Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last post got me thinking about how many rounds is a gun good for not hot loads just normal hunting loads or plinking loads. I know about how many I got through mine and some say I.m wrong and a barrel is only good for about 4- 5000 rounds and I.m past that

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'd say a lot of it depends on how hot your ammo is. When I first started reloading it was for a 264 Mag. From what I've heard the 264 is pretty rough on barrels. But I wasn't loading it near max either as I was more concerned with accuracy rather than velocity.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
It also depends on caliber as 44-40 Willy said. if you have a .22 you will have a hell of hard time to wear it out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you're shooting cast bullets, and using a colder burning powder, I'm not sure you would ever wear a barrel out. I've got a friend that won't use certain powders(especially Blue Dot) because they burn "too hot". He has been shooting the same Marlin 336 since 1970. He says he has never shot a jacketed bullet through it, and has never used anything except a patch and jag to clean the barrel. The bore looks new.

I've not had any trouble with Blue Dot, but I wasn't shooting several thousand rounds a month either. He claims he once got a gun so hot shooting Blue Dot loads it screwed up the heat-treat on the gun. I still have a hard time imagining this, but he hasn't lied about anything else, so I'll take his word for it.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've used a lot of Blue Dot in the past with no problems. It used to be my go to powder for shotguns and 41 Magnum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts