Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a guy who is handy with tools can change out the lever himself, or if there is something complicated about a swap out, say from a curved lever to straight, or back?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Changing a lever is very possible for a diy project. Switching from std to large loop is often just a straight drop in. Switching between pistol grip and straight is a simple parts swap as well, you just need more than the new lever. You need a new bottom tang, and a new stock. Its basically just a parts swap with sometimes very minor fitting required depending on the particular gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ... the bottom tang... would that be just a swap out part (bolting to the receiver I presume) to match a straight stock instead of a curved piece for a curved stock then? Is that it - the lever, the tang, and of course the new stock?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Changing levers is a 30 second chore. Converting a straight stock to curved stock or vice versa is a simple project. However easiest way is to purchase the desired lower trigger guard / tang, stock, and the desired lever. Install and enjoy. Threads on here that will walk you through the process

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
See if you can get all the parts first as Marlin parts are not as easy to find now. It may take some time for you to gather up everything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The existing buttstock is cracked and the original one gone so looking at options... the gun is no longer fully original so I have some room for experimenting.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The 1895 Lever is different than the 336.
There a area carved out to allow for the large case rims of 45-70, 444...
A 95 lever will work in a 336 but you may have difficulty the other way around.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I believe I have seen on this site where a lower tang was ground to straight and the lever straightened. I'm a bit leary of the method used to straighten the lever but it appeared to work in the tutorial. It looked like the stock is just wood working. I believe the project was a Marauder look a like. Sorry but I don't remember.

Probably easier but much more expensive to buy and change parts.

I just found it !!!

Look in the reference library under Do-it-yourself gun smithing then look under pistol grip to straight then look at the top two posts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Is the consensus that the 336 stocks will work on the 1895?
Yes, they will work. Only difference is the lever on the 1895 has a cutout to allow for the larger casing. If you buy an aftermarket lever from someone like RPP they all have the extra material removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts