Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my Pop’s a limited run Remington 7600 carbine back in 2004’. He heart shot a buck the first year with it. It was a load a cooked up with a 180 grain Speer Hot core pushing 2350 FPS. It ran a good 60 yards before expiring. The exit hole was close to a golf ball diameter with an OK blood trail. Last year I used his gun with the same load. I shot two deer with it. First one was a doe on a trot close to a 100 yards and I didn’t lead far enough on her. I hit the last 3” to 4” of one lungs and completely grenaded the liver. It ran a good 20 yards went about 10 yards straight up the hill and mad a U turn and stopped directly 20 yards above where I shot it and drooped. A few minutes later the two doe that were with it and ran away came back with a descent 8 pointer following them. The buck was walking away up hill at approx 140 yards when I pulled the trigger. He made it about three steps and fell over. He kicked a little and that was it for him. Blood everywhere. I hit him in front of the last couple of ribs and out the neck. Both lungs and heart exploded. You can see blood on the leaves in the background to the right. This is where it dropped after the shot.

I figured I’d have some fun and cast up some hollow points for my 336 and try it out this year. I have them casted up with a BH of 10.4 and are shooting all in the same hole at 100 yards loaded at 2100 FPS. It should make some big entrance and exit holes for a quicker recovery I’m thinking. I talked to a few posters over a castboolits forum who have been using the same alloy and a similar hollow point bullet out of their 35 rems. Most said deer only take a few steps with the combo and lights out.

I only have witnessed three deer harvested with a 35 Remington to date. It this common to see them run a little after the shot or do most go down like hit with Thor’s hammer? All I know is I’m getting pumped to try out my cast hollow point On some thin skinned game. The same alloy and a hollow point bullet held up good on the water and dirt back stop testing I did at a little slower velocity in my 44 mag rifle. I can tell you the deer I’ve shot with the 180 grain Speer has torn them up pretty good. I don’t mind loosing a little meat and seeing a deer drop on on tracks...or close to it. Hoping my cast hollow point will dump enough energy at and under a 100 yards to act similar to what I’m use to with a 180 grain core loct Out of my 06’. What are your deer hunting experience and how far have they traveled after the shot with the 35 Remington and how were the blood trails?

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
I’ve killed quite a few deer with 35 Rem. I have always used 200gr RNSP, factory dupe loads. Most of mine shot under 100yds. They weren’t all bang flop but I never had to track one. Of course it’s up to you to provide a good hit. When I was a kid I shot a little fork that was in small bunch. About 50yds stationary. Classic shot, killed fork in its tracks, bullet exited and hit a doe right in the guts. It knocked her down and she was flopping violently and bleating. I ran up and shot her in the head to shut her up. Bullet also exited doe. I’m glad I didn’t hit anymore deer. I’ve got 358 bullet molds but never used 35s for target guns, so stick with Hornady 200 RN.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I try for heart-lung shots with my Marlin 336 SC .35. They usually go down from 0 to 30 yards, but the last one went 100 yards with a bullet that turned on entry and went through the liver. He bled out mostly internally with very few specks on the leaves. It took a while to track him. I took about eight in a few years with mostly short or no tracking. I hunt the Virginia woods and hills and try to put them down. Most shots leave two holes and a good blood trail. The only rifle that does that better for me is my 1895 45-70.

Nice deer Tripplebeards and very nice shots, especially on the buck.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
All the deer I have hit with the 35 Rem of have been DRT. Last one went straight down after being hit by a 35 Rem single shot rifle---used a very healthy dose of LVR under a Hornady 200 gr SP Interlock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I shot a 9pt with the 200gr leverevolution last year. Ran about 15 yards. Blood everywhere. Very impressed with that bullet in the 35rem

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shot several bucks in the high shoulder... dead right there. Hogs the same with a shot just behind the ear. Shot my biggest buck ever last year. He was facing me and turned a little to the left and gave me a shoulder shot. He hit the ground at the crack of the rifle. Then just as quick was back up on his feet but went down again in 30 yrds. Shot was about 45 yrds with a Sierra 200 gr RN over H335 You'll Love Your 35!

·
Registered
755 Posts
My experience with my 336 - .35 Rem - using 200 gr Remington factory loads or the Hornady Leverevolution factory load - (can't remember the grains of that load right now) - but have never had a deer go more than 10 yards - internal organ damage is extreme if you put it into the right spot - and the one deer I shot into the shoulder broke both shoulders and the deer went no where. Really like to shoot the .35. (Wouldn't mind a 760 in .35 if I could find one, either. I'm sure I could find room in the safe!)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
With about any cartridge, about the time you think you have "Thor's Hammer" it seems one will fool you and take off like a scalded cat and run 100 yards or so. 4 out of 5 deer from my 35 went down but were hit in such a manner that I would expect that. One was a smaller one hit through the lungs that ran a short distance but was easy to find. Seems like deer hit on a field will run farther than those in the woods as they want to make cover. But when they do they tend to drop on the edge. Had some long runs for them to make cover. IN my 50 some years of deer hunting I have shot them with quite a few different cartridges and generally I have found that with a typical lung shot, the cartridges don't differ all that much. That is talking about reasonable cartridges for deer and not small ones or magnums. One of my favorites is the 303 British, but the rifle is not all that great for carry. 35 works well and the LE's work real well for me.
your cast bullets sound like good ones. I shot a deer with a cast bullet out of my 303 that was on the edge of a field and almost dropped on the spot, but had to walk about 15 feet to get into a stand of brush before it dropped. I saw intestine sticking out the off side and thought I gut shot it, but it was just the angle of the hit. Deer was dead when it dropped. That was with a 208 grain cast bullet that was probably close in alloy to what you are using. The damage was impressive.

Commented on this before, but my son's friend came home from the service with a Barret chambered in 50BMG, as it the Madeuce cartridge. His brother made a soft point for it. They made a You Tube video called 50 cal deer. A large doe came out on the field and they lung shot it with the big 50. It ran about 70 yards but did not make it off the field. Claimed it had a "foot ball" sized exit hole. Here we expect our puny 35's and magnums to do better.

DEP

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've shot (3) deer with my 336. First was a doe that ran up to the base of my ladder stand in 2005. She stopped 10 feet from the stand, I shot and she sidestepped about 12 feet and fell over. This was with a hand loaded 200 grain Sierra Gameking that my grandfather loaded before he passed away in 1999. The second was a young buck that was running with two does. He crossed in front of my stand 30 yards out. I shot him with a handloaded 200 grain Remington Core-lokt and a medium charge of Varget. He completed a front flip and didn't move when he landed, this was in 2007 or 2008. In 2018 I shot one of my best bucks to date with the same handloaded Core-lokt. When I seen the buck he was doing the "sneak trot" had his nose to the ground but trotting. I was able to stop him with loud bleat sound and shot. He was aound 70 yards out. When I shot him, he acted as if he wasn't hit and trotted for about 40 yards from my right to my left. he then took a right and faced away from me entering a thick cut over. He went about 25 yards in the cut over and fell over dead. I did have a entrance and exit hole, but both were roughly the same size and not much blood. I figured his lack of reaction to the shot is he had other things on him mind (Nov. rut). This deer is my current avatar. All (3) deer were shot in the lungs. The second deer was hit in the back half of his lungs and entered the gut area, but did not bust anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In regards to the 50 BMG I had close to a football Sized hole through and through on a Pronghorn shot my 300 RUM. I loaded it with a 125 grain Nosler ballistic tip close to 4000 FP. It was about a 200 yard Shot. The Pronghorn was lifted off the ground with the shot and slammed to the ground DRT. I found the copper core on the offside hide and the lead was gone. Still have it somewhere. I don’t use that load anymore needless to say. I’ve also had the same size...and bigger holes with a 375 RUM using a 260 grain Accubond on whitetails. I shot them with a 375 RUM along with a 3000 FPS Accubond load. All deer ran a good 100 yards with daylight seen through the holes before dropping. Heart and lung shots. I learned after the Accubond and using it two different Calibers (tried 180’s in my 30-06 and deer would stand there like they weren’t even shot with heart and lung shots...it was like shooting them with a field point and an arrow). I had 100 yard runners 5 times in a row with accubonds loaded from 2700 to 3000 fps. I won't use accubonds anymore needless to say. Both batches of bullets I used I bought the first year they came out. Maybe they use softer alloy and thinner jackets now? Don’t know, don’t care. Even with the big holes I zero blood trails as well. Worst bullet I’ve ever used on thin skinned game. They do work great on hard boned hogs. Over the years and tons of bullet testings on deer I found that softer bullets that fragment and dump most their energy in an animal kill way quicker than a hard bullet that zips right through.

·
Registered
282 Posts
JES Reboring did my 35/30-30 in win m94(1972) last year. i did a 200gr fn gc(rcbs) with 2400/tuft of dacron and it goes 1726fps. i have shot one doe with it. she was 20ish yards away and sort of broadside. after the shot, she trotted(wasn't a run) about 20-25 yards and then she fell over. the shot was a double lung(behind the shoulder) and it was about 15bhn(lyman #2 and a smidge of tin).

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
All the deer I have hit with the 35 Rem of have been DRT. Last one went straight down after being hit by a 35 Rem single shot rifle---used a very healthy dose of LVR under a Hornady 200 gr SP Interlock.
35 Rem and deer= DRT :)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
How far do they travel?

Depends upon how far from home you are. They travel back with you....

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My personal experience is I've had more DRT with the 35 than any other caliber I've used. HOWEVER, I have to state that I didn't start using the 35 until after I moved from Pennsylvania to Missouri. What's the difference? Hunting pressure. In PA, hunting pressure is much greater, deer drives are very common and deer are just more on edge than here in MO. Point is, the tenseness or fright level of the deer when you shoot is a huge factor. Have a deer being pushed in front of other hunters, feeling panicked and totally keyed up, make a perfect shot and it still may easily run 100+ yards. Shoot that exact same deer as it casually feeds into a shooting lane totally undisturbed and odds are high it will go down in it's tracks or only run a few yards.

I hunted most of my life in PA with a 30.06 and had exactly one DRT deer with it and that one was a neck shot. A 30 to 100 yards run was typical and I'm talking perfect shot placement. Here in MO hunting with the 35, every deer I've shot was relaxed. Many DRT's even a couple with bad hits. Shot one just forward of the hips accidentally and even it didn't go two steps. Have had a couple run 30-50ish yards. For a long time I thought it was the 35 was just in a sweet spot for speed and velocity that is just really effective and I still believe that's a big part of it but I can't discount the deers level of alertness as a factor.

·
Registered
709 Posts
slightly out of tread, but... similar to what was observed during the First World War: humans hit by snipers while at rest, or almost, often died of heart stop before of the wound, while soldiers in adrenaline, on the attack, could sustain very serious injuries before collapsing...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The 270 with the handloads I used was very destructive. 35 Rem does not come close as it has less hydrostatic shock. I have shot deer in the woods that went down with a lung shot. Those on fields are the ones that would run a ways. The one I had run with the 35R was in a little clearing and made it to cover.

Biggest surprise I had with a critter running was a jack rabbit I hit with my 222. I shot and saw it take off in my scope and turned to the guy with me and said at least I came close. He said you sure did. I looked back and it was down and kicking. Pace out the distance and it was 280 steps to the blood spray on the snow. Paced out about another 60 steps or so and there it was laying. The far rib cage was almost gone and I could not believe a rabbit had that much blood in him. Generally when hit they would just roll over. That one was a tough one. My brother in law loved the 6.5 Swede. First 3 or 4 deer he shot with it went down on the spot. He thought he had something real special with it. Bragged about how it really put them down. Then he started getting runners.

DEP

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The last one I shot with my 44mag went 35 miles with a double lung shot.
All the way to processing.😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts