Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds due you shoot getting ready for
Hunting season.
I know yrs Ago hunting with all my uncles we would all go down into the big field on the farm .we had this big old oak tree on the far side. That's were we
Posted our targets. And we all shot up any ammo we had left over from the yr. Before. Maybe half a box or so.
I shoot a lot more than that.now. and I have more than just one 30/30.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Wouldn't you want to wait until the temperature and conditions were more closely aligned with what you would be shooting in?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I always make one last trip to the range within a few weeks or less of opening day.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont shoot to get ready for hunting season but shoot at least once a week all year long. And from hunting postions. Shooting from the bench except for sighting in doesn't do anything for you. I live 6 miles from my cabin which I go to every day and shoot at rocks and such from hunting positions. That I shoot at the cabin when I get there

·
Registered
79 Posts
depends on what gun im shooting. when i pick up my savage 99 it feels like an extension of my body. i instinctivly know where to point it. what the trigger feels like. 2 rounds down range and i feel like i can drop anything at 100 yards. with my 7400 i usually go to my range and put 3 rounds through it 3-4 times a week before i go hunting. it just takes me a while to get rid of the inital flinch. i feel like i jerk the trigger the first few rounds. so i just get comfortable with it again. but i shoot firearms year round. rifles. handguns. carbines. so im always in that shooter mentality. i think once you get comfortable with a firearm and occasionally shoot it then you'll probably be a good shot no matter what.

i can pick up any of my handguns and shoot man size targets at 100 yards all day even if i havent shot them in months. but i think thats just the sheer round counts i have through them. its all muscle memory and mentality.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I generally shoot several times a month. Leading up to hunting season I usually shoot enough from each gun I plan to use to make sure they are still zeroed. Some guns I may only fire a round or two to verify zero, others may be several dozen rounds as I sight in new scopes or adjust sights for new loads or test new handloads out. I've shot a lot more 35 Rem this year getting new handloads ready and a fair bit of 44 Mag prepping new sights for the 1894 Basket Case. Between those two it has probably been 50 to 60 rounds in the last month. That wouldn't include a fair bit of pistol shooting or .22's.

Since I mostly hunt the areas around my house I actually shoot less during the hunting season to keep from disturbing the game so much.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
I generally shoot several times a month. Leading up to hunting season I usually shoot enough from each gun I plan to use to make sure they are still zeroed. Some guns I may only fire a round or two to verify zero, others may be several dozen rounds as I sight in new scopes or adjust sights for new loads or test new handloads out. I've shot a lot more 35 Rem this year getting new handloads ready and a fair bit of 44 Mag prepping new sights for the 1894 Basket Case. Between those two it has probably been 50 to 60 rounds in the last month. That wouldn't include a fair bit of pistol shooting or .22's.

Since I mostly hunt the areas around my house I actually shoot less during the hunting season to keep from disturbing the game so much.
I know everyone says to avoid disturbing game by not shooting around where you hunt.
But the funny thing is the gun range i go to has deer all around it while the range is live.
Never have seen them run off at the sound. Of course this is near the worlds largest ammo plant so they have probably gotten used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
I know everyone says to avoid disturbing game by not shooting around where you hunt.
But the funny thing is the gun range i go to has deer all around it while the range is live.
Never have seen them run off at the sound. Of course this is near the worlds largest ammo plant so they have probably gotten used to it.
I have had deer walk on to the range while we were shooting. I think its more the smell and activity of hunters in the woods that gets them nerved up than the noise. I reload also, so I shoot regularly. Reloading does not save me any money, I shoot it up.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Same at my range. We've had to wait for deer and turkeys to mosey off the range. Then they stand at the edges and stare at us.

I shoot all year long. The last trip before the season is to fire off a couple hunting rounds and get a little fouling in the barrel.

We do a little 22 shooting at deer camp at squirrels in the off deer season and the fall turkey season precedes deer season.

Gun shots don't appear to disturb them as much as things like dogs barking and the rut. My wife got buck fever and clipped an antler on the 8pt on my wall. She stood up and told me to shoot it. He stood there until I got a neck shot on him!

Who knows why they do what they do.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
726 Posts
I shoot from spring to the end of hunting season. I mostly shoot 444 (my hunting rifle) and 22 but shoot a fair amount of other stuff including various pistols and revolvers and a little shotgun and muzzle loader. I mostly concentrate on the 444 as my hunter and a bit on the muzzle loader but it is the same gun as the 444 just a different barrel (TC Encore) so there is little, if any, transition. I never count but I'll guess that I shoot around 1000 rounds a year. Probably more if 22 is available but I'm down to my last thousand 22s.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
MidBigWest, You anywhere close to Lake City, by any chance. I live here in Sedalia, less than 5 miles from both Sierra and Starline. I just know where to settle down. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
I shoot year round, .22 rimfires up through the big stuff. A few thousand rounds a year all told. It varies year to year.

Towards hunting season, I do spend more time with the hunting rifles and less with the target rifles & handguns.

Like DiggerJake posted, almost all of my shooting is done from field type positions: prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, sometimes using my pack or a pair of crossed sticks as a rest. I rarely use a bench, except to check accuracy of a load/rifle/scope combo. Sometimes I'll go a long, long time without using a benchrest. Years...

One of the most fun range toys I've got is a hanging steel target. I'll set that up at 200 or 300 yards and go through 50 rifle rounds:
10 prone
10 sitting
10 kneeling
20 standing

Do that once a week for a month or two and the field accuracy goes way up! I can do pretty much the same thing at 50 yards with a much smaller hanging steel dinger, and my .22 Marlin39A.

Shoot more. It's good for ya! :biggrin:

Guy

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
MidBigWest, You anywhere close to Lake City, by any chance. I live here in Sedalia, less than 5 miles from both Sierra and Starline. I just know where to settle down. Take care, John.
Lake City is the range I go to. There is supposed to be a really good one down by you.
Where we live is why i can hardly understand not finding ammo?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
MidBigWest, I am a member of the Sedalia Rod and Gun Club and we do have a very nice range. We have a shotgun range, pistol range and rifle ranges one is out to 3-500 yards. Should you ever get over my way let me know and we shall hit the range,m that goes for any fellow MO folks. Y'all take care, John.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I have had deer walk on to the range while we were shooting. I think its more the smell and activity of hunters in the woods that gets them nerved up than the noise. I reload also, so I shoot regularly. Reloading does not save me any money, I shoot it up.
Deer and other animals wander on our range even in the exact area where you have your target placed! We get bears there but I have only seen 'signs' of them when I was at the range. I did not see one looking at our targets!

WMFG

Side note to the OP:

My husband shoots year round using most (99%) of his firearms. He does not shoot his sweet 12 gauge shotgun that much.

Hunting season?

He ALWAYS takes his lever action rifles and his bolt action rifle to the range before hunting season starts. He checks out ALL of his favorite loads and he has everything ready to go even though he shoots them year round. (He has a BIT of factory ammunition too. He has been reloading for 40 years. Almost everything that he shoots is reloaded ammunition. He no longer reloads for various shotguns in a few gauges. He quit that a long time ago and he only owns one shotgun in a 12 gauge. He told me that HIS reloads are far more accurate than most quality - name brand ammunition too.)

He hunts the most using 3 calibers and 3 rifles. One bolt action in 30-06 and two MADE IN CT Marlin lever action rifles in 30-30 and 45-70. He mainly hunts elk and deer. He does not hunt bear. He has not drawn a buffalo or moose tag out here.

Most of the hunters that are not regular shooters (HIGH or medium volume guys/gals.) year round... are very conservative with their ammunition in CF and RF ammunition and even with their shotgun shells. Most of these hunters go to the range a week or two before hunting season starts. They do not shoot a lot and they usually have some ammunition left over from the year before. MM and other guys told me that and I have seen it at our Montana range too. I saw that at my former Sportsman's Club in my former state too. You see men and women in stores right before hunting season out here too. Some of them were astounded when they could not find what they wanted and needed in the last 2 plus years out here and across the country with some of these 'shortages'. I wrote about it here and elsewhere. It was on our local news and national news. It was all over the WWWeb too.

You should plan on what you need and want NOW and not wait until a week or so before hunting season starts. Some people aka some HUNTERS, not year round shooters who saw ALL OF THIS GO ON, got screwed with finding what they needed for their one or two hunting rifles even out here in Montana during these stupid times. Other shooters/hunters WARNED them about what was going on and they did NOT believe them or take it to heart. So when they got their butts down to the stores - they could not find what they wanted all over this state or ONLINE either. That was on our news and elsewhere too. Heck, some man wanted to help a fellow close friend who ONLY HUNTED and shot guns during hunting season and he was going to reload a few cartridges for him but he could NOT find the reloading bullets and so forth to help his buddy out. True story.

Cate

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
IT DEPENDS ON YOUR RIFLE & YOUR SHOOTING SKILLS! i sometimes shoot 1 round about a month before season starts. if it's still on, i put her back up. if i feel like shooting more, i find a crow! ammo stays good for many years if kept in a good environment. just sayin... cate, i will meet you somewhere in the middle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts