, including available time, the type of powder I’m using (ball/flake/extruded), the purpose of the loads and, of course, the quantity of components on hand.

For handgun cartridges I use only ball powder (or until I run out of Clays for the .45ACP, flake powder) and tend to load 200-300 at a time. This isn’t much of a problem because the ball powder meters so consistently. With extruded powders I hand-weigh each and every charge to within +/- 0.0g on the PACT scale and will generally run 50-100 at a time. Plinker hardcast loads for the .45-70 use ball powder and I generally run 200 at a time.

Hunting loads may get loaded 50 at a time because that’s the quantity in many bullet boxes.

Development loads generally get between 18 to about 36 loads with 3-4 at each powder charge.

When I’m just exploring what a powder and bullet combination will do velocity-wise I may load as few as 10 or less, with one cartridge at each powder charge. This was the case with several bullets for the .45-70 and has been true for other calibers as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmmm....

It looks like I go over the top here...

Once I have a load that I like, I'll sit down and load 200-500 at one time. I run all my reloading in 'batches'. I'll decap 500-1000 brass at one time. I'll sit in front of the TV and prime the same amount at one time. I'll bell them another time, etc...

Once I'm ready to load, it's the whole works at one shot. The last time I did .44 mag, I reloaded a full box of cast-500rounds, plus some oddball jacketed rounds ~100 more.

I run things like a factory more than anything! LOL!

When in load development I'll load about 5-10 rounds at each level and vary the levels about two weights either way, so the minimum is 25 rounds for one set of round development. I'll chrony all of them, looking for consistency and choose the 'best' for deviation and group size. Then go into a large quantity of loading so I don't have to do it again for a while! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends if I'm loading rifle or handgun ammo. All my loading is done on an old Pacific "C" style single stage press. For rifle ammo, (.270, 300 Savage, 338 Win Mag, 35 Whelen and 45-70) I check case length and trim if needed, prime with a Lee Auto-Prime and weigh all my charges. If I load 100 or so rounds in an evening or on a Saturday, I feel like I've accomplished something.
For handgun, (45 Colt and .357 mag), I use the same press, the only difference is an RCBS Little Dandy pistol measure for the powder. 200-300 rounds at a time is about my limit. Casting the pistol bullets, sizing and gas checking is what takes the time.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been stocking components all winter, the spring bowling pin "Open Season" is getting close, and I'm getting ready. I have 1500+ pieces of 40SW brass cleaned and reprimed, ready to go. Plus another 500 30-30 ready to load. By the end of the day my right arm will be like a limp noodle, but I'm going to load it all today. I order so much stuff from Midway my UPS driver and I are on a first-name basis. The order that came last week was so big, he jokingly made ME unload it off the truck. And I dropped another two bills on powder and primers this week, so I'm all set. By the end of the day, I'll have so many full ammo cans, the floor joists will be groaning. I love this time of year!

Papajohn the Glutton

G

·
Normally when I'm working up loads I might load 30 for a rifle but they are in groups of 3 or ten different loads. And since I generally take 5 or 6 rifles to the range at once , it works out to 150-180 rounds a session plus fouling loads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts