Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
See, you are looking at things all wrong. It's not how far I have to drive, it's YES, I am going fishing. Everything else, is just a mere obstacles between me and FISHING.
Forgot my lures, the last worm got stole, no problem. As long as an empty hook is in the water, I'm FISHING! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to an hour and a half depending on if I want to fish the local creek or go to a dam about an hour away OR at least once a year we head up to the Northern Territory and go chasing Barramundi and that is a 3 day trip 1 way and a round trip of 6500klms.
A trip to the coast is about 3 1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMG_0956 (2).JPG The wife and I quit driving to lakes to fish. We have several good fishing lakes close by but a couple incidents with the water cops put a bad taste in our mouths. Once we pulled into a place and got our boat ready only to be checked for safety then when we put our boat in and returned after parking the trailer, another couple water cops checked us out. By the time everybody quit screwing with us, I only had enough time to pull the boat back out of the water and drive home so I wouldn't be late going to work. Another time we were stopped by a water cop for creating a wake between bridges while I was going 2 mph and got passed by a pontoon boat at the same time. So what? The idiot in the pontoon boat gets a free pass and I get hung? To heck with the harassments', I built my own get away fishing pond and we can catch all the bass and hand size sun fish we want. We do however still like to wade the streams with our fly rods for trout or small mouth. I sold our boats so that ended our Muskie fishing, which we loved so much. Still, it's nice to sit at the cabin ,eat at the grill and watch the horses in the pasture while we catch dinner. It's even a place where I can don my scuba tank and go play with the fish. " It just don't get any better then this" !

·
Registered
548 Posts
I woke up this morning after my post yesterday saying I lived 3 miles to the Gulf of Maine. Early morning news's stated a women was killed by a shark off Hopewell Maine. It look's to be a Great White shark. I believe it's the first death by a shark in recorded history. Great White's are moving up from Cape Cod searching for seal's. There were several witnesse's in kayak's who helped pull her out of the water. Please send prayer's to the poor women's family!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If I were to fish I would walk 40 yards to the end of my dock. Bass, crappier sunfish etc. However I have no patience. My wife tells me that if I was a child I would be diagnosed with attention deficit and force fed drugs. LOL. My fish usually comes from the market. I do enjoy being at the end of the dock and watching the sunset while having a whiskey. Even then my wife laughs because I have my camera and am up and down taking pictures.

Padraig

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
One thing (among MANY) that I do NOT like about this new software is the elimination of state location (assuming the member posted that in their profile). In this thread, members have responded with such things as “I’m 1/2 hour from native trout” or something similar. Sure would be nice to know the state.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
One thing (among MANY) that I do NOT like about this new software is the elimination of state location (assuming the member posted that in their profile). In this thread, members have responded with such things as “I’m 1/2 hour from native trout” or something similar. Sure would be nice to know the state.
I 100% agree. If it helps, I am on Chautauqua Lake in far Western New York. About as far from New York City as you can get and still be in the State.

Padraig

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Judson, if you put the arrow on the persons name, it lists the State and posting history. You are from Ohio as is Paraman173. Been an interesting discussion. Several of you live close to lakes and streams.

DEP

·
Registered
33 Posts
I take fishing fairly casually where I live as I have at least 4 lakes within a 10 mile drive. I can go out in the morning and fish for a few hours and come back with with no big problem. Boats are on trailers and I just hook up the night before and go out in the morning. I talked to a gentleman at a landing one time who was from Missouri who had to drive a couple of hours just to get to the lake. My father had to drive about an hour or so to fish. He bought a resort in MN and of course then we lived on a lake. See a few postings where I expect fishing is a whole day affair and wonder what others have to do to enjoy it. Probably something I take for granted.

DEP
I walk across the road, 150 yds through the woods and field and I am at the Androscoggin River. Great smallmoth bass and some big pike. For trout I have to drive a few miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I take fishing fairly casually where I live as I have at least 4 lakes within a 10 mile drive. I can go out in the morning and fish for a few hours and come back with with no big problem. Boats are on trailers and I just hook up the night before and go out in the morning. I talked to a gentleman at a landing one time who was from Missouri who had to drive a couple of hours just to get to the lake. My father had to drive about an hour or so to fish. He bought a resort in MN and of course then we lived on a lake. See a few postings where I expect fishing is a whole day affair and wonder what others have to do to enjoy it. Probably something I take for granted.

DEP
I just go down back to the stream 200 yards away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
8-10 minutes from my favorite wade fishing spot on Galveston Bay. Caught many a speckled trout and redfish there.

·
Registered
3 Posts

DEP
Depending on how I want to fish, there are two small lakes within 30 minutes drives, there are 5 streams within 5 to 10 minutes, there is one within 100 yards of where I live. The problem is getting time to go. There not a lot of public stream access to the streams in this area. And that is restrictive to many seniors and physically challenged persons going.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
20 mi I can be on three lakes, Buchanan, Iks,LBJ.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live right by the Potomac, so I could be on the water in a few minutes if I had a kayak. Maybe I'll get one this year. I usually drive 1.5 hours to the Blue Ridge to fly fish for trout or smallmouth.

·
Registered
247 Posts
150y walk from the front door to stream through town that holds fish. If I'm at the farm then 2 miles of nice trout stream flowing through it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have 24 square miles of Lake Sinclair at my front door.

Reactions: Maineiac
21 - 40 of 44 Posts