Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
:dito:

and one step farther... take the toothbrush, cut the bristles length in half, shortening them. It "stiffens" them up a good bit. and makes it a bit easier to really get in and scrub with minimal effort, and still wont hurt the wood. (added benefit is that the short bristles don't fling chemical as far when you scrub.)

Also works really good with acid brushes.. cut the bristles down at least half the length, works great for really getting gunk out of hard to get to spots, especially in actions.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
What do you use for this?
just call Stanley!! lol

seriously, I’ve used a pot of water on the stove boiling, hold the stock over it.. gloves are helpful

·
Registered
72 Posts
I refinished the stock on this old Remington. I stripped the original finish off with Acetone. Holding the stock above a pan of Acetone and applying it with a cheap paint brush ....... the factory finish literally ran off into the pan within minutes.

The Acetone evaporates so quickly that it never really soaks into the wood. The stock was absolutely stripped of all the factory finish in minutes.

Before and after photo's ..........

Finished

And stripped

This procedure would work wonderful on a checkered stock, the finish just runs off.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I'm going to refinish a JM CB with checkered wood and would like to know what tricks you guys do to accomplish this with checkering. First thing I thought of was https://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-17-oz-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripper-ECG73807/100164441
On the checkering you can use the stripper and just use a small child tooth brush to clean the finish out of the checkering. Just stroke it along the lines and it cleans it out without ruining the checkering. Steel wool or any metal brush will round off the diamonds on the checkering. I then rinse off the wood with lacquer thinner post stripping using a small soft paint brush to scrub the stock. Restored many old stocks with checkering this way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Or...if the checkering is in good shape tape it off and leave it alone. Refinish the rest. If you refinish the checkering there's a good chance you'll need to dress up the checkering. If you need to dress up the checkering you'll need a set of checkering tools. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.