Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Iv noticed lately with my 336 that my barrel is getting really hot after only a few rounds. I shot 2 tubes through it today (14 rounds) and it was way too hot to touch. Much less hold onto. I am shooting my own hand loads with cast bullets that are loaded with lighter charges just for plinking. I haven't noticed the barrel getting that hot with factory ammo but its been a while since iv shot anything but handloads through it. Do any of yall notice how fast you barrels get hot? I wasn't speed shooting it but I was running it fairly fast.

Reactions: jmarriott

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not sure if my barrel has ever gotten too hot to hold. I am a kinda 5 shot guy, since that is what we shoot in the cowboy silhouette matches. Shoot 5, wait 2 min, shoot 5 more, and then most times your done shooting for 10-15 mn while setting targets and changing stations.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Really depends on the powder. I've found that some faster powders burn HOT. In pistols, TiteGroup really gets my barrels burning. Especially in 32Mag. I don't vary or download rifle powders, so I don't have a ready example there.

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
I have made it a habit when going rifle shooting, to take 2 rifles and set up 2 targets. When at the bench, I am never in a hurry to shoot. I take 5 well aimed shots from 1 rifle, than use the 2nd rifle, 5 well aimed shots. This gives the barrels time to cool. I have always taken a backup rifle hunting so this works for me, knowing the second rifle is sighted in.

It's like having 2 dates for the Prom. :flute: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
As you were shooting cast bullets and the barrel became too hot handle, I strongly suggest that you check the bore for leading and scrupulously clean it.

Rapid fire either with cast or jacketed bullets will heat up a barrel and very quickly if you are not careful.

I am 5 and 10 shot group bench shooter and usually time the shooting to 2-3 minutes between rounds. If the barrel starts to heat up, I will add more time in between. Barrel heat is detrimental to accuracy and can cause leading and copper fouling. Also, direct sunlight can increase barrel temperature.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Depends on how sultry you talk while you caress it I suppose - but then, with them new Rems, they just may be cold as steel at heart.....

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
I have not noticed shooting 30-30 rounds or even .35 as with the cost and the lever action most times I have been more focused on aim and don't shoot many in a short time. I can say that I have a AR that shoots 223 and as they are cheaper and it is hard to stop pulling the trigger the barrel gets HOT! I am guessing that if you pop off 14 rounds in short order the barrel should get hot out of a 336 Marlin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will do that. If a bullet was a tad too big bore would you see pressure signs? All my brass looks perfect. The only thing that's suspicious is the hot barrel

As you were shooting cast bullets and the barrel became too hot handle, I strongly suggest that you check the bore for leading and scrupulously clean it.

Rapid fire either with cast or jacketed bullets will heat up a barrel and very quickly if you are not careful.

I am 5 and 10 shot group bench shooter and usually time the shooting to 2-3 minutes between rounds. If the barrel starts to heat up, I will add more time in between. Barrel heat is detrimental to accuracy and can cause leading and copper fouling. Also, direct sunlight can increase barrel temperature.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I will do that. If a bullet was a tad too big bore would you see pressure signs? All my brass looks perfect. The only thing that's suspicious is the hot barrel
It's not bullet friction that's heating up your barrel so fast, but rather the scorching hot gases from the powder burning down your barrel. Some heat is generated from the friction of the bullet, but very little. I take at least a half dozen firearms to the range and I never shoot more than 5 shots before letting cool. By the time the next rifle is in rotation, the first one is cold.

One time I fire lapped a 7x57 Win model 70 fwt and a deviated quite a bit from the instructions. Instead of using a middle road load recommended by Tubb, I used Blue Dot. There was a formula involved and I'm not going to go into great detail unless someone wants it in a PM. Anyway, the reason for pistol powder was to keep the heat, velocity, and fouling to a minimum while having enough pressure to seal the bore. It worked like a charm and my skinny fwt barrel felt cool after 10 shots compared to 3 shots of factory fodder.

I guarantee that your 14 shots without a break is the cause of your barrel heating up. It might be fun to do but it's not conductive to good accuracy if you're trying to sight in or shoot MOA groups, but I bet it's good enough to stop 14 terrorists.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm also a 5 shot silhouette shooter and you have 5 shots wait 2 mins then 5 more shots.
Then it depends on how many people are competing before you shoot again.
I haven't noticed all that much heat.

Now my AK47 gets HOT! it gets so hot that it has burned/melted it's carry case
when the rifle actually touched it!
That's a lot more rounds than I shoot in my lever actions.
all jacketed ammo so it's not leading up. I've seen AK47's catch on fire from
being too hot. Needless to say I do not shoot my guns like that. But they do get mighty hot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
c.t.smith
I have a micro grooved barrel and I have found .311 works well in my gun as well. I believe my bore was .310 dia.

bassetman
I bet that's it too. I guess Im just paranoid about my loads doing something weird. It looks cool shooting all those rounds like in the movies, but I guess you really cant do that and not get a smoking hot barrel lol. I guess one benefit to a hot barrel is you can always roast marshmallows over it while the smokes settling :biggrin:

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
445 Posts
Howdy all,

Iv noticed lately with my 336 that my barrel is getting really hot after only a few rounds. I shot 2 tubes through it today (14 rounds) and it was way too hot to touch. Much less hold onto. I am shooting my own hand loads with cast bullets that are loaded with lighter charges just for plinking. I haven't noticed the barrel getting that hot with factory ammo but its been a while since iv shot anything but handloads through it. Do any of yall notice how fast you barrels get hot? I wasn't speed shooting it but I was running it fairly fast.
if you are shooting it like the Rifleman did,, ya, it will get hot.. 42,000 lbs. of chamber pressure is gonna get hot if you run them through one after another.. take your time,, it should only take one shot to bring them down anyway.. :flute:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Leverguns like the Marlin/Winchester, if shot fast (like in Urban Defense Rifle classes, prolonged shooting in a Pancho Villa style revolution, ha) can get hot really quick and even "cook off" a chambered round. For what you are doing, all the advice given so far should help cool down your barrel. I was working up loads for a 22-250 Ackley, and a couple powders I started with really heated up my barrel. I had to wait quite awhile between shots ( which I normally do anyhow) On a whim, I tried VV N140 and it shot super cool. Good luck to you Pard.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
When I go out to shoot I always bring 4 rifles. Never shoot any faster than one round a minute. Any center fire you should shoot one round and leave the action open for at least 3 minutes.

I like to shoot a lot and take at least two .22s with me, and two center fires.

The .22s yeah I shoot them way faster than any center fire but I take the time for a good aim because I use the .22s for offhand practice.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've found that after 5 rounds or so my 336 barrel starts to get hot and begins stringing. I take my 336 35 Rem. to rifle action shoots; most others shoot M-16 clones. Yeah, I don't win, but it is fun. Oddly enough, I don't always loose. Anyways, after running 30 some odd rounds through the gun in around 2 minutes the barrel is wicked hot. I try to leave my rifle in an open case with the action open for a while, but that is against range safety rules.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well being a guy that has shot hundred of thousands of rounds off, was a big class 3 guy for yrs and yrs\
and have even shot barrels off things(while testing to see how long it would take)

a barrel gets hoT after the frist round, and heat just builds from there, if you don't allow time to cool!
things that can cause it to get hot faster is, how fast between shots you shoot, how hot the loads are, bullet types, powder types, air temp of where your at, and so on
most centerfire rifle's today, heat will climb for sure if you shoot 14 rounds in a row off
a worn out barrel will heat up just about as fast as a brand new barrel, due to its like others have said, not all about friction heating it up
its pressures and powder burn rates and friction
best thing to do is take time between shots
Hand guns now tend to be able to take a LOT more rounds before getting very hot, due to lower speeds, alot of there powders don't even burn in there barrels, and the fact there smaller barrels can even cool faster

we did a test once running a 9mm UZI and a .223 M-16, going mag for mag(all 30 rnd mags) as fast as we could load them at teh same time(granted teh uzi seemed to run out faster, shorter cycle times)
and that 223 barrel was glowing red before the Uzi was ever too hot to handle
and the Uzi could keep going when the .223 was either stop, or would have had a major failure on us again!
also, the rifling in the .223 was GONE and the 9mm's still looked fine!
again this was a test to see what and how would happen
don't recommend folks do this, or shoot guns till there glowing hot!

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 'new' 336w got pretty hot all 4 times I've fired it. But I haven;t shot rifles in years, so I was getting used to the new kickin'. I fired 21 rounds in maybe 15 minutes, and it got- hot. I noticed it was really too hot to touch so I switched to my pistols. Fired about 14 more after it cooled, and that was enough. I did the same all 4 trips to the range so far, but gotta say- there was hardly any fouling in the barrel. I was really kinda surprised. I didn;t use a copper cleaner- just Hoppe's #9, on a brush wrapped with a patch. Ran it thru about 3 times and it was basically clean- so I wet another with Mil-pro 7 oil and ran it thru a few more times- a teeny bit of black came out but not much- ran a dry one thru a couple times, they came out clean. But a question- should I get copper cleaner too? I only use Hoppes #9 and Mil-pro Bore gel on my pistols- never used a copper remover., and my stainless pistol barrels are shiny when I'm done.

Reactions: Finzwake

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's going to take a lot to get that copper fouled. Maybe if the speeds were
increased on the ammo the copper would melt. But I rarely get enough
copper buildup to worry about it and that is in My AK's.
You have to shoot a lot to get buildup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.