Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a used but hardly used 1894 .357, the action was still tight so I have been racking the lever a couple hundred times a day for about a week now, in hopes of
of breaking it in and making it smoother.
Well, Truth be told....
( it's driving my wife nuts), but the action has finally got nice and smooth, now it's become an obsession to just rack the action, ( this has got to be the most fun-est gun I ever got and I have not even shot it yet) I can hardly wait to shoot it.
Anyhow, back to my question, how long before I wear something out by cycling it every day?
Should I have my wife take it away from me and lock it up before I break it or wear something out?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
If you shoot ammo within specs or factory ammo you probably won't wear it out neither will your kids or their kids.. Shoot and enjoy it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wait till you actually shoot the stupid thing, then it might just be the funnest gun you ever shot too.

They can really eat the ammo.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The only part that will show any ill effects from wear is the bottom of the carrier when the lever makes contact. Eventually this gets to the point that the carrier won't rise enough and you will get the "Marlin Jam" or "letting in two". If/when it wears this much the carrier can be replaced or built back up. This is a common problem with Marlins but it will take a long time before you should be concerned with it. Keep the gun well lubricated.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
If it is taken care of well, I'd say there is no way to know.

There are some beautiful examples made in 1894 still shooting and not ready to stop.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the Tootsie Pop commercial where the kid asks the wise old owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

He says, "Let's find out."

You could keep it up and we could all find out, OR now that it is behaving more smoothly you could stop racking and just start shooting your new gun normally with the nicely broken in action. There is no need for smoothing the action anymore and like most mechanical things, rifles do wear out. Why not wear it out in its intended purpose - shooting? Oh, and you will stop driving your wife nuts. ;D

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a vintage 1902 model Marlin 94 in 38-40 and so far al lI had to do is replace the ejector.Bore is nothing to brag about though.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
I don't think you'll ever wear it out......................but your eyesight may begin to fail........ ;D

Seriously, now that you've smoothed it out.........strip it down, and thoroughly clean and oil it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
My early nineteen hundreds model in 25-20 was shot enough to wear the rifling out of the original bore, but the action is still in fine shape. It's my favorite plinkin' gun.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I lost an 1894 44 magnum out of a sadddle scabbard...d*** horse went crazy bucking in tall grass...gun was recovered a year later. I had it re-blued and cut to 16.5...carried it on my saddle for another 25 years...it came out to be cleaned and oiled or shot. Only problem I had was the magazine tube worked loose and had to be tightened up. I gave to the "least favorite" step son when I bought my first Cowboy rifle in 44...he traded it off and got a royal reaming in the deal. (One of his many screw ups; let's not discuss his various sins here.) I don't know the number of rounds through it, but a lot of coyotes and feral dogs messing with the calves became landfill...I really liked that little cannon and will probably duplicate it in the near future if I can find a suitable project gun.

Short answer: If you don't encounter the dreaded "marlin jam," roughly forever. If you don't reload, you can't afford enough ammo to wear it out!

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you just keep racking it, it's a pretty good bet the bore will never wear out. Ever. (Unless somebody sneaks in and starts shooting a few rounds through it every night).

You have to reload for it. Oh....and shoot those reloads. (:)D))

I agree with the others: you can pass that rifle on down through the generations and leave your grandkids wondering, "When is this thing ever going to wear out?".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts