Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I asked this on another forum and it turned into several people wanting to play psychiatrist. Anyways.. I am moving in with my girlfriend and she has a son who has anger issues and maybe slight autistic. Good kid and I don't think anything would happen but his sister who comes to visit has made comments when asked if she wished to shoot a crossbow if she could shoot someone with it or point it at them and if she couldn't she didn't want to shoot the bow. Her mom took it as a joke. So here is my dilemma. I currently have a wood and glass cabinet that is very sentimental and its always just been me and no kids to worry about. I have played with the idea of getting a cable chain and locking all the rifles together and buying a handgun vault to keep those put up. I can lock my pump guns and rifles but I have an O/U and several 22lr and an 1895 that I have no idea how I would lock up unless its got a small cable gun lock or trigger lock. A family member in LE said just trigger lock them and pull the bolts, trigger lock them and leave locked in the wood cabinet, but then someone else brought up that even if the firearms are not fully assembled the kid still could get into trouble with them. What would you guys do in my situation? I am not sure how this whole living with her and her son is going to work so I don't want to buy an actual safe until I am 100% this is going to work. I can leave the long guns with a family member but that entails going to their house when I want to shoot or hunt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with old greybeard. You really need a safe in this situation. I'd say if you have more than 5 guns you should really have a safe. If you absolutely cannot get one for whatever reason, then putting trigger locks on all of them and pulling the bolts like you mentioned is your next best option.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
As stated already, get a safe and share the combination with no one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That situation a safe is your only option. And share the combination with nobody.
GF has a CCW handgun and target handgun and the kids know about them and hasn't had issue. I trust the GF with the combo, so at least she can properly lock her stuff up. She has them in a large multi gun case with cable locks and the case is hidden in a box full of junk and old clothes. She doesn't see an issue but I do. I wouldn't mind a safe, but when I was younger my mom saved up and had someone make this cabinet for me so I don't want to get rid of it. I am still on the fence with living with the GF, but my brother who I was living with and I cannot get along so I am leaving and she could use help with bills. If 6 months or so goes by and GF and I get along living together I will buy a safe. I have to have all my stuff moved out within the next week or so and I guess I could just spring for one on black Friday.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, guys any recommendations on a safe? I have 9 long guns and several handguns. I have looked at the Winchester ones, but I am sketchy about buying a safe a gun and ammo company makes. My max would be about $500. My expenses will be going up so looking for the cheapest, yet best value.

·
Registered
22,358 Posts
I was lucky enough to buy my safe at a scratch and dent sale. it had a small scratch on the paint on the right side. 250.00 bucks off. look around. 500.00 something will turn up.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I bought one for my son 2 years ago at Costco for just under $300. With the holidays around the corner they may go on sale here shortly.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
What part of the country are you from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, guys any recommendations on a safe? I have 9 long guns and several handguns. I have looked at the Winchester ones, but I am sketchy about buying a safe a gun and ammo company makes. My max would be about $500. My expenses will be going up so looking for the cheapest, yet best value.
I have one of those Winchester safes. It works well for what it's meant to do: keep people out and keep my guns locked up. That's my sole purpose for it. I didn't get it hoping it'd protect everything in the case of a fire, flood, tornado, or whatever kind of disaster could occur. I keep all of my guns insured through my homeowner's insurace in the case something like that happens. It does have a fire rating, but I don't expect much from it were a fire to actually occur. But, I like it. It does its job and that's all I need from it, so YMMV. Mine is a 24 gun and I can fit 7 long guns on each side, and I have a pistol rack hung on the interior of the safe that holds 5 handguns.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one of those Winchester safes. It works well for what it's meant to do: keep people out and keep my guns locked up. That's my sole purpose for it. I didn't get it hoping it'd protect everything in the case of a fire, flood, tornado, or whatever kind of disaster could occur. I keep all of my guns insured through my homeowner's insurace in the case something like that happens. It does have a fire rating, but I don't expect much from it were a fire to actually occur. But, I like it. It does its job and that's all I need from it, so YMMV. Mine is a 24 gun and I can fit 7 long guns on each side, and I have a pistol rack hung on the interior of the safe that holds 5 handguns.
I am only concerned with keeping children out. My most expensive firearm is my 1895. Everything else is cheap Savage axis, and Mark II and Mossbergs. Yes, it would be terrible to replace everything but I am almost 100% sure she doesn't have insurance. I may just leave them with a family member and pick up when needed.

·
Premium Member
10,493 Posts
Try and get a Liberty safe if at all possible or even if you have to go a little smaller than you would like.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I am in Ohio.
Probably should've picked that up from your screen name, but my brain kept seeing oilhunter2014. Take a look at Rural King they have some that are inexpensive and people seem to like them.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Go with whatever safe you can afford. Preferably with a mechanical dial lock vs. and electronic one. This is mostly to keep kids out and kids can (and will) spend the time with the digital lock trying to beat it. With a mechanical dial, not so much. Also, if you can, keep the ammo separately from the guns.

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Try used office furniture supply stores for a safe. Sometimes a bargain can be had there. Otherwise buy something new.

Don't count on any child not knowing where something in the house is kept.

Think back to your own childhood and your own home. Could your parents ever hide anything from you? Christmas presents, guns, money, their toys...

Reactions: Pereira and kraynky

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
I've had a Browning safe for close to 30 years (dial combo) and about 2 years ago I got a really good deal on a Winchester safe form TSC. I am not fond of the digital lock, but it has the same large bolts on both sides of the door as the Browning. I think it's a good safe for the $ spent (seems like it was $499 or $599).

I would not feel comfortable with a wood & glass cabinet protecting my guns these days. The safes in that price range can be moved with an appliance dolly. I brought mine home laying down on a trailer and I got it into the house by myself (walkout basement) and bolted down. It's not that big of a deal for the peace of mind they give you. You can keep the wood cabinet around for black powder guns (with a cable through them). I have yet to hear of a mass shooting with a muzzle loader. :top: I would keep the combination to myself however, maybe give it to a trusted friend or something in case of emergency.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts