Marlin Firearms Forum banner

How many grains of Unique would be a good starting load for this . . .

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  jgriffin1988 
#1 ·
Picked up this vintage Marlin at a local garage sale, still in the original box!

Text Font Soap Label Metal

Text Font T-shirt Textile Beige

Text Label Font Technology Electric blue

Need a suggested starting load for Unique for this little Marlin.

:biggrin:

B

See less See more
#2 ·
Finally figured out how to load this little Marlin - still pinching myself, it's as nice as the day it left the factory -

Text Font Logo Label

Once I get a good starting load I'll have to work on using the sight picture, it's adjustable -

Standard -

Clamp Wheel

Or Buckhorn -

Always a good day when you stumble across a classic Marlin -

Electronic device

:biggrin:

B

#4 ·
Brian -- STOP!! Don't let that thing touch your skin. It will peel your face off!! I tried one once when I was a kid and ended up looking like the Invisible Man. Wore a beard for the next 28 years!! Then I looked like Charlie Manson!! I could send you a good straight razor, they're safer!! Best regards. Wind

#5 ·
Actually Wind, I'm guess I'm just a little old fashioned and it works for me. The razor (1955 Gillette Super Speed) was my Grandfathers and I've been using it daily for years.

I am going to have to try out one of the Marlin blades "just because".

I'll let you know if I survive.

B

#8 ·
Yup, old school Marlin.

B

#7 ·
Hey there Brian -- The one I tried was about the same vintage and was my dad's. I could barely get the bleeding under control! You might check in with marlinman93 as he may still have a lifetime supply of the Marlin blades left and may want to part with!! I'll bet he has Marlin bandaids to go with them too!!! Best regards. Wind

#9 · (Edited)
Sharp looking Marlin you pickup. At a gun show a friend bought marlin made axes.

Reactions: bbri4570
#10 ·
#20 ·
Good crown and I've had a lot of luck with 10 grains of Unique as well. Sage advice.

B

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah an ax would be a safer instrument than those old double edge blades. When I was 16 or 17 Y/O I was up state in the hunter mountain area with the same friend who bought the Marlin ax in the gun show. I was getting ready to hit the bars and maybe hook up with one of the young ladies but I needed to shave. I looked in my bag, no razor so my friend lend me his. This was the first time I ever use one and the last.
I went out with a half a dozen bandages on my face and the girls laughed at me all evening.
T:( NY

#16 ·
I was looking at Brophy's book Marlin Firearms the other day. There are pictures of Marlin Baby Carriages!

#17 ·
What caliber would those be? They've gotta be hyphenated.

#21 ·
I've gotten better shaves with the double edge safety razor than any of the modern razors out there currently!!
Me too. Best shave ever. Maybe a small nick once a year when I let the blade get dull.

B

Reactions: Wet Dog
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.