Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Craig's list often has gun safes listed. Don't know what part of Ohio you are in, but there are several in your price range listed in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati area.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I lock all but one firearm, which stays out with me, in steel safe's. Only my wife and myself have the combination to the main safe which holds keys to the other two safe's I own. You may not like what I tell you, but never, ever give access to a girlfriend. In your situation only you should have that privilege.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I bought a Cannon safe years ago. I flooded durinG Harvey. Called Cannon to replace the guts. They have a flood, fire , break in warranty. Short story........they sent me a new safe free of charge!! Plus I kept the old one......

Also, I disable bolt guns by removing the bolts and storing elsewhere.

Papalote

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
I lock all but one firearm, which stays out with me, in steel safe's. Only my wife and myself have the combination to the main safe which holds keys to the other two safe's I own. You may not like what I tell you, but never, ever give access to a girlfriend. In your situation only you should have that privilege.
I agree wholeheartedly with mam444 in this case...and the others as far as gettin' a safe! Buy what you can afford, even if it's used or at the very least have a trigger lock on each and every one of them!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Temporary answer while you work things out is to rent a small storage locker for a few months, until you finalize long term plans and decisions!

With folks you are not absolutely sure about; it pays to take the slow and cautious approach! Good luck!
CJ

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
My suggestion is to look at one of the Homak steel gun cabinets because although they are not fire proof they provide ample room for both rifles and pistols and are not super heavy where you need 4 guys to lift it. They are secure enough to withstand 30 min of sledge hammer attack and easy to move if you had to move it to another house.

·
Registered
651 Posts
$500 isn't going to buy you much. Cheaper ones don't have fire rating. Even if the live in doesn't work, you need a gun safe. Mine is Liberty. Browning really stands behind theirs.
Why would you consider only $500 when probably everyone of your firearms individually is worth that? I am sure you have other things in your house hold that would be better in a safe also.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
"With folks you are not absolutely sure about; it pays to take the slow and cautious approach! "
--Cascade Jinx

BINGO! BINGO! And I'll add go very slow and very cautious

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That situation a safe is your only option. And share the combination with nobody.
Agree with the above ... and if you can afford it ... buy a safe big enough to put the other safe into ...

I would not have any gun accessible to anyone who is not trained or been brought up with guns in the house and knows what they are all about. Bolts out, Bolts in, ammo put up, trigger locks, cables and locks, wooden cabinets, cheap thin metal gun boxes all are no deterrent to a curious and determined individual. Add in any kind or level of emotional disorder and one is just asking for really bad things to happen.

Money spent on a safe is money well invested ... they can be moved ...

And after the fact ... like I have told my kids and grand kids for years ... "I'm sorry don't fix it".

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
My safe is fire rated. I keep some important documents as well as one set of data backups in it. Safes keep out little kids and that is about it. Anybody who lives in the house will be able to get into it eventually. The combo is usually someplace in the house or can be guessed by people close to you. Most of the of pad type locks show wear and dirt on the keys overtime giving away most of the combo.

I my case, I have metal working tools available. I can take apart any safe in a very short time with them. if I can, somebody else can too. Even so, my stuff is better protected than not having a safe.

·
Premium Member
15,321 Posts
Okay, guys any recommendations on a safe? I have 9 long guns and several handguns. I have looked at the Winchester ones, but I am sketchy about buying a safe a gun and ammo company makes. My max would be about $500. My expenses will be going up so looking for the cheapest, yet best value.
Winchester doesn't actually make the safes, they are made by an independent company that pays a licensing fee to use the Winchester name

I have one that my wife gave me as a Fathers day present a few years ago and it is a decent safe for the money, if you buy them on sale at tractor supply

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The main idea of any safe or storage cabinet is to delay access to any unauthorized person trying to get into it. The bigger, the heavier, the better the safe, the longer it will take to get into it. Hopefully, it will be enough trouble, that the unauthorized will either not attempt to get in, or will find it to be too much trouble and give up. This will usually deter a casual thief, such as one seeking drug money.

A very determined thief will figure a way to take the safe away and open it at their leisure. The best discouragement to this is to bolt the safe to the floor, the wall, or both. This will also make it more difficult to tip the safe over to use pry bars on the door. It's harder to pry the door open with the safe upright.

With a troubled youngster in the house, most acts will be impulsive, and it may be enough just to delay access for a while. If the youngster/teen is shown to be violent, hateful, and/or determined to be hurtful, all fire arms must be removed from the home early in the process. Do not trust any safe, cabinet, lock box, or trigger lock. Get the guns out. Ammo too.

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well everyone will be pleased to know the GF and I had a conversation last night about firearms in the house. Apparently the kids do not know she has her two firearms and no idea I have firearms either. She purchased her parents home when they retired and said last night, this is where my dads wood cabinet used to be. I told her I am leaving everything but my EDC gun with my mother because I do not trust the kids. She mentioned buying a safe and bolting it to the floor and I just told her I would be more comfortable with leaving them with my Mother. I asked her not to tell the kids I have a EDC gun and it will be locked in a small safe when I go to bed and when I leave and do not take it with me it will go into the safe and into the attic.

My reasoning behind a cheaper safe is I really do not have extra money to purchase a $500 safe let alone a $1000 safe. Yes, I have one firearm that exceeds the cost of $500 and some around the $400-500 mark, but all I was looking for was to keep kids out of them. If a fire happens my firearms would be the last thing on my mind to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
If you are on a budget I would look for a used safe on craigslist, facebook marketplace etc. My girlfriend has a small safe that came out of a jewelry store that she got for almost nothing. It is made from thick plate steel and weighs around a thousand pounds but is much better than any of that imported junk you find at the big box stores.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts