Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take fishing fairly casually where I live as I have at least 4 lakes within a 10 mile drive. I can go out in the morning and fish for a few hours and come back with with no big problem. Boats are on trailers and I just hook up the night before and go out in the morning. I talked to a gentleman at a landing one time who was from Missouri who had to drive a couple of hours just to get to the lake. My father had to drive about an hour or so to fish. He bought a resort in MN and of course then we lived on a lake. See a few postings where I expect fishing is a whole day affair and wonder what others have to do to enjoy it. Probably something I take for granted.

DEP

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Lake Michigan is 30 minutes from home with numerous small, 400 acres or less, lakes within 10 minutes.
My vacation place in SC to, the lake, is measured in yards.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Fifteen minutes over to Burden Lake or five minutes walking across the field to Kinderhook creek. There's a great farm pond that isn't accessible anymore because city people bought the land around it. And the Hudson is 20-25 minutes away.

·
Super Moderator
11,669 Posts
For offshore fishing we go to St. Augustine which is about an hour away. Otherwise this area is surrounded by brackish creeks and rivers so you don't have to travel far to get a line wet. Actually looking at property now and having a hard time finding something that isn't in a flood zone.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
I’m within walking distance of several farm ponds. About 5 miles north or south puts me in a good small mouth stream. About 20mi East is the Ohio. When you get past 5 miles the opportunities are endless. Within 40 mile there are more rivers, streams and lakes that I could list. I have noticed that the pressure on good fishing is small. The bulk of the people go to the big lakes where they can play with big motors. We have several good lakes with HP limits of 10hp and pressure on them is lighter all the time.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
There are a number of small lakes on Fort Mc Coy and two of them are 10 minutes away. I fish them in a Grumman Sport Boat and a small trolling motor. My favorite Fort Mc Coy lakes, at the northern end of the post, are a 25 minute drive. The same 25 minute drive takes me to La Crosse and access to the Black and Mississippi rivers. A little larger boat (16' 6" Lowe) follows me there. That same rig goes 3 or 4 hours north to either the Chippewa Flowage or Tomahawk area 3 or 4 times a summer. Tough being retired!!

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Am about a mile and a half from the Columbia River, which is open seasonally for salmon & steelhead. About 5 miles from a tributary, the much smaller Wenatchee River. It too is typically only open seasonally for salmon and steelhead. Used to be a great steelhead fishery, perhaps that will happen again.

Lakes... Several within 30 - 60 minutes drive time. Good fishing at most. Trout up higher, some bass ponds & such lower.

Normally I wade-fish with my fly rod, but for the past year I've been using the 12' kayak too:

Guy

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't drive too far. I'm not a fisherman. Dunno' just never got into it.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If I want to fish for anything good, it's 660 miles.

Dayton, Ohio to Harkers Island, NC. I keep everything I need down there, ready at a moment's notice.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
In SW Ohio I am close to places to fish, but I don’t fish much close to home (primarily bluegill/largemouth bass/catfish available locally). I trout fish in WV at least twice a year, and try to get to Canada at least every other year (for smallmouth, walleye, and pike). Leaving for WY for trout in 10 days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my dream house on the lake about 5 years ago. I am very blessed and take time everyday to enjoy the view and often thank God for allowing me to raise my daughters here. Tonight my oldest girl swam while I got the fly rod out for the first time in a couple years. We caught a few minnows but didn’t leave the dock skunked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
Surf Perch, Corvina, and Grunion this summer from the surf I can see from my window.
Lake Bass and planted trout 1/2 hours drive.
An hour drive to place I can hike and fly fish natve trout.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts