Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up today. I have never seen one before. Ever.

Got to talking to a buddy on the way home and he pulled out his Brophy book.

Turns out it is a one year run. 1973. Made less than 1400.

It is an 1894 Sporter in 44 mag.

But someone whittled the stock down!!

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
There was one for sale here a little while back.The fella wanted $750 for it.
I wish now I had bought it.Only one I had ever seen as well.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not a 44 shooter so I probably wont keep this one for long. It was too unique to leave on the rack tho.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
That is neat in a way. What makes it special is the carving on the stock is done with some talent. Of course also the fact that there were not that many made is also special. Someone could always replace the stock if they could not deal with that one. Someone had a lot of time on their hands and not much going on. Must have been before the internet.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Great rare gun and a piece of one of a kind Folk art to go with it.
Sometimes what a purist shakes his head at makes the gun much more valuable to some else.
If you were able to track it to the original artist and get a back story might be worth your while to do so.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I sold a nice one on gunbroker last year, it brought around $800.00..Wish I had it back.

Reactions: Joe S.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
very unique looking rifle

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
I am not a 44 shooter so I probably wont keep this one for long. It was too unique to leave on the rack tho.
I'm not much of a 44 shooter either just because my revolvers are 38 and 357 and that is what I have in my carbines. I'm also a bit of a purist and dislike personal embellishments some people add to firearms. With all that said, I would have a very difficult time letting the above rifle go despite making a profit. I don't know why, but I'm drawn to that rifle with stock and all.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Beautiful carving on that butt stock! :top:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Very unique

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Reluctantly, I have to agree with Golfin... It brings tears to my eyes when somebody hacks up a beautiful piece of wood, or scratches names in receiver metal . In your case, similar to engraving, at least they had a design planned and layed out, with talent enough to carry it out with some degree of finesse.
Nice find. If offered here, I am sure you'd find a buyer at a fair price.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I wood
pun intended
give you what you paid for it
+1
pun intended

·
Registered
319 Posts
Neat gun. If it were mine, I'd start looking for a replacement stock. The 'value' of that stock stayed with the man who either did the work or paid to have it done IMHO.

Bob

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I almost bought a 1894 sported model last year but changed my mind on the rifle because it had the old style ejector spring.

Chocdog

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I almost bought a 1894 sported model last year but changed my mind on the rifle because it had the old style ejector spring.

Chocdog
And that's a consideration if you want to use those older models for shooters, not hangers. That's what this one is, a user gun, any collector value has gone with the carving, no matter how skillfully done. A replacement stock won't restore it, either, it's not original to the gun.

I saw the Sporter barrels listed at Numrich at one time, used, I figured what sort of ballistic improvement could be had from the extra inches and passed. That was before using the current econo-1894 in heavy brush, the longer barrel would just get hung up worse.

But if someone sees one at a good price, you might grab it if it floats your boat, they aren't making any more. Just be aware that at least one critical part has spotty availability at best. You might end up with a single shot at some point.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey Joe,

Swell looking .44!

You may become a .44 shooter soon! LOL (a .44 caliber carbine is a load of fun, and quite handy on venison critters)

Later, Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts