Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a lot of ammo, and I cast and load it all myself. After years of using a Lubesizer and Lee Liquid Alox I have now switched to powder coating them. The process isn't as fast, but the trade off makes it worth it for me. Initially I was only going to powder coat the cast ammo for my rifles(.45-70, .44 Mag, and .357 Mag) but I've been so pleased with the results I'm now powder coating everything I shoot. This process is humidity sensitive, so I do it all in the kitchen. I like the convenience of being able to work it in the house. This also allows me to do a batch or two here and there when I have the free time. The coated bullets pile up quickly this way.

I haven't pioneered this process, but they guys who did have explored about every angle there is to it. I went with the simplest approach, the shake and bake method, and it works great for me.

Different grade plastics conduct static electricity differently. The #5 plastic is considered the best conductor. Cool Whip tubs are made from #5, so that is what I use. The black airsoft BBs from Walmart are also considered the best, so I layer the bottom of the tub with a small amount. Then I add about two dozen bullets depending on the size.

I then add a teaspoon of Harbor Freight red powder coat paint to the tub. The Harbor Freight red is the only color they make that works well with the shake and bake method. Other sources online sell a wide variety of colors that work very well, but they do cost a little more. This stuff lasts so well I would have no problem spending the extra money for a variety of colors.

I swirl it around for about a minute (thirty seconds is probably the reality of it), and then I shake it up and down vigorously several times. If done properly the bullets will have a nice even coating.

Then I pour them over a mesh screen which allows most of the BBs to fall through while catching the bullets. This speeds up the slowest part of the process.

I've tried various methods for placing the bullets on the baking pan, but a nitrile glove with a bit of powder rubbed on the index and thumb works the fastest. The light coating on the gloves prevents the powder from coming off the bullets. I grab them by the nose and start lining them up on a baking pan lined with non-stick foil. You can get a good number of bullets on the pan, just don't let them touch.

Then I put them in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for fifteen minutes. I found a used toaster oven at Goodwill for six bucks. Works like a charm.

Fifteen minutes later and they are ready to use.

They can be sized after being coated without damaging the coating at all.

Here are a few that have been recovered after having been shot. The coating works superbly.

Zero leading, no lube build up in my dies or in my firearms, increased velocity, no clouds of smoke, et

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
still trying this after reading your other post. I finally got some that were ok using black. tomorrow I have to go to town and I am going to get the air soft pellets.
I have been using regular BB's. mainly I want to color code power levels. I never seem to have my glasses when I get into the shop.with my old eyes I can't read my labels even as I write them. this way I will do it by color!
thanks Scott for posting this process.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Scott,

I take it your are single? My wife really likes to shoot but if I started "baking" cast bullets in the kitchen I wouldn't have anything left to sit on. Your bullets look good, I am getting ready to jump into PC myself.

BB

Reactions: NYJarhead

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My concern is there anything that could be abrasive in the powder coating material?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DO NOT use the black powder from Harbor Freight. It has a rather aggressive grit to it. I tried it and could never get it to coat well. After discovering how gritty it is I'm going to melt my little batch of .45s back down. The Harbor Freight red is the best powder they make for the shake and bake method.

My red bullets are super slick. I'm not concerned in the least about them harming my barrels. Afterall, they aren't those old fashioned jacketed bullets!

Been happily married for going on fourteen years. And I've only been married one time. Combined it makes me a rarity among my police brethren.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ray, not being a smart a// but I would like a certain amount of abrasive down my Remlins bore. just forward the leade the grooves look like a washboard, I got one of those cheap endoscopes and check the bore after every session. am thinking of getting some fire lapping boolits for it. the trouble is the thing shoots so good I am scared to do anything to it. it usually shoots 1 big hole at fifty yards. actually better then my jm's

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
scott, thanks for the heads up! guess I will have to use the black on fishing weights or something.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
DeerstalkerT: I've seen a some badly machined barrels that shoot very, very well. "Well" as in 1 MOA for 5+ consecutive shots at 100 yards. Also seen good barrels loose their gilt edge accuracy by a Shooter trying to lap the barrel into a better shooter as well as a mediocre or poor shooting barrel made into what should be only used for a goat stake.

If it was my rifle, I would leave it alone! Who cares how it looks as long as it shoots and you are satisfied with the groups. Am apprehensive 'bout these firing lapping kits, how much is too little and how much is too much? In fact, whenever a Shooter mentions fire lapping or other types of barrel enhancements I always think of what the Old Timer said about stewed prunes: "Is three enough, but five too many?"....

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Well now very interesting!

I do not cast, but do have an idea that i'm sure someone will try before long!

There is no need for the lube grooves now. How about a mold with no grooves which should ad more bearing surface between the bullet and bore?

Just a thought? Better accuracy? A better grip....as good as jacketed?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Lever Addict I was thinking the same thing.....a big LBT profile ( Piledriver/Tombstone ) with no lube grooves and no gas check... :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
An excellent 'primer' on the subject of powder coating !!

Much gras.

I've been fooling with this all summer and having good results.

Lots of good info on castboolits.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is the BEST writeup I have seen on powder coating bullets ............. concise and to the point ......... thanks Scott!

It was your original post on powder coating that caused me to begin to research the process, now I have gathered all of the necessary items, just waiting on a cooler day to cast a few boolits and try it out.

I think this post should become a sticky.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yup this is on my try list for the winter as i have enough aloxed ready to load to last me through till it gets cold(Not far off im afraid).

Has anyone tried a Tumble lube design yet? just curious how that turns out I dont see why it would not work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This is the BEST writeup I have seen on powder coating bullets ............. concise and to the point ......... thanks Scott!

It was your original post on powder coating that caused me to begin to research the process, now I have gathered all of the necessary items, just waiting on a cooler day to cast a few boolits and try it out.

I think this post should become a sticky.

That is a very nice compliment. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You are thinking like me Ray. this particular rifle shoots so well that I am going to leave it alone. as long as the speed bumps in the grooves don't lead up they are there to stay. this rifle shoots consistently 1.25 inches at one hundred and close to 3/4 inch at fifty if I am an my game. it's easy for me to be off my game as I have MS and shooting and reloading are the greatest passions of my life left that I can do. (hope my wife doesn't read that)lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts